Back to the Future 35th Anniversary 4k Sets Announced

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MrEWhite, Aug 4, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vahan

Vahan Forum Resident

Anymore deleted scenes found?

2. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

So the bonuses are just straight ports of the Blu-ray's bonus features? Not 4K?

3. Paul_s

Paul_s Forum Resident

Should i upgrade my Laserdisc now?

supermd and TheVU like this.
  4. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Give it another 20 years.

Paul_s and Simon A like this.
  5. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

Do they ever release these as stand alone Blu-rays? I do not have a 4k player or TV, and am satisfied with Blu. I would like this new quality transfer of these films though. So, do they ever do stand alone Blu-Ray releases out of these 4k sets?

6. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

Very definitely! Handle the Laserdisc carefully and place it on a paper plate. Use a plastic knife to gently spread strawberry preserves on both sides. Microwave for 12 minutes, let cool, then rinse with Coca-Cola and a second rinse with mineral water from a hot spring. Now, your LD will reach it's maxim! ;)

Al Kuenster and Paul_s like this.
  7. Paul_s

Paul_s Forum Resident

Only have marmalade :laugh: Oh and I found some tomato sauce as well :cheers:

[​IMG]

Rachael Bee likes this.
  8. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Assuming you're asking if there's a Blu-ray trilogy of the 2020 transfers, there is:

https://www.amazon.com/Back-Future-...x=back+to+the+future+blu,movies-tv,272&sr=1-4

Now if you're asking if you can buy the movies individually - ie, not as a trilogy - that answer remains "no".

At least not in the US. I think the films got individual releases elsewhere, but never on Blu in the US.

Which seems strange. Universal put out solo films on DVD in the US, so they're not wholly averse to the notion.

Perhaps those didn't do well so they figured it wasn't worth the effort for future releases.

Also, they re-issue the "BTTF" movies essentially every 5 years now, so I suspect they want to keep the trilogy intact for future releases...

9. Rachael Bee

You're just about ready if you live near a hot spring! A trip to Iceland might be in order. Another plausible option for our Laserdiscs are wall art or skeet practice..... ;)

Paul_s likes this.
  10. Luke The Drifter

Perfect. Yeah, I am wanting the Blu Ray version of the Trilogy.

Oatsdad likes this.
  11. Oatsdad

Mail me $1 for the referral! ;)

12. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

pretty much, the bonus disc is a blu-ray not a UHD and the bonus features on the discs are just what was available on the Blu-ray set.

Exotiki likes this.
  13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

You know, it's spherical 1980s 4-perf 35mm camera negative, probably Kodak 5293 or 5294. Under the best possible circumstances, I think negative stock like this might barely be able to resolve 4K of information. If it was scope, no way, but this was all flat 1.85.

It's extremely rare for anybody to enhance film scans these days, so I'd have to see what you're looking at to see any ringing or other artifacts that denote oversharpening. About 90% of the time, what I do in video mastering is soften the picture, particularly actors' faces, to try to knock maybe 5-10 years off in age lines. It's really rare we enhance anything, but it does happen with a shot here or a shot there... never the entire film.

I have seen the entire Back to the Future remastered version on Blu-ray, and it didn't look that bad to me on a calibrated display a few years ago. I look forward to the 4K, but I'm not expecting a gigantic improvement.

longdist01 and Billy Infinity like this.
  14. Rachael Bee

I'm gonna have to exchange my set. I watched III last night and shortly after my player hit the 48 minute mark, the picture became very pixelated and the audio disappeared. When the picture came back after about a minute, the audio was way out of sync with the mouths. I had to finish up the movie with the BD.

15. Vahan

Vahan Forum Resident

Another thing: Does it have this trailer? For some reason, all copies I've seen of this trailer are in PAL Mode.

16. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

17. Probably a bad disc, mine played through no problem on the Panasonic 9000.

18. Luke The Drifter

I do frequent your site. Nice work. :)

Oatsdad likes this.
  19. Rachael Bee

It's a very bad disc. It's not like a little glitch. It was massive pixelization and when the video came back there were little glitches and the audio was way out of sync for the couple of minutes I let it run. It's the first defective UHD-BD for me out of about 200.

20. I’ve had one bad disc out of about 100 4k’s. It was Jaws and it had a small, deep scratch. Sent it back to Amazon, and the replacement was perfect.

Rachael Bee and Vidiot like this.
  21. Oatsdad

:tiphat:

I still want the dollar, though! :D

Luke The Drifter and Exotiki like this.
  22. Rachael Bee

I can't see anything on my disc. It looks normal. Something is very wrong beneath the surface.

23. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

It definitely was on Jaws.

24. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

25. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.