Back To The Future Appreciation Thread, 35 year Anniversary

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Timeless Classics, Jun 22, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

2. Timeless Classics

Timeless Classics Senior Member Thread Starter

Yeah, you can tell just from this photo something was off.

[​IMG]

MikeInFla and Tim S like this.
  3. Timeless Classics

I love this scene in the diner, when George goes into the diner an orders a milk... Chocolate, with Etta James & The Peaches "Roll With Me Henry" playing on the jukebox...

[​IMG]

4. Timeless Classics

a great photo still from the movie - love this shot! The reactions from Bifff's crew are priceless

[​IMG]

5. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

I also recall seeing something of Clint Eastwood in Tuxedo at some awards ceremony laughing along those lines to the comment 'Everybody everywhere will say Clint Eastwood is the biggest yellow belly in the west'.

6. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

Fondly recall seeing part 1 in the cinema.
    For some unexplained/unknown reason i never went to see the sequels.

7. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

That’s heavy

team2 and MikeInFla like this.
  8. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

This is a fun movie - I did see it in the theater as a kid, fond memories. I haven't watched it in a while, but it's worth it to watch every several years or so. The sequels weren't as enjoyable ...

9. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

II is the weak one. III was better, IMHO.

MarkO and beat_truck like this.
  10. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Billy Zane was one of Biff's crew members. He's the one on the right with a toothpick in his mouth.

11. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

That's the only scenario in which I could see George and/or Lorraine connecting Marty to Calvin.

As others have said, G&L only knew Calvin for a few days - a few important days, but still, a brief period.

And they knew Marty since birth, so they'd have gotten used to his appearance as him, without it dawning on them that he looked just like some kid they knew briefly decades earlier.

Now if Marty popped into their lives abruptly as a 17-year-old without knowing him since birth, they might have that "hey!" moment.

But otherwise, the only logical way they put 2+2 together would be if their 1985 selves saw a pic of Calvin from 1955...

Rocker likes this.
  12. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Looking back on 1990, I won't say it feels like yesterday, but it doesn't feel very long ago, whereas in 1985, 1955 felt like a million years ago.

Of course, I wasn't alive in 1955 - and since I was born in 1967, I really only have an awareness of half the time period between 1955 and 1985, so obviously 1955-70 feels alien to me.

I'd love to know if anyone here was old enough in 1985 to really remember 1955, and if they viewed 1955 as feeling not very long ago in 1985 like I see 1990 now!

13. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Ever notice how the glass of chocolate milk is already sliding down the bar before George even finishes saying the word "chocolate"? :p

14. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

It blows my mind that 1990 is now the equivalent distance into the past that Marty would be travelling if the movie were remade today.

Doesn't make me feel old at all... :sigh: :p

team2 and MikeInFla like this.
  15. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

After George kisses Lorraine and their kids reappear in the photo, I always thought it would have been funny if there were more children. The reaction on Marty's face would have been priceless.

Simon A, superstar19, team2 and 5 others like this.
  16. Timeless Classics

Never put this together or thought much about Doc living in a garage at the beginning of the film, and seeing later in the film in 1955 the large house he had in 1955. Doc’s original house was at 1640 Riverside Drive (or John F. Kennedy Drive if it’s 1985). A newspaper clipping in the opening scene says Doc’s mansion somehow mysteriously burned down and the surrounding land was sold off, which is why he’s resorted to living in the property’s old garage at 1646 John F. Kennedy Drive in 1985. Later, Doc tells Marty, “It's taken me almost 30 years and my entire family fortune to realize the [time machine],” so we can infer that Doc, along with the proceeds from selling off the surrounding land, burned down his mansion to collect the insurance money to fund the creation of time machine.

This film makes you go back and forth and piece things together quite often. As with Twin Pines Mall becoming the Lone Pines Mall since Marty ran over one of Old Man Peabody's Pine trees when he first enters 1955, and the ledge on the Clocktower that is not damaged initially in the film, but Doc damages it trying to fix the clock, and we see the damage at the end of the film in the new 1985. I'm sure there are more but need to watch more carefully I suppose. The film is so entertaining that its easy to miss these subtle details.

Another crazy one is Marty eats the same meal and watches the same show in back to back nights, eating meatloaf and watching the same Honeymooners episode in 1985 with his parents, and then in 1955 the VERY NEXT NIGHT at his grandparents. Crazy to think about.

Another is the bum on the bench he calls "Red" is presumed to be the mayor from 1955, Redd Thomas. When Marty sees the tramp on the bench in 1985 he shouts out the name “Red,” which could indicate this character is Red Thomas, the mayor of Hill Valley in 1955.

Such a great film! Does anyone else have any of these easy to miss little details?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

37 Things to Look for the Next Time You Watch <em>Back to the Future</em>

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
    Binni, team2, MikeInFla and 2 others like this.
  17. Timeless Classics

Billy Zane's character name is "Match" because he always has a match in his mouth. If you look closely at the photo, it is not a toothpick, but a match. As an fyi, Biff's other 2 crew members from 1955 (besides Match) are named 3-D (since he always wears 3d glasses) and Skinhead (crewcut hairstyle, etc)

In Back To the Future II, Biff's crew/friends are back in the alternate 1985 as Biff's bodyguards when he gets rich from the Sports Almanac. In this timeline of the alternate 1985, Match still had a match in his mouth in addition to wearing a cowboy hat, 3-D had traded his 3-D glasses for a pair of customized aviators, albeit with red and blue lenses, similar to 3-D glasses, while Skinhead's hair was now gray. :) Biff's gang

18. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

I can't believe I had to read it somewhere, that it's a young Elijah Wood in BTTF2.
    Seen this a million times, and I never 'clicked'....
    (on the left)
    [​IMG]

19. Timeless Classics

I read somewhere that was his first film. Lots of great cameos in the trilogy

Rick Bartlett likes this.
  20. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

The first movie is still a classic, the sequels not so much for me.

From 2018 ...

21. Propinquity

Doesn't work. The bum from 1985 is in his 40s or 50s. That would make him too young to be the mayor from 1955. Found this:

3. When Marty McFly Got Back to 1985, You Can See a Bum Sleeping on the Bus Bench. This Was The Same Man that Was the Mayor Running for Re-Election in 1955

© Universal Pictures
    This is a rumor more than anything, but I thought that it was interesting enough to be included into the list. There is a majority that believes that Red the Bum was actually mayor Red Thomas from 1955. This is peculiar, but for those of you that believe this, I have to disappoint you, it is not true. According to the commentary by Bob Gale on the Back to the Future DVD set, this was more of an ad-lib mistake rather than a misconception.

He says that the name of the bum was ad-libbed by Michael J. Fox. Gale goes on to say that the photo of the mayor in 1955 on the campaign van is set director Hal Gausman, but the bum was played by George Flower. I am sorry to break the news to those of you that believed this was the case.

Timeless Classics likes this.
  22. Propinquity

What didn't you like about it? I thought it was ambitious, to say the least: Flying cars, "evil" alternate 1985, two Martys and Docs in 1955, and a dark cliffhanger ending. The only thing I didn't like was the portrayal of George. We all know that story and what a ****show it was.

23. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

There ought to be a poll: Jennifer I or Jennifer II?

24. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

When my buddies and I were in high school we made a cassette tape of George McFly quotes directly from the movie. We would prank call people (back before caller ID) and the call would usually start with "Why do you keep following me around?". Since there was no way to choose quotes we had no idea what would come next. It was just random quotes. Some people knew it was George McFly, others had no clue. Interesting to see what could be put together these days in a "sound board".

Willowman and Cokelike- like this.
  25. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

The other casualty of Stoltz's firing was poor Melora Hardin, who had the misfortune of being taller than Michael J. Fox.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.