Back To The Future Appreciation Thread, 35 year Anniversary

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Timeless Classics, Jun 22, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Yeah, I remember that kind of quote, too - maybe on the DVD/BD extras?

I always thought it was funny that Marty and Jennifer seemed so utterly unfazed to learn that they get married and have kids.

Yes, I know that they're in love, but c'mon. They're 17 or 18 and clearly haven't been dating that long, yet when Doc tells them that they'll be married and have kids 30 years into the future, they don't blink an eye? :D

Exotiki likes this.
  2. Oatsdad

BTW, I remember that in the 80s, I initially didn't believe Zemeckis and crew that they didn't intend/hope for a sequel, just because the ending so clearly pushed toward one.

However, the Jennifer Argument convinced me that they really did throw in the "sequel bait" ending as a lark. She was such a minor character in the first movie that it made no sense to force her into a pivotal role in a sequel if they really believed one would exist.

Even if they didn't plan on a sequel, it was still a bad move. They had to know that if the movie was a hit, there'd be pressure for a sequel, so why paint yourself into that Jennifer-inclusive corner?

They easily could've come up with an equally fun "tease" at the end that wasn't so specific - and didn't include Jennifer!

Exotiki likes this.
  3. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

Part II already has enough packed in, they didn't have time to ponder on that situation :D

4. Oatsdad

I'm not referring to "2" - I'm referring to the way Marty and Jennifer take the news in the first movie! There's no "what? we get married? kids?"

Granted, the movie doesn't give them much time to react, as it cuts pretty quickly from Doc's statement about their kids to them all crammed into the Delorean, but still...! :)

razerx likes this.
  5. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

I guess it was par for the course. Need to prep the audience for the rollercoaster ride of part II :D

6. team2

team2 Forum Resident

Their plan to push the DeLorean up to speed on the train tracks is just as ingenious and suspenseful as trying to time the lightning bolt at the clock tower in the first film. Both sequences are brilliantly filmed and directed. I also love Marty's meta-quote about them: "Why do we always have to cut these things so d*mn close?!"

7. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

8. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

9. jason88cubs

jason88cubs Forum Resident

I always hate dthe 3rd one i need to sit down someday and watch all 3

10. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

How do we know Marty, Doc Brown, Jennifer, et al. didn’t already have a hundred time travel adventures up to that point all ending up in the drive way with Biff waxing the car in 1985? It’s a time travel movie so anything goes. Maybe they got some residual memory of other time lines? I am just making this up. I should write for J.J. Abrams.

11. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

12. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

Don't all of us as stupid teenagers think we will be forever together and get married?

13. Oatsdad

I was a "late bloomer" in the dating department and didn't have a girlfriend as a teen, so I can't speak from experience.

I can say that none of my friends in HS or college were positive they'd marry their BFs/GFs - well, not until maybe 3rd or 4th year of college, when students start to think about "real life" a bit more.

And it doesn't seem like Marty and Jennifer have been dating all that long, too. The movie doesn't make it clear, but they don't seem to have been a couple for an extended period - maybe a couple months?

Anyway, in the greater scheme of things, it's a nitpick! :)

Luke The Drifter and MikeInFla like this.
  14. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

That never occurred to me.. but I DID wonder why Doc, with a TIME MACHINE, was in such a damn hurry to get to the future.

15. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

Original brilliant.

Part 2 dud.

Part 3 - not bad.

Verdict:They got my money 3 times- they win!

Cronverc likes this.
  16. Oatsdad

Ha ha - that's a good point! :D

17. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

18. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

I like the third one quite a bit. The second one is sort of muddled and unsatisfying. I later read that they didn’t want to do one that was truly set in the future because they thought it would date quickly, so that’s why they got them out of the future as quickly as possible. I also read that they were going to send them back to the 60s rather than the 50s again, and that would have been fresher than what we got.

budwhite likes this.
  19. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

Still think the first is a fantastic piece of inventive film making and very trend setting for other non BTTF films that followed.
    Part 2 slightly less but very impressed by how brave they were to have 2 simultaneous story lines going on in 1955.
    It must have been a real pain to get everything just right to match part 1 as events at the dance take place.
    It makes me wonder if anyone ever put some sort of side by side video together of certain scenes to see how well they matched up.
    Part 3 is my least favourite by still gets a good rating. I think it just gets a little too side tracked by the Doc love angle. Even though I do think Mary Steenburg is a wonderful actress and lovely looking lady.

20. Warzawa

Warzawa The Starman

Remains one of my favorite movie trilogies involving time travel. Love them

Boomy likes this.
  21. Oatsdad

Seems like "movie trilogies involving time travel" is a pretty short list! :D

22. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

I do enjoy all 3 films but I was thinking recently that the first one is a great Saturday night film while the third one is a great Sunday afternoon film. Haven't decided which day is best for the 2nd one!

MRamble likes this.
  23. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

Perfect Friday night movie!

Bink likes this.
  24. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

Would the Original Planet of the Apes series not qualify for a time travel movies?

25. Oatsdad

Sure - but not a trilogy! :shh:

That's why I commented: there ain't a lot of time-travel trilogies.

If the Terminator series stopped at 3, then it would count - but it didn't.

Outside of the Bill and Ted movies - which recently became a trilogy - I can't think of another time travel trilogy! :shrug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.