Back To The Future DVD set

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Grant, Apr 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me! Thread Starter

What is the situation with this set? What is meant by misframing? AKA raised this issue on the DSOTM defect thread.

2. AKA

AKA Senior Member

Grant,

This thread on DVDFile.com's message boards will answer your questions (scroll half-way down on the page I've linked you to).

http://www.dvdfile.com/interactive/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26076

3. ascot

ascot Senior Member

Here's another link to The Digital Bits website.

They explain the problem and how to get the replacements.

4. JoelDF

JoelDF Senior Member

And then there is this 32 page (and counting) thread at the Home Theater Forum that's been stuck to the top of the Software Forum thread list since it started last December.

Joel

5. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

I forgot about this... When you call the number, they send you a prepaid shipping return envelope. Not bad!

6. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I need to do this. Thanks for the reminder. Luckily I live in Dallas, so turn-around time and chances for anything getting lost in transit should be minimized.

7. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

I would not wait for replacements to hit the shelves. They made a ton of them and Universal, while willing to replace the second and third discs for free, does not seem willing to recall the existing stock of widescreen DVDs from store shelves or warehouses.

To save you having to slog through all of the above discussions, it boils down to the fact that there are select scenes in the widescreen versions of the second and third films that are misframed. this usually consists of cropping information that was meant to be seen on the bottom and showing a bit of the frame that should have been matted out on the top.

To get them replaced, you can call Universal at (888) 703-0010 and let them know that you want your misframed DVDs replaced. They will send you a postage paid envelope to return the discs in. They want you to just send them the two discs with the issue. You keep the packaging and the disc of the first film, and they send you replacement discs.

Regards,

8. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I just called the number. Very funny, as they operator just reads off a script about the problem. They do make an error claiming the framing problems does not affect the widescreen releases, when they really mean it doesn't affect the fullscreen versions! No matter, I just listened to the ramble and gave my info.

9. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

Shoot...I've heard about the defect and have purposely avoided buying the set in the hope that I won't have to go through that hassle. Seems to be another Univer$al cost-cuttin measure--replace it only if someone complains, and let everyone else buy up the rest.

If they would at least have some kind of indicator on the outside of the package (a date code) so we know if we need to replace them or not, it would help.

Oh well...

10. Claviusb

Claviusb A Serious Man

They will. Look around the barcode on the back for v2.0. I wouldn't start looking until about May.

11. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

The operator rattled off a 2 minute long ramble in such monotone I forgot what she said! Gave her the info and was done with it..now the months of waiting for the whole process to be completed!

12. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

Hey, that's cool. I'm in no rush to get it...worth waiting for the correct version IMHO. :)

"Safe now! Everything's lead lined."

13. Ken_McAlinden

For the record, it took almost two weeks for my return envelopes to arrive after I placed the phone call. I dropped the discs in yesterday's mail. I'll let you know when the replacements show up.

Regards,

14. Claviusb

Claviusb A Serious Man

It took longer for the free Universal envelope to come than for the fulfillment house to process my replacements. They are shipped from Dallas, so I'm going to bet you'll have your discs in 2-3 weeks, based upon the performance of the US mail service more than anything.

15. SonicZone

SonicZone Senior Member

I've been looking off and on for this newer barcode tag since about late March. The Best Buys and Circuit Citys appear to still have quite a bit of the original stock to move.

16. Michael

My return envelope was lightening FAST! 3 day's from my initial phone call...Hopefully the exchange will be that quick..

17. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

I got my return envelopes within a few days after the phone call. My replacements came in the mail just before Easter weekend--very fast indeed.

18. Ken_McAlinden

Vince Maskeeper, one of the moderators at the Home Theater Forum, pulled together all of the information from the massive thread on the BTTF DVDs and created a BACK TO THE FUTURE DVD exchange and return FAQ that pulls all of the information together nicely. Click on the link to read it.

Regards,

19. Michael

Nice job Ken...Thanks!

P.S....
    Ken, Do you know if there is a toll free number here in the US for customer service?.. Vince lists a non toll free number for customer service....
    Thanks...

20. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

I still haven't found any version 2.0 BTTF discs. I'm wondering if I should stop looking and just get the replacements.

21. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Still waiting for my replacements....

22. Ken_McAlinden

(888) 703-0010

Regards,

23. Michael

Why would you give me the same number that you previously posted? Clever...This number is NOT CUSTOMER SERVICE, I'm looking for Universals Customer Service phone number to check if they received my return yet...The above is a telemarketing company that have no info other than to take your name and mail you a return envelope for your DVD's...They don't have any further info and can't even produce Universals Customer Service Number...Amazing..ANYONE ELSE HAVE THE NEEDED PHONE NUMBER...Thanks.

24. Claviusb

Claviusb A Serious Man

Michael, Lee Marketing is the firm who handles all of the processing and shipping of the replacement discs. Universal is completely out of the loop at this point.

25. Michael

I called the above number and they said they have no way of telling if they received my return??? They don't keep a database ? Doesn't make sense?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.