Back To The Future DVD set

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Grant, Apr 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

We should still hang loose. It should be soon.

But nothing as far as today.

2. Claviusb

Claviusb A Serious Man

Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet?...

When you get your replacement DVDs (they come very well packed in a heavy cardboard box) you'll see that Lee Marketing sent them. In the meantime, as Sckott suggested... relax! :)

I can imagine a whole lot of reasons why Lee might have decided to stop telling people when their discs shipped.

3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Re: Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet?...

Hmmm, I can't think of one...If they did it right in the first place we wouldn't be exchanging anything....SO...I think I have the right to know when and If they received my exhange...Just proper customer servicing...Almost all the companies I've ever dealt with have a toll free customer service dept with your records readily available to let ya know when the returned item was received and when the replacement was shipped...Oh yea,...I'll RELAX when I receive my replacements...:D ;)

4. Michael

Re: Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet?...

Hmmm, I can't think of one...If they did it right in the first place we wouldn't be exchanging anything....SO...I think I have the right to know when and If they received my exhange...Just proper customer servicing...Almost all the companies I've ever dealt with have a toll free customer service dept with your records readily available to let ya know when the returned item was received and when the replacement was shipped...Oh yea,...I'll RELAX when I receive my replacements...:D ;)

5. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

I received my replacement discs 24 days after sending in my old discs. Everything is hunky-dory with them.

Regards,

6. Michael

I'm still waiting and there is nothing I can do about it..No Customer service telephone number...:( Oh well...

7. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Got my discs back on Friday. Took about 3 weeks from the time I called to get the envelope mailed to me. Of course I live in Dallas, so shipping time was reduced.

I wouldn't think 5 weeks would be out the question for a wait time.

I was patient, and I'm glad Universal stepped up to the plate on this one.

8. Sckott

I just got mine today. The box for 2 discs was BIG! I could have fit 2 whole BTTF DVD packages whole in one box! They even sent them in jewels!

Great that Universal did this neat thing.

9. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

OK, it's December. :D I looked at a few copies at Target, and didn't see any v2.0. Did see, next to the barcode, a vertical "#22121", whatever that means. Is there any other indication whether or not the set is the fixed version? Or can someone scan the barcode area and show me what it looks like? I'm still itchin' to get this, but don't need the return goods hassle.

10. Sckott

Unfortunately Rudy, I don't think Universal plans a recall and second run. They're only replacing those discs on request. If memory serves, someone said they're not planning to change those discs unless consumers request the swap.....which may not last very long now.

If you MUST have the aspect ratio correct for those scenes and it's important, pony up and do the buy, exchange & wait thing. It only took me a few weeks.

11. -=Rudy=-

Is there any easy way to contact them?

12. daveman

daveman Forum All Star

Ya know I meant to do this a long time ago, send them in that is, and forgot. Is this replacement program still going on?

13. Claviusb

Claviusb A Serious Man

Rudy, I can save you some time. There doesn't appear to be any version 2 discs in any US store, though people have reported (in October) seeing some sets in Canada (notably FutureShop) with a green sticker that are Version 2 sets.

What sucks is the only way to confirm is to buy the discs, open them up and look on the DVD label (see below.) It's been almost a year, and the only way to get Version 2 discs in the US is to buy the V1 discs and then call the number and order the replacement DVDs.

Daveman-- yes, the replacement program is still going on. I saw on another forum that someone just received their replacement set today.

14. -=Rudy=-

Darn. I guess I'll have to do the swappy switchy thing then. Canada, I take it, is a different region code from the U.S.?

15. Claviusb

Claviusb A Serious Man

No, same region. You could probably buy the set off of the Futureshop web site, but you *might* still have to do the switchy thing. Also, keep in mind that most Canadian releases are labeled in both English *and* French on the packaging-- in case that should matter to you.

16. -=Rudy=-

Being so close to Canada, we're used to the dual-language situation.

I did have an issue with a Canadian disc though--in my first-generation Toshiba, the Monsters, Inc. title screen, after the introductory ads, showed "Monstres Inc.". After I bought it, I wondered why my kids weren't watching it. Turns out the player was defaulting to the French lauguage track! In my DV45A, though, it plays fine.

17. tomcat

tomcat Senior Member

I still do not get it (right)... Is Part 1 also misframed or is it "only" Part 2 and 3 of the trilogy? I have the only first one and couldn't say that anything is wrong (but I watched it only once) with the picture.
    What was definitely wrong is that at least one scene (Marty as Darth Vader with the Van Halen tape in his father's bedroom) should be in the film (as I have seen it in the theater many years ago) and not in the outtake section!
    Thanks
    Thomas

18. Claviusb

Claviusb A Serious Man

Thomas, parts two and three have misframing issues, the original movie is fine. Also, the "Darth Vader" scene is still in the movie, the "outtake" is just an extended scene. (Marty talks about more stuff, as I recall.)

19. tomcat

tomcat Senior Member

Thank, Clabiusb, for the update! When I saw the DVD (RC2, of course); I thought I have missed some details of the Darth Vader scene in the DVD that I have seen in the original release back in the eighties in the cinema. I thought I saw these details only in the outtakes (the "Van Halen" marked cassette, for example), but I can be wrong... Thanks, anyway!
    All the best
    Thomas

20. daveman

daveman Forum All Star

Update time :)

I sent it for a replacement envelope back in Jan. and sent those in and got them back today. The whole process took about a 4-5 weeks, I don't remember exactly. Just letting people know it's not too late!

21. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Just got mine too.

22. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

Still waiting for my replacements. It's been about a month, since I sent the other discs back.

23. -=Rudy=-

Cruds...I'm STILL holding off buying one of these sets. I really hate to have to get something replaced like this. Wonder if I should take my chances on ordering from a Canadian retailer...

24. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

I know how you feel. The set that I got for Christmas 2002 had more than a framing problem. For some reason, a year later none of the three discs would play in my DVD player. Fortunately I was able to go to my local Tower and exchange it for another one. But lo and behold, exactly one year later there are still copies in circulation with the misframed DVD's!!! :realmad: So I end up sending those DVD's back to Universal and finally today I got my replacements from them. Hopefully and finally, I hope I don't have anymore problems... :sigh:

25. greg_t

greg_t Senior Member

You'll just get the same discs that the rest of us already have. I got mine over six months ago. No issues whatsoever. They made the exchange very simple. Make a phone call, they send you a prepaid mailer, drop the discs in the mail, and a month later the new versions arrive at your door. I don't understand why folks are so against getting the replacements.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.