Backing up SACDs now possible..

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by yamfox, Jun 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

SamS,

Am I right in thinking that your backups won't play on PS3 either, even though PS3 plays DSD Discs?

I'm not sure I'll be able to help you with SuperAuthor, as it is so long since I used it, and it would have been changed after I had my hands on it (to take into account M-ch editors, and their Edit Masters). I do know that Sonoma creates an interleaved .dff file for the audio and .edl file for the Track Start/End, and Index positions which the Sony authoring system could use directly. I was pretty sure that SuperAuthor could do the same, but I could well be wrong. Do you have mono or interleaved source files? I can't recall whether that made a difference, or not.

I'm still puzzled by the PSP aspect. It would seem that it is nothing more than a switch. The encryption groups were kept away from the rest of the development teams in order to keep the secrets secret! So, I can only relate what I was told the encryption mechanisms were supposed to do. I presume that this would be an easy firmware fix for any player manufacturer to adopt. The interesting thing then is what does this mean for the pressing plants? They no longer need a special PSP-equipped formatter on their DVD lines. Any DVD-5 line could make single-layer 'SACDs', and any DVD-9 line could make dual-layer 'SACDs'. If they do not use the name SACD, but something else, they might not have to pay an SACD royalty?

Time for folks to snap up those cheap Sony x70 and x80 Blu-Ray players that will play these discs, and then go HDMI to the DAC of your choice (which does limit your choices a bit, at this time!).

Now the $1,000,000 question: which sounds better? Original or back-up? Please explain your DBT method in full when replying! :winkgrin:

2. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Almost! I am very close. I now have the proper PS3, firmware, etc. I am just having a tough time compiling the SACD-ripper.pkg. If anyone knows anything about compiling packages via psl1ght, please PM me.

I don't know if that's a good route to take. Can DSD Discs even support 5.1? I don't know that you can author a DSD Disc like that. Of course, if you're only concerned with 2.0, that could be a workable solution.

You can't "insist" that OPPO do anything ;) I've talked to them in detail about it before, it's just not likely to happen, especially with current (or past) players.

You are correct, the backups just lock up a PS3 or reports as a Data Disc.

I think interleaved .dff. But that's not the route I'm pursuing at the moment.

All good questions, not sure I have any answers. Here is a list of players that do/do not look for the PSP keys:

Code:
    Stand alone players that can play SACD-R copies:
    Play: 
    Cambridge Audio Azur 650BD 
    Denon DVD-2910 
    Denon DVD-3910 
    Marantz UD5005 
    NAD M5 
    NAD T585 
    OPPO BDP-80 
    OPPO BDP-83 
    OPPO BDP-83SE 
    OPPO BDP-93 
    OPPO BDP-95 
    Sony BDP-S370 
    Sony BDP-S380 
    Sony BDP-S570 
    Sony BDP-S870 
    Sony BDP-S970 
    Yamaha BD-S1067 
    Do not play: 
    Accuphase DP-100 
    Denon DVD-1930 
    Denon DVD-1940 
    Denon DVD-2930 
    Integra DPS-6.9 
    Marantz DV-6001 
    Marantz SA-15S1 
    Marantz SA-7001 
    Onkyo DV-SP504 
    Oppo DV-980H 
    Parasound D3 
    Philips DVP-9000S 
    Pioneer DV-565A 
    Pioneer DV-575A 
    Pioneer DV-600AV 
    Pioneer DV-610AV 
    Pioneer DV-656A 
    Pioneer DV-696AV 
    Pioneer DV-757Ai 
    Pioneer DV-989AVi 
    Pioneer DV-LX50 
    Sherwood Newcastle SD-871 
    Sony DVP-NS900V 
    Sony PlayStation3 
    Yamaha CD-S2000 
    Yamaha DVD-S1800 
    Yamaha DVD-S2700 
    Play after the firmware update: 
    Samsung HD745/945/950 
    Samsung HD841/941
    Yep, or cheap OPPOs that output DSD over HDMI would work too.. there's several out there.

Ah! :laugh: Lemme get this last piece of the puzzle sorted, and I'll be happy to relax with a refreshing drink and listen ;)

3. EddieVanHalen

EddieVanHalen Forum Resident

A question for Black Elk and SamS: do you think there's any advantage in converting 44.1/16 sound files to DSD to author a DSD Disc or an SACD? I've made an DSD Disc out of my Japanese Gattaca soundtrack CD and on a friend's set up it sounds very fine to my ears, but I always suspected that much like vinyl, DSD has a "sonic signature" that is pleasant to the ear and that is what I'm hearing and liking from this CD to DSD Disc I created.
    Anyway, I really whish and hope Oppo include DSD Disc Playing on a future firmware.

4. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

No reason you can't try it. Personally I think it would be a lot of work with little practical benefit.

5. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

SamS,

Thanks for the list of players. I have a few that work, so will experiment with some discs next month (my colleague is making me some).

Yes, the Oppos are a good option too, but it seems like they have dumped their really low-cost models, so compared to the under-$100 price of the base Sonys, they could be considered 'pricey'. Of course, for those wanting to use the on-board audio decoding (and possibly better video decoding too), the Oppos make more sense.

EvH,

Three things can happen:

1. it will sound better;
    2. it will sound worse;
    3. it will sound no different.

Everything depends on the quality of the conversion algorithm, and whether your playback DAC(s) work better with one format over another. The same holds for 44.1/16 conversions to 16/88.2, 24/88.2, 16/96, 24/96, etc., etc. PCM.

6. EddieVanHalen

Thanks for your answer. I used Audiogate for convertion from 44.1/16 to DSD and making the DSD Disc. As I said, I tested the disc on a friend's set, not mine as the Oppo BDP-93 can't play DSD Discs.

7. omodo

omodo New Member

Sam, pm sent re compilation

8. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Thanks! Responded :D

A lot of progress has been made in the last 48 hours, not only personally, but via the online community as well. I think I'll have completed a start-to-finish solution in place later this evening, I was just missing one piece of the puzzle.

9. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

Guys, This is very exciting what you are doing here, I have got to try to get me the right PS3 to do this. IIRC, DSD Disc is strictly stereo.

10. PanaPlasma

PanaPlasma Forum Resident

I think there are already better sacd and vinyl rips on the net, with "better gear" ;)

11. EddieVanHalen

Maybe, but they are done on the analo domain, not digital clones like now.

12. mr_wicked

mr_wicked New Member

Unlike Redbook Scarletbook uses DVD sectors which are validated with a checksum by the player (like a DVD). I can assure you there is no quality loss whatsoever.

13. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

14. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

In case anyone is interested in trying this on their <3.55 SACD-capable PS3, you must use OtherOSS++3.55, not GeoHot, etc. I wasted about 2 days trying to get other cfws to work :realmad:

15. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I can report, with absolute certainty, that SACD back-ups in true DSD do work per instructions given in the original post. ISOs burned to DVD-R via ImgBurn do play just fine via my OPPO, but not in the traditional SACD PS3 ;)

Right now, I am having a problem with 5.1 SACDs only backing up/playing the 2.0 L/R channels, but I'm confident that's some error on my part that I can overcome.

16. Khojem

Khojem Forum Resident

Great job SamS! Please keep us updated.

17. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Cool stuff.

18. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

19. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Yep, can 100% confirm now that stereo and 5.1 DSD sectors can be backed up, burned and played via OPPO Blu-ray players.

20. etzeppy

etzeppy Forum Resident

What format is the resulting DVD-R disc? I wouldn't think it would be DVD-V or DVD-A? Is it a cloned disc that your player sees as an SACD?

21. pronghorn

pronghorn Forum Resident

Wow

Great news indeed

The biggest downfall of SACD is no longer

amen

22. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

The burned disc format is SACD. It lacks the PSP encryption keys on pressed discs, so it doesn't play on every player. However, it does play on several current models.

I can also convert the stereo and 5.1 tracks from straight DSD (DSDIFF, technically) to 88.2/24, 176.4/24 PCM, etc.

23. Congratulations, Sam.:thumbsup: This is a day I never thought I would see, the news really needs to be announced on other SACD-centric forums. You might want to post the news on here, http://www.ps3sacd.com/forums/. A number of sites I could think of would be very interested in hearing your developments on the matter.

24. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

That's the website of Forum member The 7th Taylor.

25. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

:thumbsup: I really can't take much credit for this, other than actually doing it ;) Forum member mr_wicked developed the code related in the first post.

The folks on the ps3sacd forums don't seem too interested in it, but there are a few other places that gave me some pointers.

True, it is a day I thought I'd never see as well!

Although this is still a relatively new procedure, it can be accomplished rather simply (now that I know what I'm doing), as long as you have a SACD-capable PS3 with sub-3.55 firmware. With a few tweaks to the firmware, you can be off and running in under an hour.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.