Backing vocals that make recordings special

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RickH, Mar 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts Thread Starter

Paul McCartney's "Teddy Boy", in the last verse there's a neat-sounding, somewhat haunting backing vocal (not sure if it's Linda or Paul or both) that really makes this song.

Another example of lovely backing vocals are John Lennon in "Lovely Rita", the "aaah-aah-aah" right before Paul goes, "Rita!" and the piano comes in.

And in "If I Needed Someone", the backing vocals are heavenly.

What other tunes can you come up with that have backing vocals that really compliment the song & arrangement? (trying to distinquish here between "harmony" and backing vocals, although the two go hand-in-hand).

2. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

I can think of a ton of late-'60s Kinks songs that fit this category, thanks to the uncredited contributions of Ray Davies's then-wife, Rasa. (Think "Waterloo Sunset", "Sunny Afternoon")

3. guy incognito

Another one: gospel greats the Dixie Hummingbirds on Paul Simon's "Loves Me Like a Rock".

4. reechie

reechie Senior Member

The eerie "Beach Boys From Hell" ahhh's on The Smithereens' "Drown In My Own Tears".

5. Stax Fan

Stax Fan Forum Resident

I'll toss one in...

Aretha Franklin "Respect". Great performance by Aretha obviously, but pretty fine back-up as well. :cool:

6. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

Harmonies on "Don't Fear the Reaper" by BOC.

7. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

The countermelody on the last repeat of the chorus to "He Thinks He'll Keep Her" by Mary Chapin Carpenter gives me goose bumps every time.

Mick Jagger on all but the first chorus of "You're So Vain" by Carly Simon.

Another great countermelody is on "Scarborough Fair/Canticle" by Simon & Garfunkel. Paul Simon took a song he had done on The Paul Simon Songbook called "The Side of a Hill" and adapted it for the "canticle" in their version. Magical.

And how many Elvis Presley records just wouldn't be the same without The Jordanaires or his later backing vocalists?

8. dcooper

dcooper New Member

Damn it! I was going to say Mick Jagger on "You're So Vain"!

I also love Michael McDonald's work in "Peg." How DOES he hit that note every time?

9. Stax Fan

Stax Fan Forum Resident

Nice...tough to beat the Jordanaires.

10. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

How about the Andantes on any number of Motown tracks, especially the Four Tops hits. "Bernadette", in particular, has those great "ahhhhhhhhs". I assume vocal groups with uniformly great backing harmonies such as The Temptations are not fair game for this thread since there are so many good ones.

Regards,

11. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

The Beach Boys (at least some of them) backing up Chicago on "Wishing You Were Here." Goosebump city! :agree:

12. BZync

BZync Senior Member

Way back in 1981, I was working at Manhattan Savings Back (at 86th & Third) as a teller. A pretty woman comes up to my window and hands me a passbook with the name Desmond Child on it. "As in Desmond Child & Rouge", I ask. "Yes," she replies, "I'm one of Rouge."

"I bought your album for the hit (Our Love Is Insane) but my favorite song turned out to be Loving Your Love because of the amazing backing vocals."

"I do the backing vocals on that track," she said excitedly.

"Oh, they're great," I say, and I actually had the nerve to demonstrate by singing them to her. To my delight she jumped right in and we sang two lines of the backing vocals together.

Oh, the mindless confidence of the young. Nowadays I'd never have the nerve to sing right to the singer who originated the part.

-BZync

keyXVII likes this.
  13. JohnT

JohnT Senior Member

I'll throw in Stevie Nicks backing up Lindsey Buckingham on 'Blue Letter'.

14. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Hoodoo Gurus' Good Times... great harmonies by The Bangles

15. LowRideDuh

LowRideDuh Member

IMHO , the woman singing the back up on the Climax Blues Band's sond " Using The Power " is So Powerful and Sensual Sounding.... ohh la la lol

16. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

Anything by Flo & Eddie on a T. Rex album...
    Also "Maybe I Know" by Lesley Gore...
    Care of Cell 44 by the Zombies

17. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

Anytime the Beatles sang back up on a song.

18. Dave D

Dave D Done!

How about the pseudo Beach Boys harmonies on Pink Floyd's The Wall by Bruce Johnson and Toni Tenille!

19. Roscoe

Roscoe Active Member

John Stewart - Gold & Midnight Wind (Stevie Nicks)
    Elton John - Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me (some of the Beach Boys and Toni Tenille)
    Rick James - Super Freak (Temptations)
    Linda Ronstadt - I Never Will Marry (Dolly Parton)

20. trumpetplayer

trumpetplayer Senior Member

Billy Joel - River of dreams

21. Murph

Murph Enjoy every sandwich!

I always thought Michael Anthony's background vocals with Van Halen were underrated and really helped define their sound.

Murf

22. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

Wishing You Were Here by Chicago (from Chicago VII) back up vocals by Carl Wilson, Dennis Wilson & Al Jardine . This song reached the Billboard chart at no. 11 in 1974 while the album reached no. 1.

23. guy incognito

How about John and Paul lending their best falsettos to the Stones' "We Love You" and "Dandelion"? (I don't think they're credited on the latter song, but you can't tell me it ain't them.)

24. Loud Listener

Loud Listener Forum Resident

The Only Living Boy In New York - Simon & Garfunkel. Gives me goosebumps everytime I hear it.

25. Cousin It

Cousin It Senior Member

That is an excellent example. :righton:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.