Backwards Guitar - only 2 songs are improved by it. Discuss

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cartologist, Jun 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

:agree: I actually think it's better than the solo in "I'm Only Sleeping", which doesn't finish very well.

2. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

From the 1978 Trouser Press article on Syd Barrett:

Jerry Shirley agrees that Barrett was bizarre during the
    sessions. On the day the backing tracks to "Dominoes" (a
    beautiful song with a haunting arrangement) were recorded with
    great success, enthusiasm was running high. Dave was with Syd
    trying to get a lead guitar track, but Barrett couldn't play
    anything that made sense. In a brainstorm Gilmour turned the
    tape around and had Syd play guitar to the tracks coming at him
    backwards. "It played back," Shirley says, "and the backwards
    guitar sounded great; the best lead he ever played. The first
    time out and he didn't put a note wrong."

http://www.schizophrenia.com/stories/sbarrett.htm

3. rdnzl

rdnzl Forum Resident

I didn't even know that there is backwards guitar on "Are You Experienced" - I guess that means that it works really well in that song :D. On most other songs I agree - it's really just a gimmick...

4. audiodrome

audiodrome Senior Member

If I do say so myself :D here's a good example of backwards guitar on a psychedelic song I recorded back in the early '90s. I even did it the old-fashioned way by flipping the tape over. I used my '62 Strat with a volume pedal, whammy bar and tons of echo and reverb. The way it sweeps in and out of the track is very effective and creates a very nice ethereal ambience. Also check out the harp-like guitar effect in the middle section. In retrospect I feel that the lyrics are a little pretentious and slightly juvenile but the backing track is pretty cool.

Spaces In Between - She Does The Things

5. reechie

reechie Senior Member

The backwards guitar at the fade of The Smithereens' "House We Used To Live It" is pretty damn cool, actually.

And Pete's backwards guitar track underneath The Who's "Armenia City In The Sky" absolutely makes that track rock.

6. cartologist

cartologist Just the son of an Iowa girl Thread Starter

Well, it fits there just fine. In the aforementioned Buff and Byrds songs it is egregious.

7. elektrikjester

elektrikjester Forum Resident

I'll also add Adrian's solo from "Three of a Perfect Pair" to this list of well-done guitar solos. King Crimson (both RF and AB) has recorded a number of these over the course of their career, and I find them to be tasteful and advancing the songs.

8. cartologist

:righton: A perfect explanation of my thinking on the topic. :)

9. "Pre-Road Downs" from Crosby, Stills & Nash's first album employs great use of backwards guitar, and the live version on 4 Way Street is absolutely incredible.

10. cartologist

No need to go to the tape, I have that and Live on the Double Planet. As with Belew, I thought Hedges was just being the guitar ninja he was. "Because It's There" is an even example of better of his style.

11. cartologist

I risk heresy to say that McCartney finishes his 'musical notions' (and some of John's) better than just about anyone, for better or worse. The freakiest song finishing up the Beatles' freakiest album. I think the whole song is backwards except John's Leslie vox. :D

12. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

KISS has several solos that are backwards. Hard Times from Dynasty and Almost Human from Love Gun, among others. Great songs and great usage, by the way.

13. BZync

BZync Senior Member

I like the use of backwards guitar on Marmalades's "Reflections Of My Life". It mixes backwards & forwards guitar until you almost can't tell where one ends & the other begins. Very well done.

(It also has the coolest McCartney type bassline).

14. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

"What's The Frequency Kenneth" by R.E.M. would probably not be a standout track for the band without Peter Buck's solo.

15. McGruder

McGruder Eternal Musicphile

Alex Lifeson, Rush - Mystic Rythms from the Power Windows album. Nicely used for the slow guitar solo.

16. Skip Reynolds

Skip Reynolds Legend In His Own Mind

Okay, don't all jump on me at once for being so STOO PIDD, but:

I've always thought that the three guitar notes in the intro of "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" are backwards, and are perfect because it's "just enough."

17. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

I think the backward ending on Rain makes a great song even better.

18. Studio_Two

Studio_Two Forum Resident

The Backwards Guitar track on Amazing Journey (The Who, Tommy) runs all the way through the song - and it's scary as hell....

19. reechie

reechie Senior Member

I don't think there's any backwards guitar at all on "While My Guitar Gently Weeps". Just Clapton playing forwards.

20. Studio_Two

Studio_Two Forum Resident

I think the original (still unissued) version has backwards guitar. I'd love to hear that one...

21. tomd

tomd Senior Member

The Red Hot Chili Pepper's "Slow Cheetah" is greatly enhanced by a backwards guitar.The guitar is this particular songs reminds the listener of elephants in the forrest (at least that's my take on it).The song itself though brings to mind Hendrix's "Castles Made of Sand".

22. Hard Panner

Hard Panner Baroque Popsike & Fuzz

Too many great songs with backwards guitar on 'em. Love it all.

23. ArneW

ArneW Senior Member

I agree. Among the most popular may be Nancy Sinatra's "You Only Live Twice" (the theme song from the James Bond movie of the same title).

24. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I used to play that. It is just forward.

25. boyfromnowhere

boyfromnowhere Senior Member

Me too. I even recorded backwards guitar on a song my band did just because I thought it would be fun. I don't care if it's serves any real artistic purpose. I just think it sounds cool.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.