Bad Cover Tunes

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Vaughan, Aug 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thomas Casagranda

Thomas Casagranda Forum Resident

I don't.......I just love JJ Cale's original, followed by Skynyrd's live version from One From The Road, chased down with Eric Clapton's cover on the JJ Cale tribute album.

I think if Johnny said to John Carter "Son, you cannot sing rockabilly like me", excised his vocals, and included Ace Cannon's sax work, then it would have been a decent cover. On his previous album, Johnny Cash Is Coming to Town, he did a great rockabilly version of Elvis Costello's The Big Light.

2. Thomas Casagranda

Thomas Casagranda Forum Resident

I happen to like Dennis Wilson's shot vocals on In The Still of The Night.

Lightworker and starduster like this.
  3. It's one of the better covers.

4. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Deicide's cover of Deep Purple's "Black Night." Actually, the music isn't so bad...it's the "vocals."

5. clayton

clayton Senior Member

Anything on the Sgt. Pepper movie soundtrack

6. fenderesq

fenderesq In Brooklyn It's The Blues / Heavy Bass 7-7

Not too bad...

HORRENDOUS & SAD! Or as The Tribe would say... Oy Vey!

I think this was played over and over and over... at Guantanamo. The definition of Cruel and Unusual punishment. *Waterboarding would have been a relief.

Thanks a lot Land... How do I wipe the internal hard drive in my brain?

*Apologies to anyone offended by this and doesn't read it as an attempt at humor.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  7. captainsolo

captainsolo Forum Resident

Most of the ones posted are of songs not fitting a band’s style or not being reinvented enough to suit that said style. Some posted are actually great and I’ve been introduced to some I’ve never heard of.
    But this belongs in its own category and cannot possibly be topped unless someone else tried to completely undo a song’s meaning when they obviously didn’t get it in the first place.

For me personally, the two GnR covers are some of the worst things I’ve ever been tortured with by consistent radio airplay.
    I adore R.E.M.’s Toys in the Attic which has plenty of humor and one of the few covers I feel eclipses the original.

But I think for overall best reinterpretation of songs in cover versions-I don’t think you can do much better than what The Cardigans did with their Sabbath and Thin Lizzy ones. Totally reworked and transformed yet still maintain the song’s core like any good cover should.

8. maandrade

maandrade Forum Resident

I don't know if anyone mentioned Yoko, but this is my choice:

9. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

10. Moshe

Moshe "Silent in four languages."

Annie Lennox -
    Train In Vain and Whiter Shade Of Pale

Turned them into adult contemporary schmaltz.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.