Bad News On The Doorstep (Stars gone too soon) *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wildest cat from montana, Jul 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader Thread Starter

Buddy Holly , Eddie Cochrane , Sam Cooke , Otis Redding , Jimi Hendrix , John Lennon....and the list goes on.
    Souls gone unexpectedly.
    Your thoughts and memories about them.

2. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

I remember that morning when I heard on the radio that Amy Winehouse had died the night prior. Now that was a shock! I love her music ever since I heard "In My Bed" on a promo disc, ca. 2004, as a 5 year old. Coincidentall, I talked about said morning with a friend earlier today as we listened to the Lioness album. We were both in a state of incredible sadness when the news came through. I mean, it wasn't a surprise (given all the drugs and other problems she went through), but still it hit us big time.

3. JohnS

JohnS Senior Member

I thought this sounded like a discussion about mail order packages damaged on delivery...

4. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

5. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

“A long long time ago
    I can still remember how
    That music used to make me smile
    And I knew if I had my chance
    That I could make those people dance
    And maybe they'd be happy for a while

But February made me shiver
    With every paper I'd deliver
    Bad news on the doorstep
    I couldn't take one more step

I can't remember if I cried
    When I read about his widowed bride
    Something touched me deep inside
    The day the music died
    So...”

unclefred and Audiowannabee like this.
  6. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Or, a malicious neighborhood prankster left a “stinky flaming pie” on your front porch...

Chilli and Dudley Morris like this.
  7. bvb1123

bvb1123 Rock and Roll Martian

The first one to really affect me was John Lennon's assassination. I had just turned 10 about a week or two earlier and was a giant music fan especially The Beatles. It was a Tuesday morning and I was listening to The White Album while getting ready for school. My parents came to my room and asked me to come into the living room where our TV was at. I knew something was up because they both looked a little shaken up. They took me to the TV where I watched the anchors on the Today show talk about how John Lennon had been killed and went to a remote reporter at the scene at the Dakota which was packed with fans singing John's music. It was my first time dealing with anyone's death that I either knew or was a fan of. I don't remember much of that day but I must have been pretty shaken up because my parents let me stay home from school where I occasionally watched news reports about it and listened to Beatles' albums. It was a very sad and mind-numbing experience.

8. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

I am unfortunately too young to have co-existed with John Lennon, Hendrix, etc.

Although recently the two deaths that really affected me were Prince and Chris Cornell. Both gone too soon, both had very sad unfortunate endings, and both were artists I thought would be around for a long long time still

9. TerpStation

TerpStation "Music's not for everyone."

Death don't have no mercy.

kendo, willwin and Myke like this.
  10. Wildest cat from montana

I was shocked by Lennon's murder. I didn't hear about it until the following morning and I found out in a strange way.
    I had a usual routine then of waking up , showering and then shaving before catching the bus to work. While shaving I played the radio.At that time of day they always had a highlight/spotlight on a specific artist ( the Stones , Elton John etc-) and would play a handful of that artist's songs. When I turned on the radio 'Woman' was playing followed by '#9 Dream' and then 'Imagine ' . I finished shaving during 'Imagine' and turned the radio off , got dressed and went out to catch the bus. When I got on the bus everybody , and I mean everybody , was reading the local morning newspaper. The headline was "John Lennon Murdered" .A shock ran through me.I will never forget that feeling.

Price.pittsburgh and pseudopod like this.
  11. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Or porch pirates, and how useless security cameras really are. You get to watch them steal your stuff, but they rarely ever get caught, so...:shrug:

Anyway, Death ? Yeah, happens to all of us eventually. Celebrity death ? Well, really can't remember my first. Family death started with my father, I was 8 years old. After that, everybody started dropping like flies.
    At least with musicians, and actors, we have the work they left behind, so I don't "miss" them, esp. if I never met them in the first place.
    I love the irony of how I ended up moving next to the main cemetery in this town.:laugh:

unclefred and lightbulb like this.
  12. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

John Lennon ? Y'all must turn in early. They announced it on Monday Night Football, then it was on Nightline. I used to have all of it on VHS, as I taped all of it that night.

13. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

Not the thread I'd hoped for. I was expecting at least one more bloody sausage

14. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

Your story is similar to mine. I was 10 1/2 and and like you felt much older in my appreciation of The Beatles.
    My dad pulled my brother and I aside before school to tell us the news.
    Parents letting their kids know as if it was a loved one shows you how important The Beatles were.
    I remember radio stations totally scrapping formats and playing Beatles and solo Lennon material though Christmas.
    What a crappy Christmas and even worse hearing Happy Xmas (War Us Over).

15. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Senior Member

I was in Paris on vacation in 1994 when Kurt Cobain died. The first awareness I had about his death was walking by one of those typically Parisian news stands near Place St. Michel, and seeing his picture and the headline in French. While I wasn't a fan of his music (I'm from the Hendrix/Joplin era), I understood his impact on music, and on youth. It was especially interesting to see first-hand that his death was more than just headline news in the U.S.

16. RedRoseSpeedway

RedRoseSpeedway Music Lover

I was very very shocked and saddened at the deaths of both Mark Hollis and Peter Tork this year, in the same month. I miss them even though I’ve never met them! R.I.P. to both :cry:

17. Wildest cat from montana

Tom Petty's passing was another blow. God ! I love 'Wildflowers '

18. Wildest cat from montana

Johnny Clegg. Today.

Eric_Generic likes this.
  19. edrebber

edrebber Forum Resident

I remember, after the death of Lennon, how opinions changed about the Double Fantasy album.

andrewskyDE and MPLRecords like this.
  20. Wildest cat from montana

That was to be expected. Rightly or wrongly.
    For instance , I doubt " Just Like Starting Over" would have been #1 if what happened hadn't.

21. bloodisthin

bloodisthin And after all, we're only ordinary men

Honestly still haven't gotten over Tom Petty.

22. Crimson jon

Crimson jon Forum Resident

The big one for me was kurt cobain and to a lesser extent layne Staley. Cobain's death came as a preteen but I had the cassette of Nevermind from my brother so I felt the pain...it was so sudden and to my young mind it was unimaginable someone would take their own life.

23. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

You know what else is sad. Most of the younger people on this thread (including myself) will grow up and one day, all the Beatles will be gone. We are fortunate to still have Paul and Ringo but still, that day only marches closer. I’m hoping to get an autograph of the 4 before that day comes

24. Dulzaina

Dulzaina Well-Known Member

I've never really understood putting people on pedestals and getting emotional over musicians/celebrities that we were not close to. Even if I admired their art. Family and friends yes, but just like hero worshiping, I find it too far.

However I remember getting in the car and turning on 3RRR (radio station) on New Years Eve morning and they were playing a Roland S. Howard song. Nothing out of the ordinary as he'd released his album that year (quickly due to health). Then they announced he'd passed away the night before. I must admit feeling some emotions that day and read some interviews where he was fearing death and his love of art and life. Other than that, nothing really comes to mind.

25. I was stunned "silent" when Rudolph Valentino passed away....yes I am old and famous people have been dying all my life. :tiphat:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.