Badfinger...anyone listening lately?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RoryStorm, Jan 28, 2015.

1. Apollo C. Vermouth

Apollo C. Vermouth Forum Resident

First time I've ever seen this:

They really should get all of the documentaries together. Count about 3 different ones so far. It sill is a tragic story about how EVIL the music industry can be.

keyXVII and Tex_Writer like this.
  2. Beatledust

Beatledust Forum Resident

"Timeless" is my favorite track from the Ass album. I remember getting a used German Apple copy of Straight Up on vinyl for my 20th birthday. Before putting it on the turntable, the only track I'd heard was "Day After Day." After listening to the album, I made the decision to champion Badfinger to my dying day. They were that good, and deserved much better than what they received. A great band, who never truly got their due.

heatherly and Shak Cohen like this.
  3. Tom34772

Tom34772 Forum Resident

I listened to "Wish You Were Here" last night and I have to say it's fairly amazing. If you listen to the sounds, the way the album is mixed and the songwriting -- it sounds like the first modern power pop album.

When I listen, I can hear things that R.E.M., Teenage Fanclub, Jellyfish, and Matthew Sweet would emulate throughout their careers.

Or maybe it was the Thai food I ate for dinner last night...

--Tom

granata, badfinger54 and Shak Cohen like this.
  4. RoryStorm

RoryStorm Forum Resident Thread Starter

I love Head First also ! Took me a while to get into it...but once I did I think it is fantastic!

5. RoryStorm

RoryStorm Forum Resident Thread Starter

I like it!

6. I'd also like to see the Behind the Music special appear on DVD or blu but it's highly unlikely due to rights issue with the songs.

longdist01 and RoryStorm like this.
  7. mfp

mfp Senior Member

I like it and I cannot lie.

No seriously, I too have been on a Badfinger bender lately. No Dice and Straight Up are classics, but the others are great too. Wish You Were Here, for instance, is excellent.

Beatledust likes this.
  8. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

And you guys got me on one.......I put the unreleased third album in the car and played it today.

9. heatherly

heatherly Well-Known Member

Not much of a spoiler alert but the three clowns in the movie Horrible Bosses 2 singing along to a Badfinger gem were the best part of that pile o' crap.
    Hope Pete's family got a few grand out of it.

10. lobo

lobo Music has always been a matter of Energy to me...

I have nearly all their albums and some rarities, but my favourites remain "Wish you were here" and "Straight up". "Wish you were here" imo is one of the few "lost classics" that really deserves to be called so.

MisterPleasant and hotsoup like this.
  11. Beatledust

Beatledust Forum Resident

Does anybody else remember how frustrating it was to find any Badfinger material in the 80's? I used to hear their hits on the oldies and classic rock stations, yet when I went to the local record shops to look for their stuff, nobody had anything, and if they did, it was royally expensive. In fact, I can remember one of the shops having a used copy of "Straight Up" behind the counter for $100. That was way too expensive to a high school kid, working a minimum wage job. In fact, I didn't score my first Badfinger album, until after I started college, when Apple finally got the reissue campaign going around 1991. I'm just glad I stuck it out, and waited because the payoff was huge! As I mentioned in my previous post, this is a band I'll champion forever. Long live Badfinger!

12. Mark Nelson

Mark Nelson Forum Resident

My uncle had all the Badfinger albums when I was a kid in the mid-80s, so I had tapes of it all without any hunting. When I decided I wanted the albums for myself,
    I was actually able to find the apple LPs fairly easily, despite hearing how hard they were to come by. I do recall visiting a CT record store and seeing STRAIGHT UP on the wall
    for a high price, and seeing bootlegs of that album with a red-tinted cover at record shows.

13. sgtpppr84

sgtpppr84 Forum Resident

I still have the bootleg with the red-tinted cover. Never pull it out but it sits on the shelf with the rest of their albums and a few live bootlegs.

14. Apollo C. Vermouth

Listening to 3 German 45's of Badfinger that I won on Ebay a couple of weeks ago. 'Rock Of All Ages' is definitely a different mix as the B-Side to 'Come and Get It' then it is on Magic Christian Music LP. Can anyone else confirm this?

longdist01 likes this.
  15. EProphet

EProphet Forum Resident

Straight Up is a great album

16. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

Hey for $7 the Icon collection is pretty good. I am listening right now.

heatherly likes this.
  17. 389 Tripower

389 Tripower Just a little south of Moline

Yes I do remember! I was in heaven when the CD's came out in the 00's, and ebay fixed me up with the 45's!

18. Bobbo

Bobbo Well-Known Member

Just finished listening to the Apple/Universal comp in the Icon series, just a little over an hour ago.
    Spooky!
    Love Badfinger. I moved on to the A side "DSOTM" after. If anybody says "snap" I will sleep very uneasily tonight. :laugh:

19. 389 Tripower

389 Tripower Just a little south of Moline

I did notice that the (US) Rock of All Ages 45 single mix sounds different than the CD album version, even though both stereo. For example the piano is more upfront on the 45.

20. Apollo C. Vermouth

'Better Days', the B-Side to 'No Matter What' is also a different mix. Clocking in at 2:50 which is about 1:10 less than the LP version. It's not a edit of the LP version...it's a different take or different mix.

21. Bobbo

Bobbo Well-Known Member

Apparently that version of "Better Days" didn't please somebody. It was pulled and replaced by "Carry On 'Til Tomorrow" on later pressings.

22. sgtpppr84

sgtpppr84 Forum Resident

"Better Days" was the B-side to "No Matter What" in the UK while "Carry On Till Tomorrow" was the B-side in the US.

D.B. likes this.
  23. Bootleghofner

Bootleghofner Forum Resident

It's not a different take/mix. It IS an edit of the LP version.

longdist01 likes this.
  24. Calico

Calico Senior Member

As confusing as Joey having a song called "Walk Out In The Rain" on his latest album, which has nothing to do with the Badfinger song of that name on "Magic Christian Music".
    But then, that album also has a song called "Yesterday".
    And this form a guy that had a song called "Love Me Do" on Badfinger's "No Dice" album...

This was quickly corrected on a subsequent reissue a few months later. The first CD issue has also sleevenotes written by Dan Mantovina, which was of course corrected to Matovina on the 2nd pressing.

Isn't that edit of "Better Days" also the one used for the US LP version, while the UK has the full version?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  25. Apollo C. Vermouth

The single of 'No Matter What' that I was playing was the German single. This is a pic of the lot I won from Germany:

[​IMG]

The mix/take on 'Better Days' is different than the LP version. Don't know which take/mix is on the US single or UK single...but this one is definitely different. Not just the time, but you can hear the vocals much more up front and some of the instrumentation is different. Also, Joey's vocal is different than the album version.

jricc likes this.