"Badfinger" & "Wish You Were Here" Expanded Editions 11/02/18

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mark Wilson, Sep 12, 2018.

1. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

August 1, 1974 Test Pressing for "Wish You Were Here" sold on eBay for $420.00.

[​IMG]

2. Cast Iron Shore

Cast Iron Shore Forum Resident

I’d much rather have this than the $9000 one listed upthread. Not that I have $420 lying around either. they got all the tracks correct for once. Edit: not true: they listed “in the meantime/some other time” as just “meantime” and listed “meanwhile back at the ranch/should I smoke” as “meanwhile back at the ranch,you” and “Love Time” as “Love Song” and “ got to get out of here” as “Gotta get out of here “ and “know one knows” as “no one knows”

Do you have a link for this auction? I can’t find it when I do a search on eBay, It only gives me active auctions

Last edited: Dec 20, 2021
  3. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

It sold over the weekend for $420.00 apparently and i just shared the item in the Thread yesterday.

4. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Last edited: Feb 1, 2022
    Hep Alien, murch, Mark Wilson and 3 others like this.
  5. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Pete Ham's song "Know One Knows" from 'Wish You Were Here' LP on Warner Bros is being included on a collection of artists from late 60's through mid 70's.

Miles Out to Sea: The Roots of British Power Pop 1969-1975, 3CD Box Set
    Due out - July 22, 2022
    Grapefruit Records/Cherry Red Record
    CRSEGBOX112

[​IMG]

Pre-order online:
    Miles Out To Sea: The Roots Of British Power Pop 1969-1975, 3CD Box Set - Cherry Red Records

A 3 CD Boxset, Seventy-four track collection spanning the years 1969-1975.

Four-hour anthology of recordings that anticipated the late 70s Power Pop movement

• Featuring Badfinger, Slade, The Move, Stealers Wheel, Pilot, Dave Edmunds, Brinsley Schwarz, Honeybus, The Kinks, The Who, etc

While the early 70s musical landscape in Britain was largely dominated by introspective singer/songwriters, Bubblegum Pop and underground Rock bands, a handful of acts bravely continued to pursue the classic mid-60s group sound.

With the aid of increasingly sophisticated recording studios, they majored in crisp, muscular, hook-laden three-minute pop songs, bursting with chiming Rickenbacker guitars, irresistible choruses and Beatles/Beach Boys-inspired close harmonies.

A few (Slade, Pilot, the ill-starred Badfinger) found commercial success, but the likes of Starry Eyed And Laughing, Shape Of The Rain and Octopus proved to be the right bands at the wrong time – too late for the British Invasion that had swept America in the mid-60s, too early to hitch a ride on the late 70s Power Pop bandwagon.

‘Miles Out To Sea’ assembles the pick of these recordings, with household names and hit singles (including The First Class’s classic Beach Boys cop ‘Beach Baby’) joined by cult Power Pop names (Rockin’ Horse, Liverpool Echo, Pagliaro) obscure one-off 45s (Atlantis, Fresh Air, Big Star-soundalikes Rotten To The Core), cuts from privately-pressed or non-UK albums (Rusty, Shakane, Majority One, Ironbridge) and many unreleased-at-the-time tracks (including pre-Records band The Fabulous Ratbites From Hell and a previously- unissued demo by pre-Rusty act Sheephouse, who cut a collectable Decca single).

Featuring a clamshell box design that houses a lavishly-annotated and illustrated 48-page booklet, ‘Miles Out To Sea’ is a fascinating document of a musical genre that would only really be identified and cherished after the fact. File under Pure-Pop-For-Then-People.

Track Listing:

DISC ONE

1 MILES OUT TO SEA – Slade
    2 JUST A SMILE (original single version) – Pilot
    3 BIGGEST GOSSIP IN TOWN (single version) – Rockin’ Horse
    4 SOME SING, SOME DANCE – Pagliaro
    5 RAINCHILD – Octopus
    6 I’LL BE THERE – Shape Of The Rain
    7 GOING DOWN – Starry Eyed And Laughing
    8 PLEASE, ELIZA – Shakanea
    9 DON’T LET ME WAIT TOO LONG – Rotten To The Core
    10 BLACK MOURNING BAND – Honeybus
    11 YOU LIED ABOUT YOUR AGE – Bachdenkel
    12 (WHAT’S SO FUNNY ‘BOUT) PEACE LOVE AND UNDERSTANDING – Brinsley Schwarz
    13 WHEN WILL I BE LOVED – Dave Edmunds
    14 NIGHTINGALE CRESCENT – Unicorn
    15 BRIGHTON ROCK – Rusty
    16 YOU MADE ME STAND UP STRAIGHTER – Byzantium
    17 BICYCLE DRIVER – Neil Harrison
    18 TRY ME – The Tremeloes
    19 PEPPERMINT TWIST – Sweet
    20 SHE WROTE ME A LETTER – Marmalade
    21 LOVE’S MADE A FOOL OF YOU – Raw Holly
    22 STRANGE AFFAIR – Help Yourself
    23 LET YOUR LOVE GO – Paintbox
    24 WHERE I BELONG – Gerry Rafferty
    25 FRESH AS A DAISY – Ragamuffin

DISC TWO

1 KNOW ONE KNOWS – Badfinger
    2 CHINATOWN – The Move
    3 GIRL ON THE TRAIN – Liverpool Echo
    4 LONELY NORMAN – Jimmy Campbell
    5 FORGET HER – Nimbo
    6 GET BACK HOME – Majority One
    7 DANGEROUS BACON – Stackridge
    8 GO AS YOU PLEASE – Stealers Wheel
    9 SECOND TIME AROUND – Keith Riley
    10 CHAMPION THE UNDERDOG – Sutherland Brothers and Quiver
    11 ALRIGHT MA! – Stray
    12 I AIN’T GOT TIME – Atlantis
    13 SOMETIMES I WONDER – Sheridan and Rick Price
    14 SO YOUNG AND IN LOVE – Bo’ Flyers
    15 SOMETHING’S GOING ON – Ducks Deluxe
    16 ORDINARY BOY – Small Wonder
    17 LEAVIN’ ‘OME – The Hammersmith Gorillas
    18 ZURICH 17 (BE MY BABY)- Hollywood Brats
    19 GIRLFRIEND – Octopus
    20 HOLE IN THE SKY* – Sheephouse
    21 MONEY MAKES THE WORLD – Billy Bates
    22 SPARKLE – The Fabulous Ratbites From Hell
    23 THE RING OF TRUTH – Bachdenkel
    24 IN A HAND OR FACE – The Who
    25 ROLLING HOME AGAIN – Budgie

DISC THREE

1 THIS MAN HE WEEPS TONIGHT – The Kinks
    2 DON’T YOU EVER THINK I CRY? – Rockin’ Horse
    3 WE’RE NOT THEIR BOYS – Shape Of The Rain
    4 LET ME TELL YOU – Fickle Pickle
    5 BABY (I GOTTA GO) – Simon Turner
    6 SMILE (MY SMILER’S SMILE) – Liverpool Express
    7 I DON’T NEED YOU ANY MORE – Penny Arcade
    8 IT TAKES TOO LONG – Fresh Air
    9 WHEN YOU DANCE I CAN REALLY LOVE – Shakane
    10 ANNABELLA – Billy Kinsley
    11 SALLY WORKS NIGHTS – Liverpool Echo
    12 STAY AT HOME – Rusty
    13 CHIMES OF FREEDOM – Starry Eyed And Laughing
    14 BACK ROOM – Ironbridge
    15 NO MATTER WHAT – Black Label
    16 GOOD LOVE CHILD – Barclay James Harvest
    17 LITTLE BABY WON’T YOU PLEASE COME HOME, HONEY-CHILD WON’T YOU JUST ALLOW ME ONE MORE CHANCE, PLEASE – P. C. Kent
    18 SO SAD (NO LOVE OF HIS OWN) – Iain Matthews
    19 JEWEL – Wolfe
    20 WALKING THE SILVER HAY -Airbus
    21 MAYBE TOMORROW – Angel Pavement
    22 BEACH BABY – The First Class
    23 FROM ME AND FROM YOU – Keith Riley
    24 I DON’T WANT TO HOLD YOUR HAND – Rupert Holmes

*previously unreleased

Last edited: May 3, 2022
  6. Telegram Sam

Telegram Sam Forum Lurker

Liverpool's Jimmy Campbell/Rockin' Horse are one of the most obscure shoulda-beens in the history of pop music. All 3 of Jimmy's solo albums, as well as Rockin' Horse and a 23rd Turnoff anthology have each been released on cd.

7. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Forum Resident Thread Starter

Two more new CD’s, one Ivey’s demos and the other Pete Ham demos, now available from original Ivey’s/Badfinger bassist Ron Griffiths.

http://www.badfingerlibrary.com/?fb...HFMv1Q9GOkqMQdVVvFnObMfdNm-Dv9pF6hesKD18GCx24

From Ron via Facebook:

“Hello everyone, This is an announcement of new releases coming from yours truly ( oh ! alright then Ron Griffiths ) of The Iveys and Badfinger recordings Come And Get It, Carry On Till Tomorrow, Maybe Tomorrow, Dear Angie and other original Badfinger tracks on the Magic Christian Music album.

Firstly, following on from previous exclusive Iveys-era Live recordings I've been releasing with the blessings of former Iveys' member estates, I've had Dan Matovina prep a CD set of home demos of the Iveys era from the start up to when Joey Molland joined the band officially in December of 1969 . That is when the name was changed from The Iveys to Badfinger .

Many of these demos are what impressed the Beatles enough to sign us to both recording and publishing contracts on Apple.... my eternal thanks to Mal Evans who pushed for us.

These sampling of demos include some of the earliest Iveys group home demos some involving Ray Davies and it covers Without You formative parts Pete and Tom later put together to form that song in November of 1969. Tom stated in a recorded Ravens Records interview - " Pete asked me if he could use my chorus of my song , which was a bit like Help "

The three-piece Iveys without me combined these ideas that became I Cant Live , title according to Bill's diary later became Without You . A three-piece band demo version was erased over it seems as only a count-off remains, but you can hear on this CD The Iveys songwriting attempts evolving . Pete ultimately had the insight to realize these two parts would mesh really well . There is a home band demo with Joey Molland that exists and there's the Mal Evans produced demo of the song already released. ALL before the band recorded it for No Dice album.

Also, I'm announcing a sampler CD of Pete Ham home demos authorized by his estate, which has some remastered from earlier demos that were once out on CDs on the label Rykodisc, plus some that were from a limited Pledge Music set that coincided with the Swansea city council's Blue Plaque ceremony which I played in the Pete Ham tribute concert headed by Bob Jackson back in April of 2013 .

Pete's CD there's a demo of now famous Baby Blue which according to Bill's diary was made at Clearwell Castle. Bill's diary writes Pete and Tom working on a song one day called Baby Blue . Pete plays drums on this demo, it seems. About Baby Blue, Pete in an interview for radio stated that the song was one he felt was a whole and complete accomplishment of his. It seems that he played all the parts that he had derived, even playing the drums on this demo here, except for the bass you would take Tom played since there's an occasional vocal from Tom. And the diaries show shortly after this there's a demo recorded of the band doing it which I have heard having some other ideas not used later. A bit of that demo may be demonstrated online as it is now an important song with a very interesting history.

I witnessed Pete starting to play drums back in 1968 and by this recording of baby Blue in 1972 it seems he had become rather adept. Pete can be seen in some of those Ham Estate home movies playing drums at the Clearwell Castle grounds , which brings a smile to my face.

Bill Collins and his wife Anne gratefully gave me access of his diaries and also to Dan to use for research for his book. Bill was very kind to me in later years and praise-worthy of my contribution.

These CDs are limited sets, but if they sell-out, the funds, after publishing, should be enough to get all the demos that are worthwhile into a CD box sets of Iveys and Pete solo demos that have nice artwork and liner notes. So, please snap these up , though be aware each person is limited to three copies only.

Dan Matovina produced some of Pete's home demos further that had bad vocal to instrument balances being sound on sound limitations or they begged for some rhythm section to maximize their enjoyment. I was ok with that.

Dan spent countless hours cleaning up technical issues on old tapes with help at times from Kevin McElligott. Dan had some great musicians augment some of Pete's solo material and it is very tastefully done, I must say, all in accordance with the feel of the era. I added bass on one track and Bob Jackson was another musician helping to make it all more enjoyable without stepping on any of Pete's original solo parts or vocal performances.

The CDs are limited edition sets. It's been worked out that if they sell-out there should be enough funds to make for the public a truly satisfying CD box set of demos with some good artwork and liner notes . So, please snap these items up. Each individual order customer is limited to three copies only.

If you love this music of The Iveys and Badfinger, I don't think you will be disappointed. Note that the Pete Ham Demos Variety Pack CD is dated in 2021 as it was completed and set-up then, but it was pushed back to coincide with these other projects .

Lastly, I'm announcing a PDF you can now buy of the complete biography of Iveys and Badfinger which Dan Matovina had put together in past. The important people involved in the story confirmed they were all accurately quoted . The only critics you may see never seem to provide an ounce of proof of any supposed inaccuracy or any supposed agenda of Dan of a specific part from it. So it is their agendas that become clear to reasonable folk. If you have proof of errors , report them to Dan for an updated book version. A Kindle of this is on Amazon or there is a PDF version with the original pictures. It can be requested at [email protected]

Everything is done out of the U.S. as I do NOT want to, nor do I ever want the burden to do that business stuff myself.

To order anything and find out lyrics and all the people who helped or played , go to Tom Brennan's excellent”

http://www.BadfingerLibrary.com

Shipping of items will start around May 31st, the birthdate of the lovely daughter of Pete Ham, Petera Ham.

LSP2003, pudgym, jricc and 7 others like this.
  8. Peter_R

Peter_R Maple Syrple Gort Staff

longdist01, oboogie and Mark Wilson like this.
  9. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

So the Pete Ham demo cd has new overdubs? That’s interesting. I wonder what the details are surrounding those overdubs.

longdist01 and oboogie like this.
  10. Mark Wilson

I’m a little confused myself. The Pete Ham CD is largely a compilation of recordings released on 3 CDs several years ago, and those have overdubs as well. So I’m not sure if Ron is referring to those or if some truly new additional overdubs have been added. But at least some of what he mentions has already been there all along so maybe he’s just clarifying that point for anyone unfamiliar with the earlier history.

This website is actually a history site they’re using for orders, and if you scroll down there are links to info on each original CD that describe each track as released at the time. And most of those overdubs are listed there.

Mark

11. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Ordered both, and thank you again @Mark Wilson for posting about these two CD releases.

Each are in a card slip sleeve like those early Iveys Live Anthology releases...

[​IMG]

From reading about Pete Ham Demos Variety Pack there are "2022 Remasters" of tracks from 7 Park Avenue, Golders Green & Keyhole Street releases with some new "exclusive" demos offered now.

[​IMG]

12. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Anyone trying obtain the book written by Dan Matovina 'Without You - The Tragic Story of Badfinger' an e-book PDF edition apparently...
    Thank you @SJB

Last edited: May 25, 2022
    Peter_R likes this.
  13. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Last edited: Jun 14, 2022
    oboogie, BeSteVenn and Mark Wilson like this.
  14. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Happy 75th birthday Joey Molland!

"Love Time"
    [ Alternate Mix ]

oboogie likes this.
  15. LSP2003

LSP2003 Senior Member

Thanks for posting about the CDs! I had no idea.. I ordered both. I am surprised that an email was not sent out about these as I did buy the other two Iveys CDs..

16. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Some really cool early tracks on these releases!

LSP2003 likes this.
  17. LSP2003

LSP2003 Senior Member

I was not sure about the Pete Ham one as I have the Rykos and the double but seems worthy enough. There is only so much Pete Ham stuff..

Mark Wilson, jricc and longdist01 like this.
  18. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Sure hope Tom Evans is given his due with a demos collection soon...

sgtpppr84, LSP2003, Peter_R and 3 others like this.
  19. Mark Wilson

That is kinda surprising now that I think about it.

Mark

LSP2003 and longdist01 like this.
  20. LSP2003

LSP2003 Senior Member

I did get emails when the second Iveys came out - is kinda strange to not get one for this. Glad I happened to look on the "expanded" thread. :)

longdist01 likes this.
  21. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

I found out about the new sets here on the Forum as well. The Badfinger/Iveys operation has passion and heart, but I'm not so sure they have a webmaster or a marketing team. Call it a "soft launch."

longdist01 and LSP2003 like this.
  22. Kent Gray

Kent Gray Resident

23. Mark Wilson

24. Kent Gray

Kent Gray Resident

Harpsichord on "Dear Father." I played piano on another one but it wasn't used. :cry:

25. jricc

jricc Senior Member

oboogie, Kent Gray and longdist01 like this.