Band member that contributed the least , but gladly rode the wave of success?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jocko, Jan 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. garyt

garyt Forum Resident

Nick Mason came to mind immediately, which is due to his seemingly limited contribution to Pink Floyd's career. However, as the only member to have played on every record, he must be doing / have done something right. I think people tend to only look at musical ability/input when discussing this type of thing, and don't look into band dynamics i.e. how the members interact. A band is usually more then the sum of it's component members' abilities and/or contributions, especially if they started out together. Removing what looks to the outsider like a 'lesser' member can often fatally unbalance a group. A good example is Bill Berry in REM; IMO they were never the same after Bill left.

2. INSW

INSW Senior Member

Yeah, after Watchtower and all the ones Jimi wrote.

3. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

You are absolutely right about this. The same with Shaun's other band, Black Grape. I saw them in Bristol just the other week. Kermit is a great partner to Shaun on stage. Brought loads of energy to proceedings. Their last album Pop Voodoo is fab and you can score the vinyl for a really silly low price. I got a new signed copy for £12.

D.B. and Jarleboy like this.
  4. Jocko

Jocko Forum Resident Thread Starter

Fullbug and Crimson Witch like this.
  5. SirNoseDVoid

SirNoseDVoid Forum Resident

I don't even know his name, but how about eg. the bass player in AC/DC. Utterly pedestrian and unremarkable playing that serves the purpose, but they could have literally picked anyone from the nearest guitar store.

Wil1972, Jimmy B. and The MEZ like this.
  6. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Which one?

Jimmy B. and seed_drill like this.
  7. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

I know Nick had a lot to do with the soundscapes i.e. many of the sound effects and samples that Pink Floyd used. And by all accounts he was the stabilizer in the group.

8. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Voice is an instrument.

Wil1972, 51IS, lordcat and 38 others like this.
  9. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Bassist Robert Reynolds of The Mavericks, at least when they resumed touring in 2012. Although it wasn't explained until much later, they apparently had him switch from bass to strumming an unplugged acoustic guitar, due to personal issues which ultimately led to his removal from the band.
    [​IMG]

10. Jocko

Perhaps no Who?... but most Who songs Pete does versions of. I find his take is often more sincere coming from the writers perspective. Pete has giant solo career. His solo work is big enough alone to justify his other side.

Crimson Witch likes this.
  11. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

Terry Sullivan of Renaissance

Aside from a co credit and a writing credit on their final album as a classic band he never seemed essential to their sound, and even though Annie has absolutely zero writing credits (though she disputes this too) it's obvious her voice carried that success. The other members either were a central songwriter (Michael) or essential to the sound and a songwriter (Camp/Tout)

With all of this said, there isn't anything bad about being a musician because you gel with a group either, it's just the most glaring off the top.

Jocko likes this.
  12. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

Great idea for a thread but without Daltrey The Who wouldn't have lasted. Certainly since Moon died he held it all together. He started the band and invited Pete in.

My example here would be Andrew Ridgley in Wham. Bet he was a great guy to have a beer with but apart from smiling and looning about he didn't contribute much but he was George's mate!

13. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Interesting thread, that almost sunk under the fallacy cited in the OP.

14. Jocko

Daltry does create a formula so to speak. Without him, who knows? Goes to The Ringo Starr element. Would the Beatles have been as big without that exact formula? Perhaps not?

15. Jocko

The subtleties of Bass playing can be overlooked sometimes.

16. CandyAppleHead

CandyAppleHead Well-Known Member

You only have to watch the Who's thrilling performance at Woodstock to understand just how wide of the mark the OP's post is regarding Daltrey.

17. Jocko

I did pick an extreme case. It was to stimulate response as well as my thoughts. No solo career for Roger. Pete could do Who songs all day long.

ramdom and Totti is god like this.
  18. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Bonehead and Guigs of Oasis.

19. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

True that. My bias is that I never liked Pete's voice much, though his softer, sweeter vocal style is often fine (numerous examples on 'Tommy' and 'Quadrophenia' ;
    e.g. " 1921 ", " I'm One ").

Jocko likes this.
  20. Jocko

Voice a true instrument. Pete can perform Who songs just fine. Roger is lost unless you hand him the words.

21. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

I never expected a bash Roger thread. Honestly, 100 bands would have killed to have Daltry as their lead vocalist. Townshend has said many times over that Roger is the voice of The Who. Thats' all I need to hear.

22. Wes_in_va

Wes_in_va Trying to live up to my dog’s expectations

Sorry but singing and performing aren’t the same necessarily. I love Pete and there certainly would be no Who without him but the same can be said for Daltrey. That persona as frontman is absolutely crucial to The Who.

23. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

Clapton in Cream - all he did was play solo’s.

Only joking ha ha ha

Paul W, lordcat, A6mzero and 9 others like this.
  24. Castle in the air

Castle in the air Forum Resident

James Young in Styx.

25. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

Melvyn Pritchard from BJH. Absolutely undistinguished drumming style, no contributions to songwriting. No even back vocals.
    And yet he was with the band on every record. For 30 years!

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
    Jocko likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.