Band member that contributed the least , but gladly rode the wave of success?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jocko, Jan 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

plus he was already a guest with Nirvana for the same reasons , which are cool with me

overdrivethree and Zoot Marimba like this.
  2. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

The other 4 in the Jackson 5 not named Michael.

Sean, The Ole' Rocker, zebop and 7 others like this.
  3. You missed this one.

And many more.

4. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

5. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

new year, same troll threads

Sean, Cyberhog9, Gavinyl and 3 others like this.
  6. socorro

socorro Forum Resident

And probably the most important one to a band's identity.

I agree with the numerous posters who say Roger Daltrey was a bad example. His vocals were distinctive and he had a great stage presence. Remove him and the Who are a completely different band, and probably much less successful artistically and commerically.

7. bettsaj

bettsaj “I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing.”

Ahhh, the invisible man..... don't remember it ;) Got to number 12 in the charts then fell out almost as quickly as it entered.

Jarleboy likes this.
  8. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

He had some memorable solos that I really liked, but I think that after Master of Puppets, he had said all that he had to say as a lead guitarist.

Man at C&A and Kim Olesen like this.
  9. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

Roger Daltrey is one of rock's greatest and most iconic frontmen. A singer doesn't have to write if they can belt out a tune and own a stage. Not to mention that he was a very good looking man in his prime.

In answer to the OP; some drummers, some rhythm guitarists and some bass players. Some, not all...
    If you want a name I'll give you Alec Jon Such, the Bon Jovi bassist in their heyday (83-94).:D

10. friendofafriend

friendofafriend Forum Resident

Unless you are actually in the band, I believe it would be impossible to fairly judge the importance of an individual member's contributions. Just because a particular band member doesn't have songwriting credits or you don't think their playing is particularly important to the band doesn't mean that he or she is not a vital part of the overall band aesthetic.

11. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

Absolutely correct, Daltrey is a wonderful respite after the cat wailing screeching of Joan Baez. Those three grungy chords with screen split into three panels then Entwhistle's bass line open the door for Daltrey, "see me, feel me, touch me..." One of the most wonderful filmed moments in the history of rock music, the hairs on the back of my neck stand up every time I watch that part in the Woodstock film, a most glorious moment..

CandyAppleHead likes this.
  12. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Yeah, Jeffrey Hammond added stage antics and had the benefit (heh) of being Ian's mate, but he was definitely the weakest musician in the band and the weakest bass player Tull had. Though his relative sobriety may have made him more reliable on stage than Cornick.

13. Some good examples, some I disagree with including Roger Daltry but one thing I know for sure, every band member that contributed the least gladly rode the wave of success. None of them wanted the band to amount to next to nothing, exactly what they contributed.

14. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

Somebody had to say it. They guy has his haters and his defenders, but I think that there is a little too much zealotry in both camps. I'm sure that the truth about his impact in the band lies somewhere in the middle.

15. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

Nick Mason

BDC and xfilian like this.
  16. bettsaj

bettsaj “I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing.”

Bill Wyman is a good choice, to be honest since Daryl Jones took over after Wyman left did anybody actually notice he'd gone??

Sean, ianuaditis and Say It Right like this.
  17. flaxton

flaxton Forum Resident

Is this a joke. Is it April fools day come early.

18. Django

Django Forum Resident

Not really bands... more pop groups. British & Irish boybands of the 90's always had blokes in them that did F_____ all.

The two painter & decorator guys from East 17.
    And the very definition of "Chancers" Keith Duffy & Shane Lynch from boyzone.

19. Every band theoretically has a member that contributes less than the others although there will be disagreement about which one that is. Personally if I was that person in a highly successful band, I would leave voluntarily so the band could find a better replacement or at least insist that I be paid less than the others. :angel:

Otherwise I would feel crushed when reading disparaging comments about me on the SH forum.

:laughup: :nyah::biglaugh::winkgrin:

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
  20. CandyAppleHead

CandyAppleHead Well-Known Member

Jeff Cease out of the Black Crowes. Only featured on their first album, the producer ended up playing the guitar solo on Hard To Handle, and then they fired him for not being good enough.

Ricardo Perfecto likes this.
  21. coniferouspine

coniferouspine Forum Resident

I think the winner of this has got to be the "have a good time, all the time" guy from Spinal Tap, does it not?

22. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

Tom Fogerty, until he got kicked out.

23. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

I did. And Bob Dylan noticed too.

24. RudolphS

RudolphS Forum Resident

Yes, Paul Simon wrote all the songs but Garfunkel had the better voice. Without Art those superb S&G close harmonies wouldn't exist.

25. oldsurferdude

oldsurferdude Forum Resident

Without a doubt, Mike Love, the most hated, embarrassing, litigious clown the world of music has ever witnessed. No wonder Brian took drugs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.