DCC Archive Band On The Run UK Audiophile lp

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by John Carsell, Nov 5, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident Thread Starter

This goes back to about 1983 or 84. Does anyone remember the Band On The Run LP on an obscure British audiophile label called Nimbus Super Cuts? I seen one at a local dealer still sealed for $150.00. Seems like a lot to spend for something that may or may not be a sonic dud. Any opinions?

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

BOTR has seen a lot of audiophile incarnations, including the 100th Anniversary EMI pressing and the 2-LP BOTR released recently.

The pressing that really ended up high-end for me was the Japanese EAS pressing (I don't have it with me at work) it looks like the original JAPANESE pressing. "Let Me Roll It" gets ya!

3. Matt

Matt New Member

I remember way back in the old forum, Steve mentioned that the master for Band on the Run wasn't exactly a great sounding tape. Does anyone else recall this? I forgot the specifics.

4. Dr. Winston

Dr. Winston New Member

BOTR as everyone knows was recorded in Lagos, Nigeria. He was given a list of places EMI had studios. He chose Nigeria. Probably one of the crudest places Paul could have chosen. They didn't even have any decent mics when he arrived. The original mixes of the album were "ignorantly" stolen by a bunch of thugs looking for valuables on a trip back to their compound one night after a trip into town---Paul was held at knife point during the robbery I remember reading. In the song 1985 "if we ever get outta here" line was taken from this portion of their stay. So needless to say this wasn't Abbey Road conditions or equipment. I guess we're lucky it sounds as good as it does considering.

5. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Yes but Legos soon had good equipment, mics and Geoff! Woo-hoo!

When listening to some of the tracks, I think some of the overdubs had some really "mixed" quality. I found a tracking of "Ninteen Hundred and Eighty Five" that just had bass, vocals and orchestration. Really neat to hear Paul mumble non-existant lyrics in the song. If I find the track, I'll post it. ;)

6. christopher

christopher Forum Neurotic

portions of BOTR were recorded @ ginger baker's studio in lagos.

later, chris

7. Unknown

Unknown Guest

I do, but I don't think he said much more than what you have above, and that the DCC sounded just like the master tape.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.