Bandcamp sale / fundraiser

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by starfieldroad, Mar 19, 2020.

1. bresna

bresna Senior Member

Yesterday, I went to buy a few CDs that I had been looking at for a while. Then I noticed that each $9.99 CD I went to put in my cart had a $9.99 shipping charge. Each. Um, no.

2. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo WhoNeedsRealityWhenThere'sMoreSleepToLookForwardTo

WTF? Sounds like a programming error. You can buy downloads with no shipping.............

3. bresna

bresna Senior Member

I haven't bought into the download thing yet. Yes, I've a few "download only" releases, but I still prefer physical backup. I have had many a hard drive fail. Luckily, I've always been on top of backup drives, so no loss of music, but if I wasn't so particular, there is a lot of music I'd have had to re-rip.

4. moomoomoomoo

I'm big into dl's & very big into redundant backups (though Bandcamp will let you re-download all purchases for free).

HI-res music I have 4 copies, cd's 2-3, & movies 2.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
  5. bresna

bresna Senior Member

Tell that to the people who paid iTunes for the first 2 tunes from the Monk release, "Palo Alto". When the label was forced to recall it due to legal reasons, these people suddenly found that these two tracks were no longer in their iTunes library. Or the people who paid for downloads from CD Baby. Now defunct... no place to download that stuff again.

They can delete a file but they can't delete a CD. :)

6. moomoomoomoo

Like I said, I ALWAYS do redundant backups to external hard drives & flash drives. And I don't connect my Oppo to the internet so the record & movie co's can't F with tit.

7. CWillman

CWillman Senior Member

What did happen with the "Palo Alto" release? Did it actually come out before it was recalled?

8. bresna

bresna Senior Member

They sold two tracks on iTunes prior to the CD & LP release. Rumor is that Sony claimed that they own the copyright on a 1969 recording, as Monk was under contract with Columbia that year so iTunes deleted these tracks from the libraries of anyone who bought them.

It was accidentally put on the store shelves at a few HMV stores in the UK on July 31. Most other retailers sent their stock back. Only a few copies made it to the street. It's out there but it will be very hard to find.

Until Blue Moon in Andorra (25 year copyright expiration) puts it out. :) :)

CWillman likes this.
  9. lenny nero

lenny nero down by the ruined bridge

On the first Friday of every month since March, we’ve waived our revenue share to help support the many artists who have seen their livelihoods disrupted by the pandemic. Over the course of these nine days, fans paid artists and labels $40 million dollars, helping cover rents, mortgages, groceries, medications, and much more. If you’re among the nearly 800,000 fans who participated, thank you.

Although vaccines are starting to roll out, it will likely be several months before live performance revenue starts to return. So we’re going to continue doing Bandcamp Fridays in 2021, on February 5th, March 5th, April 2nd, and May 7th. As always, isitbandcampfriday.com has the details.

If you’ve started to feel guilty about buying music on any day other than Bandcamp Friday, here’s something to keep in mind: on Bandcamp Fridays, an average of 93% of your money reaches the artist/label (after payment processor fees). When you make a purchase on any other day of the month (as 2.5 million of you have since March, buying an additional $145 million worth of music and merch) an average of 82% reaches the artist/label. Every day is a good day to directly support artists on Bandcamp!

10. moomoomoomoo

I didn't think the 82% was possible. We've really been lied to by the major labels.

11. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

The 82% goes to the artist and label. The statement doesn’t indicate how much of that cut the label shares with the artist.

12. moomoomoomoo

I missed that.............................

13. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

Back again

A friendly reminder that to support musicians during Covid-19, we’re once again waiving our revenue share on all sales next Friday, February 5, 2021, from midnight to midnight Pacific Time.

14. lenny nero

Reminder that this Fri is another one.

15. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

Back again on august 6th , so next Friday !

16. lenny nero

Tomorrow is another one, get those wishlists updated!

cyngus, Davidmk5, noname74 and 2 others like this.
  17. lenny nero

another one is upon us

bobloblaw, Davidmk5 and boboquisp like this.
  18. moomoomoomoo

19. lenny nero

bandcamp fridays will return in feb and continue thru may

Davidmk5, cyngus, Disco Robot and 3 others like this.
  20. cyngus

cyngus Forum Resident

Just a reminder Bandcamp Fridays returns this Friday, February 4th.

21. cyngus

cyngus Forum Resident

Davidmk5 likes this.
  22. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

When the Bandcamp Friday thing started bands seemed to be pulling out the stops to find something interesting to promote for it but now it’s feeling more just like another Friday. If there happens to be a release I want I’ll grab it but I haven’t bought something specifically because of the Bandcamp Friday gimmick in a while now.

cyngus likes this.
  23. cyngus

cyngus Forum Resident

I can understand that. I had a backlog of wants when it started, and eventually caught up. Bought a ton of stuff over the past year or 2. I will still take a look though.

24. mike s in nyc

mike s in nyc Forum Resident

25. lenny nero

Davidmk5, Fred Dender and cyngus like this.