Bands/Artists Rivalries

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MortSahlFan, Oct 24, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MortSahlFan

MortSahlFan Forum Resident Thread Starter

First one that comes to mind are The Beatles and The Rolling Stones, so let me get this out of the way! We've even had a quote by Paul saying how they were more of a blues bands that started doing cover, and The Rolling Stones replied back. It's interesting because it's been almost 60 years. If you have early quotes, even better!

Someone also posted the artists/bands Keith Richards hated.

I like peer critique. If you have a minute to list down quotes, or explanations, even sub-questions, it would be greatly appreciated.

Paul McCartney slams The Rolling Stones, calls them a ‘blues cover band’
    Paul McCartney calls The Rolling Stones a 'blues cover band'

McCartney, who is currently promoting a new book, made the comment in an interview with The New Yorker's David Remnick, published Monday.
    "I'm not sure I should say it, but they're a blues cover band, that's sort of what the Stones are," said McCartney, adding: "I think our net was cast a bit wider than theirs."

“They are rooted in the blues. When they are writing stuff, it has to do with the blues,” McCartney said at the time. “We had a little more influences … There’s a lot of differences and I love the Stones, but I’m with you. The Beatles were better.”

Mick Jagger responds:
    Paul McCartney calls the Rolling Stones a 'blues cover band'
    "There's obviously no competition. The Rolling Stones [are] a big concert band in other decades and other eras, when the Beatles never even did an arena tour, Madison Square Garden with a decent sound system," Jagger said last April. "[The Stones] started doing stadium gigs in the '70s and [are] still doing them now. That's the real big difference between these two bands. One band is unbelievably luckily still playing in stadiums, and then the other band doesn't exist."

2. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

I remember some interview where one of the Gallagher brothers was asked what he thought of the press comparing his band to Blur saying Oasis was The Beatles to Blur's Rolling Stones.
    Gallagher replied : "We are The Beatles and The Rolling Stones. Blur is The Monkees"

Moshe likes this.
  3. MortSahlFan

They aren't in the same league, but there have been comparisons (especially when they first came out), but that's just my opinion and if you think Oasis is better than The Beatles and The Rolling Stones, more power to you.

I read recently Paul and George criticizing Oasis. As well as Keith Richards recently.

McCartney told Q. “I thought the biggest mistake they made was when they said ‘We’re going to be bigger than The Beatles’. I thought ‘So many people have said that, and it’s the kiss of death.’ Be bigger than The Beatles, but don’t say it. The minute you say it, everything you do from then on is going to be looked at in the light of that statement.”

Surely, with the amount of musical homage the band paid, The Beatles were fans though? Nope. Sir Paul McCartney called them “unhip” and George Harrison had his own damning assessment when he said: “The music lacks depth and the singer Liam is a pain, the rest of the band don’t need him.” A damning indictment and one most Beatles fans would stick by.

[​IMG]

Just in case anyone missed it - From David Bowie to Led Zeppelin: 6 legendary artists that Keith Richards hates

After calling them “crap” and Mick Jagger adding: “You can’t dance to it, the new album’s impossible,” Richards summed up the band’s preposterous Mancunian make-up by stating: “These guys are just obnoxious. Grow up and then come back and see if you can hang.” The Britpop legends had been well and truly told.

4. MortSahlFan

Mozart and Salieri

"The brilliant mind of Mozart certainly won the young composer huge amounts of admiration and fans across European society in the day, but with that new found fame came plenty of resentment from some of the more 'traditional' artists of the time. Few had as much as the Italian composer Salieri who, across Mozart's entire rise, was responsible for several obstacles falling in the way and was even suspected in an attempted poisoning of the young Austrian."

The Most Infamous Band Rivalries Of All Time

Moshe likes this.
  5. Moshe

Moshe "Silent in four languages."

Blondie and Patti Smith

rockerreds likes this.
  6. Susannah

Susannah Forum Resident

Friendly rivalry between the Beatles and the Beach Boys. I loved their trying to better each other during Rubber Soul, Pet Sounds, Revolver, Smile, Sgt. Pepper days.

7. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

The Grateful Dead and Quicksilver Messenger Service stylized themselves as Indians and Cowboys respectively and conducted raids on each other's "camps".

Uncle_Meat likes this.
  8. mike sullivan

mike sullivan Blues Boy

Guns N Roses v Nirvana

9. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

Every neo prog band in 1981-1985

10. rockerreds

rockerreds Senior Member

Replacements & Husker Du

11. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

The Lemonheads - Dandy Warhols - Brian Jonestown Massacre....

Perhaps one band doesn't fit there, I can't remember now, but at least two of these bands wrote rather negative songs about each other....
    Sorry it's too long ago, and I can't recall the details.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.