Bands/Artists who were huge and now mostly forgotten

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BroJB, Jan 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

[​IMG]

2. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

Wetlands?

bonus and Frozensoda like this.
  3. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

It seems to me that Henry Mancini has gone missing. His soundtracks were huge for awhile and he was still respected through the 80s. But the last 20 years I hven't seen much outside of a few vinyl reissues of Pink Panther , Peter Gunn and Hatari.

Fullbug likes this.
  4. munjeet

munjeet Forum Resident

Yeah, it’s strange how much blues-rock has fallen off the radar since 1995 or so. I wouldn’t have predicted that change back then. It means that there’s a wealth of once-mainstream but now-somewhat-obscure stuff out there from the 60’s/70’s that’s prime for rediscovery by younger audiences someday.

Humble Pie - once huge, now a punchline/reference in “Almost Famous.” Shame, too, since they were pretty great, early on.

The Faces - probably only known as that band with Rod Stewart and Ronnie from The Stones. Stewart solo may also be not too well known to younger audiences - probably thanks to his going the “Great American Songbook” route.

5. munjeet

munjeet Forum Resident

Because of the hit “Fly Like An Eagle” cover?

vitorbastos123 and Shaddam IV like this.
  6. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

so far the best candidate is average white band....most of the other bands mentioned still have a rep and aren't really forgotten (styx still draws fans to shows - well, with reo but still)
    blood sweat and tears I think would qualify too

7. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

The Smithereens

Ocean56, The MEZ, Jimmy B. and 3 others like this.
  8. majoyenrac

majoyenrac Forum Resident

I’m well under 50 (less well under than I like but let’s say I’ve got a decade to go)Love the Airplane (thank you Forrest Gump) but have been a bit of the minority...

Though I will say in college a lot more people had Surrealistic Pillow in their collections than I’d ever hear them mention

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
    ianuaditis and munjeet like this.
  9. BroJB

BroJB Large Marge sent me. Thread Starter

Nightingales

Jonny W and JuanTCB like this.
  10. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Resident

I just recall having young co-workers and friends at the time who I was surprised were getting into Tom Petty and Steve Miller. This extended into their high school siblings and friends they would tell me. Could have been a local (to me) phenomenon!

munjeet likes this.
  11. munjeet

munjeet Forum Resident

Michael Bloomfield was a minor deity in the late 60’s, with a big hit record in the form of Super Session, but is likely pretty unknown to non-music-obsessives under age 45.

- The blues-rock thing again, plus Mike’s own career self-sabotage and sad early demise.

12. the pope ondine

were they that huge though?

13. jefferyuniverse

jefferyuniverse Well-Known Member

Styx, Steve Miller, and Boston are still ALL OVER classic rock radio in my area to the point of exhaustion. Boston is the only one out of them I don't mind.

I feel like there was a point where Dave Matthews band was everywhere and now I barely hear anything from them.

14. JeffHunt

JeffHunt Stray Cat Strutting

Stray Cats

LilacTeardrop, The MEZ, Vanja and 6 others like this.
  15. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

50 year old bands that have not been forgotten are the exception, not the rule. Nobody should be surprised that Jefferson Airplane is forgotten except for (barely) White Rabbit and Somebody To Love; those songs were old when I was young, and I'm old now! Same thing for second-tier corporate rock. For every Led Zep there are 100o forgotten hard rockers.

16. adad

adad Forum Resident

The Police
    They where huge. Maybe its me, but I hear little talk about them and personally have little interest.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
  17. I think Quiet Riot are more like one-hit wonders than a band who were truly HUGE for any duration. IMHO, Grand Funk rule this category.

18. JeffHunt

JeffHunt Stray Cat Strutting

Hootie and the Blowfish (although Darius Rucker has had a great country solo career thus far)

Billy Idol has fallen off of the radar a bit.

Hey Vinyl Man and Shaddam IV like this.
  19. the pope ondine

yeah, I don't think Jefferson airplane really applies either...theyre still well known, maybe Quicksilver Messenger....
    or how about shanana? hit show, sold tons of records

piepants, Northwind and ianuaditis like this.
  20. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Definitely Grand Funk are an example of this, shame, cause the pre American Band stuff is pretty damn good blue collar rock.

21. munjeet

munjeet Forum Resident

I’ve noticed this also. Interesting example. Not that I entirely mind...

Like a lot of 90’s “jam bands,” their success was a US-only phenomenon, no? That’s always been my understanding.

DTK likes this.
  22. grapenut

grapenut Forum Resident

Bob Seger....

MHS3, Smackswell, The MEZ and 8 others like this.
  23. the pope ondine

yep, and they were forgotten pretty fast too, by the 80's really

SG47, Jimmy B., Damiano54 and 2 others like this.
  24. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Resident

I tried to ask the question: What happened to Supertramp? - in a Supertramp thread but no one was having it. I maintain that this band (unlike some of the mentions here) was monstrously HUGE, and that today, among the general or younger populace, they are either unknown or considered a bit of a joke (...because they are Homer Simpson's favorite band)? Which is a shame, they were great.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
    bpmd1962, negative1, formu_la and 8 others like this.
  25. grapenut

grapenut Forum Resident

GordonLightfoot(here in Canada), Peter,Paul and Mary, Al Green,Marvin Gaye,Aretha Franklin, dave Brubeck .... there is a big list outside of classic rock.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.