Bands/Artists who were huge and now mostly forgotten

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BroJB, Jan 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Golden Richards

Golden Richards Forum Rodent

I agree. R.E.M. has always run away from self-promotion like the plague. To their detriment, in this case.

2. Hexwood

Hexwood Forum Resident

Busted's new album entered the UK chart at #2 last week.

3. Hexwood

Hexwood Forum Resident

M People

Jarleboy likes this.
  4. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy still trudgin'

I'll meet you half-way on that in that I agree that a percentage of their fan base were very vocal about being offended, were condemned by other country artists, and were effectively shunned by the Academy of Country Music, thus Natalie's comment "...we now consider ourselves part of the big rock 'n' roll family."

5. thrivingonariff

thrivingonariff Forum Resident

See also Freud and ambivalent feelings in love relationships.

6. Hoover Factory

Hoover Factory Old Dude Who Knows Things

I have “Strut” on my Spotify playlist...does that count? :)

7. Dr Faustus

Dr Faustus A younger man now getting old

My kids love R.E.M. They're 17 and 13.

Laibach likes this.
  8. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Now that you mention them, haven't thought about them in years.

9. The Misfats

10. Savage Man

Savage Man Well-Known Member

I'm sixteen years old so I could fit in the classic demographic of people forgetting older artists but I know a s***ton of bands so I'm going to list off any band I can think of forgotten or not and tell you how I've seen them be remembered in my circles or elsewhere (this isn't kids at my school I'm going off, more just any of my peers in general anywhere):

• The Beatles. A lot of people my age still talk about them and actively listen to them as if they were listeners in the 1960s. I've heard names of more obscure Beatles songs/albums/stuff in general be dropped in conversations, as far as the 1962 Decca Auditions and even the Quarrymen, even going as far as to discuss various anecdotes about them and their adventures. As far as I know, they're still pretty popular; they're too big to die out.
    • The Who are to be honest sorta forgotten. They were the band that got me into music so it's personally sad to see, but nobody really talks about the Who nowadays except those who grew up on them as they happened. They're doing a new album right now so it may reignite some interest. The Won't Get Fooled Again scream became sorta a meme thanks to CSI.
    • The Rolling Stones are selling out gigs constantly. I don't think they will ever stop until Keith Richards just drops dead, which is highly unlikely because that man is just immortal. Like holy s***.
    • The Kinks. A lot of people my age actually know about and listen to them. It is general consensus that 'Village Green Preservation Society' is their best work, which I myself agree on.
    • Led Zeppelin. A lot of people my age listen to them, but they have a reputation for being one of the bands whose YouTube comment sections are littered with "I'm 12 and I like real music" comments. While the bands listed above have this too, Zep seem to have it the worst. They also cop a lot of s*** from some kids who unfavorably describe them as 'dinosaur rock' or 'dad rock'.
    • Sex Pistols. Honestly, possibly forgotten for their music, but remembered by Sid and Nancy. Most people have written them off as a glorified boy band managed by some fetish gear weirdo anyway. Personally they got me into punk rock and Anarchy In The U.K. gives me chills even as an Aussie.
    • Cream. I certainly hear more of Cream than Clapton. A lot of my peers know Cream, whether it's for 'Sunshine', Clapton being in it or because of curiosity after seeing them on metal before metal lists.
    • Deep Purple. I remember a buddy of mine in class playing the Smoke On The Water riff as a joke when we were supposed to be doing 'Viva La Vida' by Coldplay.
    • Pink Floyd definitely, I've seen a lot of peers talk about them, even the Syd Barrett years.
    That's all I have.

11. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Maybe, maybe not...a lot of their die hard fans like myself will take "Arthur" over Village Green...good to see you know great music!

Jarleboy likes this.
  12. katieinthecoconut

katieinthecoconut Forum Resident

I'm not sure who you're surrounding yourself with, but I can't imagine the "peers" that are talking about obscure Beatles songs and have an opinion on the best Kinks album are representative of most 16-year-olds.

Dudley Morris likes this.
  13. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Natasha Bedingfield has recorded a new album with Linda Perry as the producer.

14. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

Oh I have about 10 Sheena songs on my Eighties iPod..... That doesn't count either.

Hoover Factory likes this.
  15. Osato

Osato Forum Resident

Thankfully we won't have to wait that long....

The Jonas Brothers are reportedly reuniting as JONAS - the reunion will entail new music, new live dates, and a documentary.

16. heepsterandrey

heepsterandrey Forum Resident

Some of the artists that played Live Aid are forgotten nowadays.

17. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

Black Magic Woman and uzn007 like this.
  18. Osato

Osato Forum Resident

19. Mr Day

Mr Day Hater of Fools

Nearly all of them, including The Beatles. Once that generation dies out they’ll be a curio.

20. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Just like Mozart and whats-his-name, the "duh-duh-duh-dum" guy.

21. Mr Day

Mr Day Hater of Fools

Yes just like them.

22. lc1995

lc1995 Forum Resident

Good post, dude!

I'm 24 and I agree with a lot of this. A lot of people I know love The Beatles and are familiar with a good chunk of their work.

Old bands that have a lot of young people interest:
    -The Beatles
    -Black Sabbath
    -Nirvana
    -RHCP
    -The Cure
    -Jimi Hendrix
    -The Doors

Older bands that don't seem to:
    -The Who
    -The Band
    -REM
    -CCR (though I think most people know at least a few of their songs)

faceinthecrowd and uzn007 like this.
  23. Black Magic Woman

Black Magic Woman Forum Resident

24. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

I mean it's only been out a week. Jury still very much out so far.

25. mercuryvenus

mercuryvenus Forum Resident

I'm 32 and I agree with this! A lot of baby boomer types seem to think young people don't know anything before the 90s, but it's so not true. I was having a conversation about the Beatles with my coworkers (all in their 20s and 30s) and pretty much all of them know the major Beatles songs and many know all the studio album tracks. The couple who don't were rightfully ridiculed. :)

Also, you just have to go to a McCartney or Springsteen show (among others) to see the broad demographic of people there. It's certainly not just people in their 60s and 70s.

Lastly: I have a 2 year old and she routinely asks me to play Twist and Shout for her. She also loves watching them play that song and She Loves You. She says "mommy I want to watch movie of Beatles!" So I'm doing my part to raise another generation of fans. :)

faceinthecrowd and lc1995 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.