Bands/Artists who were huge and now mostly forgotten

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BroJB, Jan 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

A thread tailor made to provoke arguments.

warewolf95 likes this.
  2. Osthagen

Osthagen Forum Resident

Cheap Trick, maybe?

LilacTeardrop likes this.
  3. pwhytey

pwhytey Forum Resident

This forum aside, barely anyone under the age of 50 can name a single song by The Who. Similarly, The Kinks, Janis Joplin and the Mamas and the Papas have all receded in popularity. The Eagles too, I reckon.

When I was growing up, artists like Joe Jackson, Billy Bragg and Joan Armatrading had reasonably large and very loyal followings - now, they're all slowly fading into obscurity.

4. cquiller1

cquiller1 Forum Resident

Right. Their new album is expected to open up with about 350,000 in its first week. They've had an amazing comeback, especially for a boy band.

5. cquiller1

cquiller1 Forum Resident

Well, I'll be 36 in two weeks, and The Who is one of my favorite bands. So you found one person under 50 who can name a ton of their songs. LoL.

Sean and pwhytey like this.
  6. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

The band with the 7th highest-grossing tour of 2018 and a #1 album has been forgotten? :wtf:

uzn007 likes this.
  7. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Bono Who? :biglaugh:

LilacTeardrop likes this.
  8. Osthagen

Osthagen Forum Resident

Never said that U2 were forgotten.

9. soarer29

soarer29 Forum Resident

Girl Talk, the mashup artist. He was huge in 2006-2011 (I was in high school and college at the time) - then peaked in popularity and sort of faded off the map after 2010’s All Day. He had an album planned for 2012, but it got delayed and scrapped. It made me angry the way a Beach Boys fan in 1967 must have felt. It appears he’s touring now and released some material, but nothing even coming close to All Day in terms of popularity.

10. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

That's the premise of the thread, and you indicated you thought they'd "fallen at least somewhat out of the picture".

Just seems odd to say a band with #1 albums and huge-selling tours has "fallen out of the picture". No, they're not the U2 of 1991 but they're still prominent in the public eye...

11. Davido

Davido ...assign someone to butter your muffin?

Where is Duffy? Pulled out Rockferry since I hadn't heard it in ages, and man, does it hold up...!

12. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

we just covered one of their songs.

uzn007 likes this.
  13. Frangelico

Frangelico Forum Resident

This is an interesting thread. There have been a couple of posts that nobody under 50 even recognizes some of these acts. It’s a ridiculous notion. Not nearly as popular as before ? Sure.

However, there are plenty of people in their 30’s and 40’s and even 20’s that are into classic rock and other older acts. Plenty of YouTube comments also suggest this.

I was at a free Cheap Trick concert at Freemont Street in Vegas last night. In front of me were several twentysomethings that looked like they were barely minted out of college, singing the lyrics, and having more fun than the geezers in the crowd.

Sean, Fullbug, Jmac1979 and 3 others like this.
  14. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

What is the question? "The band Eagles stole Hotel California from?" )))

15. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

With Janis, Me and Bobby McGee still gets airplay

16. BradOlson

Before the Amy Grant remaster campaign was promoted on iTunes, I saw that there was a youngster who wasn't aware of her legacy and although Baby Baby was a #1 hit, I know that there were people in my age group who had never heard of her whatsoever and didn't realize that it was Amy who sang with Peter Cetera on The Next Time I Fall and there are radio programmers who didn't realize that "Find A Way" was a Top 40 hit. Many 80s fans don't really remember Find a Way. CCM fans often don't really bother to research the legacy of he genre and even the 90s-2000s hit makers in CCM are mainly remembered by hard core fans. Amy remains the biggest selling artist in the history of the genre.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
  17. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

I'm sure whoring their music out to tv shows for theme songs hasn't hurt. Anyone whose ever watched CSI (and it was once the #1 show on tv) knows "Who Are You"

pwhytey likes this.
  18. BradOlson

Exactly right

19. TheMovieRad

TheMovieRad If you want to count me, count me out

20. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

well you're both right. While U2 still does well on the touring market and the last album went #1 (and fell very fast), their popularity amongst the GP is probably lower than it was during Pop. The whole itunes debacle didn't win new converts but actually hurt them immensely and U2 replaced Nickelback as the most hated band on the internet for a spell (I think Greta Van Fleet replaced them). I remember a friend rolling his eyes at me when I told him I had tickets to see them, they lost whatever "coolness" points they gained back in the 2000s with the itunes giveaway in 2014 and it has seemed to cause some irreversible damage to the brand.

stewedandkeefed likes this.
  21. TheMovieRad

TheMovieRad If you want to count me, count me out

Totally agree with you. Big Country’s first two albums are classics but there was no way they were gonna pull off an Achtung Baby... SA was a solid frontman for a while but he was stuck on a mic stand while Bono had free reign. Sadly in the USA, casual music fans will most likely label Big Country a OHW. I love both bands but if I’m being honest and not a contrarian I’ll have to go with U2

Oatsdad likes this.
  22. 2141

2141 Forum Resident

In fairness, Kansas at their peak were never as big as Journey at theirs. I chalk it up to Journey being hugely popular with girls/women. Kansas, not so much. That alone probably accounts for the difference in their respective popularity and longevity. :agree:

23. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident

Mashups are SO early 21st Century :)

24. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Never heard of it/him/them. Must have been huge only in certain places.

25. PeterH

PeterH Forum Resident

Henry Burr, 1000s of recordings in total, most number 1 hits in the 1910s, around 240 million records sold (all according to Henry Burr - Wikipedia ).

mr. steak and danasgoodstuff like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.