Bands/Artists who were huge and now mostly forgotten

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BroJB, Jan 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I think that's entirely possible for people between 30-45. The iconic bands that still play to huge arena crowds (and who can headline a major festival) from that era are more along the lines of Green Day, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Radiohead, etc. That said, if they enjoy popular music and pay attention at all to pop culture, they would know Hendrix and Black Sabbath. The references are simply too frequent.

My daughters are in their 20's but Ozzy, Sharon, Jack and Kelly are super famous among their age group, and so are familiar with Sabbath. Also, it's worth mentioning that before finally retiring in 2017, Black Sabbath toured fairly constantly beginning in 2012, and sold out major arenas in most countries in the world. Their final studio album, topped the charts in the UK and the US - in fact, it was their first no. 1 album in the United States! From my perspective, if you top the charts worldwide, and headline festivals that attract 130,000 people, you don't belong in the "forgotten" thread. They were the biggest name at the 2016 Download Festival.

[​IMG]

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  2. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I don't know if you noticed, but the rumored Pumpkins reunion and D'Arcy's supposed non-participation was all over the internet last week. Google "Pumpkins reunion 2018" and that should give you an idea of how broad the coverage was. I think that there is a huge pent-up demand for the original band, and if they were to get back together, any properly promoted tour would be a major event (probably with or without D'Arcy) - the general public, both original fans and younger indie-alt fans, would turn up in massive numbers, perhaps not stadiums, but large arenas that Billy can't even come close to playing without them. That seems unfair to Billy, given that his talents so overshadow the others, but that's the way of the world.

If you think back a couple of years ago, when Guns N Roses announced their reunion tour (3 of 5 members, all stadiums, premium pricing), there was a lot of scoffing on this Forum. Most thought that GnR was largely forgotten, and that it would be a stretch for them to play even large arenas. Well, two years later, the tour is the 4th largest in history, and is still going, with final European stadium dates scheduled for this summer.

ianuaditis likes this.
  3. bladerunner555

bladerunner555 Forum Resident

Rick Springfield
    Eurythmics

Joti Cover and Fullbug like this.
  4. tmwlng

tmwlng Forum Resident

Around these parts, sadly, The Moody Blues. See their records all the time. In the shop they come in thick and fast from people selling their collection, aged late 50's-early 70's. Rarely do we sell any, nobody ever asks about them, they hardly perform here live... Obviously it's a different story in e.g. the United States.

MadMelMon, Hot Ptah and Shaddam IV like this.
  5. egebamyasi

egebamyasi Forum Resident

Steppenwolf

MHS3, Tim 2, PhantomStranger and 2 others like this.
  6. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Locally, a bar owner got southern rock veterans Molly Hatchet and Blackfoot to play his local dive. IIRC, that was a double-bill at the Capital Centre (ninety minutes north) thirty years ago! From a big city basketball/hockey arena to a distant softball field.

Mechanical Man and Fullbug like this.
  7. Galactus2

Galactus2 Forum Resident

According to a radio DJ, Spinal Tap resides in the ‘where are they now’ category.

MHS3, Ryan Lux, uzn007 and 3 others like this.
  8. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

38 Special
    Leo Sayer

snowman872 and Fullbug like this.
  9. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

There was a time when I was hearing loads of Human League on the radio.

Tokyo Ghost and snowman872 like this.
  10. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Nightingales?

BroJB likes this.
  11. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

KC & The Sunshine Band

bob60 and Fullbug like this.
  12. Mogens

Mogens Forum Resident

I was 14 in 1988. Where I live, Wisconsin, I was considered a bit reactionary for not liking Zeppelin. They were extremely popular. And all the meatheads listened to Sabbath while lifting weights in the gym. If you walked into any music store, you were guaranteed to hear the Iron Man riff, Stairway, or Wish You Were Here. Were things that different where you grew up?

13. Comet01

Comet01 Forum Resident

It's rare when I can go two consecutive days without hearing a tv commercial featuring KC & The Sunshine Band.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
    johnebravo and snowman872 like this.
  14. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

I was 14 in 1970, so everything was different. My point is that for different groups of younger people, all or virtually all of the musical favorites on this board are forgotten. They had very different backgrounds from the members of this board. They are very much into music but have very different musical interests.

Andrew J and Comet01 like this.
  15. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

Foghat?

16. Mogens

Mogens Forum Resident

R.E.M. is one that surprises me. They’re not completely forgotten among 20 somethings, but the place they held in the culture has been.

17. Of course, even when their songs are remembered, a lot of these old bands ain't what they used to be. Like, does Molly Hatchet have any original members left?

18. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Interesting. I haven't watched a TV ad (other than on CNN and MSNBC - and I never hear them there) since cable boxes started coming with DVRs. Do you think most folks that hear them have any idea who the band is?

19. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Grateful Dead only toured outside the U.S. a few times. From a later generation, Phish similarly have only made a few overseas trips.

Lownote30 likes this.
  20. socorro

socorro Forum Resident

From what I can see, P-Funk has seen a revival the past 10 years. I can't give specifics, but it seems like I hear Flashlight, Give Up The Funk, and other cuts on TV shows, commercials, even on the radio. George Clinton has been actively touring the past few years and getting good and enthusiastic crowds (albeit at smaller venues and with only 1 or 2 members of the old lineup).

Exit Flagger likes this.
  21. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

I think the Dixie Chicks fit this category.

Tony Orlando and Dawn were HUGE in the 1970s (at least for a while), even had their own TV show.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
    bataclan2002 and ribonucleic like this.
  22. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

They sold out a 19.000 seat arena in my city in August, 2016.

seed_drill, Aurora and royzak2000 like this.
  23. johnod

johnod Forum Resident

Same here.
    Then I thought of Blood Sweat and Tears, as well.

24. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Tull is not forgotten
    Jethro Tull , Ian Anderson still tour and play to large audiences.
    As far as being a "factor" now, it's obvious they are a legacy act with a devoted fan base and continue to have back catalog sales.

Hot Ptah likes this.
  25. johnod

johnod Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.