Bands/artists with a huge following and historical impact, that you never explored

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rhinojack, May 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I could probably listen to more beach boys. The hits and pet sounds are all im really familiar with.

2. ManFromCouv

ManFromCouv Employee #3541

Yeah, I only explored PF lightly, once buying DSOTM, and then getting rid of it. I don't hate, resent or even dislike their music. It just straight up bores me.

3. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

4. basie-fan

basie-fan Forum Resident

Elvis
    Beach Boys
    Bob Dylan
    The Beatles
    Rolling Stones
    The Who
    Grateful Dead
    Radiohead
    Pearl Jam

Hmm... I guess my tastes are more offbeat than I thought! :sigh:

5. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

You’ve a long way to go. The guys played in more of their stuff than you realize

oldsurferdude likes this.
  6. Perhaps it was the expectations of having a fanatic brother-in-law. The first Springsteen show I went to, I did without expectations and enjoyed it. He's a showman.

7. Never could get into the Grateful Dead. I like some of their stuff but just never found them to be all that compelling.

8. drpep

drpep Whizzing and pasting and pooting through the day

Van Morrison
    Bruce Springsteen
    Thin Lizzy
    Bob Dylan
    The Band
    John Lennon
    Radiohead
    Coldplay

9. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

I'm not sure what you mean by explored (I've listened to what's considered their best one or two albums and felt bored and / or miserable doing so), but to list a few....

Bruce Springsteen
    The Who (
    The Grateful Dead
    Elvis Costello
    Leonard Cohen
    Paul Weller

10. Minstrel Boy

Minstrel Boy Forum Resident

The Beach Boys, Pink Floyd, the Grateful Dead, Tom Petty and David Bowie.

I probably will explore Bowie some day, but right now I feel perversely resistant to begin that process. Besides, I've essentially just discovered Tom Waits, and he's taking up a lot of my time and money. I just can't take on another legacy artist right now!

Petty, the Dead and Pink Floyd simply do nothing for me. The Beach Boys, worse than nothing.

11. Mickey2

Mickey2 Forum Resident

A little hard to do since his live shows were a talking point back as far as I can remember (decades before my brother-in-law). I remember whenever a criticism was raised about his music to Springsteen fan friends, the reply was inevitably "you have to see him live."

wayneklein likes this.
  12. Mickey2

Mickey2 Forum Resident

2004 sounds more likely.

13. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

MC5 is pretty easy though...three albums only. I would recommend High Time (1971) as their best album; if you don't like that one you don't like the band.

14. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

The Who...of course some of their early 45s are classics, but I have never actually heard a full album and am not tempted.

15. Tor33rpm

Tor33rpm Take Me There....

I just discovered Sleep 3 nights ago. Pre-ordered their new album on a whim. Skimmed a track on iTunes and said, "Why not?" The next morning, popped on down to my local RS and bought their debut.

mmthmj likes this.
  16. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Rolling Stones. Just never clicked for me. I believe I've only ever listened to one of their albums that my brother owned back in the day, I think it was Sticky Fingers. Like others have said, I don"t hate them I just never had much interest.

17. Depends on which version of Roxy too. Art rock band new romantic styled music etc.

18. I consider the Wrecking Crew a big plus for The Beach Boys and they were directed by a Beach Boy.

Shaddam IV and wayneklein like this.
  19. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

Radiohead.
    I just listened Ok computer and that was enough for me

20. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

Beyonce

21. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

Sting solo
    Frank Sinatra
    White stripes (and I have zero interest)

22. I probably needed more acid.

23. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident

Until a few weeks ago, it was the Grateful Dead for me. I was bored one night and took a look at Amazon Prime Video for something to watch and ended up watching Long Strange Trip for the next 4 or 5 nights. Now I haven't listened to much other than the Dead for close to 2 weeks now. When I thought of the Dead in the past, I associated them with only Truckin's and Casey Jones. I knew they had a huge following but just never gave them a chance.

Is it too late to become a Dead Head??? :D

Christopher B and ianuaditis like this.
  24. Yep! He makes me cringe most of the time. Roy Orbison is another. I don't mind the odd song when heard on the radio but I don't like either sufficiently to spend a cent of my hard earned money on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.