Bands/artists with a huge following and historical impact, that you never explored

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rhinojack, May 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Hmmm

Things I Don’t Like.
    Revision 10,000.

2. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Not to mention it seemed pretty obvious that the OP did not intend for people to list bands that they are actually familiar with and hate. It very much seemed like a “Man, I should really check out this artist, why haven’t I?” thread to me. But, as the norm, it immediately started off with an “I hate...” post.

Rubberpigg and BluesOvertookMe like this.
  3. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

The only Meadowlands show in 2004 was to support "Vote for Change". Eddie Vedder guested, and both Jackson Browne and Patti Scialfa opened.

If you saw a "standard" Bruce show without openers, you didn't see him in 2004 at the Meadowlands Arena...

4. Crimson jon

Crimson jon Forum Resident

Never explored styx, AC dc, Bruce springsteen. I will get around to it someday.

5. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

You're blocked lol
    just kidding.

Osato likes this.
  6. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

Rush
    REM
    Until 2015 Fleetwood Mac but now I dig them.

7. Jimmy Mac

Jimmy Mac Zooropa... better by design

Pink Floyd...out of the half dozen songs I’ve heard on classic rock station over the past twenty years, not once have I been inspired to actually take an album and listen to it. It’s sounds meh and bland to my ears.

Putrifiers II likes this.
  8. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

LOL, I knew the Grateful Dead were going to come up eventually when I saw this thread title. Glad to see there are a few conversions, though.
    You get on the bus when it comes by. (Or sometimes not.) :agree:

vegafleet and rockin_since_58 like this.
  9. Tor33rpm

Tor33rpm Take Me There....

About 5 years ago, I dove in with the Stones tied to my ankles. Never looked back. I always liked them, but there's much more to discover than what you hear on the radio. I remember seeing them on SNL in 77. 76? My mom said, "They look drunk." I said, "Stoned, too." She said, "How would you know?" "Uhhhhh....just a guess? I think that's what stoned people act like when they smoke pot." :cool:

10. darkstarcrashes

darkstarcrashes Well-Known Member

Prince. Just can't be arsed.

Black Magic Woman and drad dog like this.
  11. Putrifiers II

Putrifiers II Forum Resident

I try once a year to listen to Led Zep (not worked so far), and Pink Floyd (Syd era is kind of interesting, but I'm still not totally sold). Have given up trying to listen to Tull. I'm not just listing stuff I don't like - I want to explore stuff, but some of it doesn't take. Any suggestions for inroads to the first two?...

12. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

Jeff Beck - just made a start with Blow By Blow though, nice

ianuaditis and Synthfreek like this.
  13. Christopher B

Christopher B Forum Resident

Never too late ! Im in the same boat. It took me 46 years to finally get into the Dead. I remember when Garcia passed away, a co worker calling in sick because he was so despondent. I figured he was crazy to take it so hard. But after reading many books and listening to their various LPs and the Grateful Dead channel on SiriusXM, I realized the loss of Garcia was major.

ianuaditis likes this.
  14. CJBx7

CJBx7 Well-Known Member

I've never explored David Bowie. I've just never felt much desire to...although I would like to hear his albums with Brian Eno (Low, Heroes and Berlin).

15. mahanusafa02

mahanusafa02 Forum Resident

Led Zeppelin
    The Who
    Jethro Tull

Don't hate any of them! Just know a handful of songs of each, but never felt like diving in deeper. Usually when I end up committing myself to listening to a group, my completism kicks in, and that just hasn't happened with the above bands.

Putrifiers II likes this.
  16. Putrifiers II

Putrifiers II Forum Resident

The Eno albums are quite different from anything else in Bowie's catalogue - I know a few people who normally can't stand him, but like Low and Heroes - personally I can't listen to them anymore because of over-familiarity :) The Eno Albums with Cluster from the same period are brilliant as is his Before and After Science.

17. Black Magic Woman

Black Magic Woman Forum Resident

Nirvana, Queen

18. Kanttila

Kanttila Forum Resident

Pink Floyd, not my kind of band.

Also The Band, Grateful Dead, The Kinks, many 90's era bands like Pearl Jam, Alice In Chains, and so on.

19. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident

It seemed that Jerry Garcia had passed away recently to me and I was shocked that it was actually 1995. Time flies as we get older unfortunately.

Christopher B likes this.
  20. pig bodine

pig bodine God’s Consolation Prize

I suppose it depends on the term “explored.” If they have a huge following in the US that isn’t specific to a single demographic, I’ve heard enough by osmosis to know if I would’ve wanted to look more closely into them.

21. vegafleet

vegafleet Forum Resident

Bruce, U2, Queen, Journey, all punk and New Wave, Bowie, Prince, all solo Beatles except for George, REM, grunge. All happily sampled and ignored thereafter.

IMO, early acoustic Dylan is transcendental and beats anything and everything else.

22. Frosst

Frosst Vinyl-obsessive kiddo

Jefferson Airplane

Heart

Jeff Beck

Janis Joplin

Last edited: May 23, 2018
  23. zen

zen Senior Member

What is their historical impact?

24. Crimson jon

Crimson jon Forum Resident

Helped turn pop prog into a million album selling style. Tons of fans in their prime and they still tour small arenas as we speak.

25. Mr-Beagle

Mr-Beagle Ah, but the song carries on, so holy

Oh, the pain

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.