Bands Or Artists You Think Should Like More

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mwheelerk, Jun 2, 2014.

1. Machiventa

Machiventa Forum Resident

Nirvana (the grunge band). In theory I should like them more than I do, which isn't very much. I like all the other common grunge bands but have a really hard time with Nirvana.

Black Magic Woman likes this.
  2. Mogens

Mogens Forum Resident

If you don't know where that term's coming from, then I'd recommend not using it. You're right, I don't know where you stand, but that term has a history that you may not want to be associated with.

3. davebush

davebush New Test Leper

For me it's Kate Bush. I have a few albums and quite like "Aerial", but I don't really relate to the kind of adoration I see from others. I suspect it's because I just haven't invested enough time into her catalog. I went through the same thing with Bowie. For years, I just didn't really get it, then spent some time digging in and I got hooked big time.

4. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Almost impossible for anyone in the US to not be familiar with that term by now.

5. erikdavid5000

erikdavid5000 Forum Resident

To me, The Band were amazing musicians, great singers, great personalities, and with amazing interplay/arrangements. It’s just that once Richard Manuel stopped writing, Robbie wasn’t quite good enough a songwriter to shoulder the entire burden, so the quality of the material quickly tapered off after album #2 in spite of some gems here and there.

seed_drill likes this.
  6. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I could easily get by with culling my solo Lou Reed collection down to Transformer.

mark winstanley likes this.
  7. rancher

rancher Unmade Bed

Well, they are as successful as any modern rock band right now based on sales and touring, but I did not like the last AF album at all, and the SNL performance recently was horrible. I think historically they landed it fantastically on Funeral and The Suburbs, though. I'll stick to listening to those two right now as I don't like their current direction. The AF show in Columbus on the Reflektor tour was awesome I will say ... The Decemberists are special to me, though I still need to get the brand new release, so I can't comment on that. Colin Meloy's voice and affectations can be a little much at certain times, but they have many releases and songs that hit the mark for me. The two Decemberists concerts I have seen were both excellent, though very different from each other

JoeF. likes this.
  8. Mogens

Mogens Forum Resident

Eh, I'll happily stipulate that I can only judge their albums as I haven't seen either band play live. Opinions will vary I guess? Arcade Fire has some powerful moments for sure, but their thematic albums don't hold together for me. I'm less familiar with The Decembrists' discography—I tuned them out sometime around Picaresque. I do admire both bands for taking on big ideas.

9. rancher

rancher Unmade Bed

On the Decemberists, you might try "The Island" from The Crane Wife or the LP The Hazards of Love ... after that they kind of went back to some quirky folk rock stuff for a bit

10. geo50000

geo50000 Forum Resident

Big Star..
    On paper, I should love this band and I don't dislike them but I've had their first 2 albums for about 20 years now,
    (and listen to them once or twice a year) and they still go in one ear and out the other. If their music hasn't 'kicked in' for me yet,
    it probably never will.

11. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Also more than 2 years after his death, been listen to Prince lately.
    Recently started listening to this again...

[​IMG]

I have played it before, but for some reason this time something clicked.

Darryl

12. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

I guess it depends on what your definition of "grunge" is. If it's the correct definition, i.e. bands like the Melvins, early Mudhoney, Tad, L7, or even Soundgarden, you should love Nirvana.

If it's bands like Stone Temple Pilots, Alice In Chains, or Pearl Jam, yeah... Nirvana may not be the band for you.

13. Machiventa

Machiventa Forum Resident

I pretty much categorize all of them into grunge except for the Melvins. I like every band you mentioned, but I still don't care for Nirvana for some reason I can't put my finger on.

14. rancher

rancher Unmade Bed

Love Sonic Youth and some Pearl Jam, never liked Nirvana to be frank

15. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Prince was the artist that took me the longest to really get into.
    Always enjoyed the hits when they came on the radio, but never ventured further.
    Didn't want to get further into his music after he died, because that would have seemed forced & fake.
    I would always enjoy hearing his music being played on the radio (especially after his death).
    I think the turning point for me started recently, when I would look forward to hearing his songs on the radio.
    Then I started to watch some YT documentaries on Prince.
    Everything seemed to be falling into place.

Darryl

16. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

I have several Motown acts in my collection...

Jacksons
    Temptations
    Miracles
    Four Tops
    Supremes

Never could get into Marvin Gaye.
    Tried several times to move beyond the hit songs I know.
    Trying to hard perhaps?
    You never know when it will click.
    Since this thread started here's a list of the artists I added (with dates).

2016 (Added 7)
    Chuck Berry (January 3, 2016)
    The Beach Boys (April 1, 2016)
    Benny Goodman (May 9, 2016)
    Hall & Oates (May 31, 2016)
    Simon & Garfunkel (August 9, 2016)
    Little Richard (November 7, 2016)
    Supremes (November 14, 2016)

2017 (Added 12)
    Hollies (March 4, 2017)
    Spinners (March 14, 2017)
    KC & The Sunshine Band (April 16, 2017)
    The Kinks (April 30, 2017)
    The Drifters (May 9, 2017)
    The Eagles (May 12, 2017)
    Patsy Cline (May 14, 2017)
    Jim Croce (June 6, 2017)
    Three Dog Night (June 25, 2017)
    Elton John (July 25, 2017)
    Linda Ronstadt (July 27, 2017)
    George Michael (August 24, 2017)

2018 (Only added 1 so far)
    Prince (May 5, 2018)

Sometimes I will try to get into an artist & it doesn't work.

Chicago
    James Taylor
    Tony Orlando & Dawn
    Gerry & The Pacemakers

Darryl

danasgoodstuff likes this.
  17. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

i see a lot of folks saying "well if you don't like it, what on earth makes you think you should"
    i think they are misconceptualising the OP's thought pattern here.
    Example - i love rock and hard rock, so really by that definition i should like guns and roses, but i do not ... it's nothing to do with trying to fit in some clique or be accepted by a certain group of people. it's an anomaly of style preference.

18. stanlove

stanlove Forum Resident

Neil Young. He should be right up my alley but I don't like him at all. He has some songs that I think are good songs but for some reason I don't like listening to them. It could be his voice but I like other artists with awful voices.

19. stanlove

stanlove Forum Resident

Hendrix is a great artist but he does not sound good. His voice is irritating and he doesn't have good songs. Zeppelin i can't help you with.

Black Magic Woman likes this.
  20. Black Magic Woman

Black Magic Woman Forum Resident

Jimi Hendrix. Definitely for guitarists.

21. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

Aerosmith - find their songs annoying and more bubble gum rock
    Queen - kind of the same as above

stanlove likes this.
  22. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

and they're all just rock to me lol

23. Django

Django Forum Resident

The jury is still out for me on Tom Waits. I'm actually watching a documentary about him. I love the whole seedy, late night, film noir imagery.
    But I find the whole persona very contrived.

warewolf95 likes this.
  24. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Same here

25. AceFrehleyJr

AceFrehleyJr Doesn't Believe The Hype

For me its the Pixies and to a lesser extent Pavement...