Bands Or Artists You Think Should Like More

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mwheelerk, Jun 2, 2014.

1. VinylGuy89

VinylGuy89 Forum Resident

For me, Led Zeppelin. everyone recommends them to me, Im huge fan of blues rock, but for some reason their music doesnt resonate with me

carlwm likes this.
  2. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

Same here. But I don't feel like I should be into them. Much like Springsteen, their music doesn't transcend generations, so I see it as dad-rock.

carlwm, Steve M. and TarnishedEars like this.
  3. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

The Who is dad rock? Wow...

4. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

Aye. They're not a group that Millennials or Gen Z tend to be into. Their monthly listens on streaming services is low compared to other classic rock groups (The Beatles, Queen, Zeppelin, The Stones etc). Streaming services are overwhelmingly used by Millennials/ Gen Z) as well. They're a group that mostly appeals to baby boomers from North America.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
    Steve M. likes this.
  5. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

Man, I'm getting old...lol

6. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

7. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

I'm gonna give Tonny Orlando & Dawn another go.
    Recently watched this on YT...

Darryl

carlwm likes this.
  8. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Really liking the music. Been playing this CD lately.

[​IMG]

Picked this up on vinyl...

[​IMG]

Darryl

9. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

“Dad Rock”
    Another term that needs to be retired.

10. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

Noooo. And only someone who takes offence at it would say that. :D

Steve M. likes this.
  11. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

12. LilacTeardrop

LilacTeardrop "Roll It Over My Soul...and Leave Me Here"

Interesting Thread, OP! :righton:
    For me, it's The Psychedelic Furs.

Alternative/80s New Wave/Post-punk. Should enjoy a lot, but a tiny bit (for me) goes a long way.
    Purchased either Forever Now reissue w/bonus tracks or Mirror Moves (don't remember which) several years ago.
    Listened once. Left me unfazed. Gave to music-lover friend.

Ohhh...even more: Foo Fighters. Like rock, Like Taylor Hawkins. Even like Them Crooked Vultures (having Josh Homme helps!) -
    Can't take Dave Grohl's vocals.

Last edited: May 29, 2019
    warewolf95 likes this.
  13. sekaer

sekaer Forum Resident

This depresses me in a hundred different ways

warewolf95 and RogerB like this.
  14. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

The Basement Tapes is one of my desert island go-tos. The Sony box set and
    the (alternate stereo mix) Tree With Roots 'gray market' set have their merits.

Fastnbulbous and MRamble like this.
  15. Lightworker

Granddad rock! The Jam and The Clash are dad rock now.
    Heck, Green Day will probably be dad rock by the end of June at this rate....

Fastnbulbous and Cool hand luke like this.
  16. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

I don't think there are any that I feel I should like more than I do. I have felt social pressure to like bands that I haven't gotten particularly into, The Clash and Stone Roses to name but two. But heck, I like what I like and don't what I don't. Indeed, I don't feel at all swayed by trends, or other people's listening habits. That's not to say that I can't pick up on things that are worth picking up on though. I have an extremely broad musical taste and I don't specifically identify with any particular music culture.

17. Praveen

Praveen Forum Resident

Radiohead.
    Just cant get the massive acclaim. And yes , I like Creep which Radiohead doesnt enjoy performing. I liked the direction they were headed in with Karma Police. But at some point, they just got boring for me.

18. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

Patti Smith.

I don't doubt that she's sincere in her love of the punk/garage ethos, and I certainly have great respect for Lenny Kaye.

But there's a level of artsy pretension to what she does that just doesn't click with me.

19. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

I'm just now looking at this thread for the first time, so lots of catching up to do.

I completely agree with you. Of Simon's solo hits, I like "Slip Slidin' Away," and that's about it. "Julio" and "Kodachome"? I just don't see how anyone can hear any greatness there. I just hear a guy consciously saying "Look how cute I'm being!" And I'm sorry to say that the last time I heard Graceland, it just left me cold.

20. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

I know virtually none of their recorded work, save the song "India," which I somehow encountered at random years ago and liked.

But I saw them live within the past year or so. I went for the opener, Robyn Hitchcock, whom I love and who was great.

The Furs did next to nothing for me. Song after song of samey-sounding stuff, and the lead singer acted as if he was bestowing the gift of his art upon the audience. Just didn't work for me.

Last edited: May 30, 2019
    Lightworker and LilacTeardrop like this.
  21. Lightworker

I saw them at Raul's Club in Austin, TX circa 1980 right after the first LP came out in the U.S.
    They actually sounded very good, but "India" was so smooth and 'drone-y' that I actually fell into
    a relaxed sleep for a few minutes. Not that it's a bad song...just that it's a very good tranquilizer.

MikeM likes this.
  22. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

2019 is more than half over and I haven't had any new additions to my collection yet this year.
    The Stylistics may be the only group I add in 2019.
    It's a bit harder since I got back into vinyl to make new additions to my collection.
    Now adding to my collection entails purchasing on vinyl.
    Where as in the past it only meant picking up a few CDs.

Darryl

Dan Steele likes this.
  23. diveintoyesterday

diveintoyesterday Forum Resident

My Bloody Valentine - I've tried a few times, but they're just not clicking for me as of yet.

24. Boswell

Boswell Forum Resident

Yes, there's something slightly hackey about her. Even that book she wrote that everyone loves: it made me dislike her more.

25. Thaluza

Thaluza Forum Resident

Audio reviewers make it seem that certain artists are the bees knees. But I find a lot of the stuff they listen to is "out there" and nothing I would ever be interested in. Some of the music they use for reviewing is more mainstream. For example, Michael Fremer has gushed all over Love and the MC5 in his reviews. But try as I might, I can't listen to any Love or MC5 albums all the way through.

Dan Steele likes this.