Bands Or Artists You Think Should Like More

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mwheelerk, Jun 2, 2014.

1. Lostchord

Lostchord Dr. Livingstone, I presume

In my case it's definitely The Beach Boys. Theoretically it's impossible for me not to like them. I'm a melody person, I pay more attention to vocal harmonies than most people, I don't mind falsettos, all the stylistic variations are there, they influenced The Beatles. Still... Not that I hate the band, I'm just plain indifferent to them. Only shows how magical music can be.

2. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

I've spent too much money trying to love The Band. I think I have bought their entire catalog trying to find the one that makes them click for me. Oddly, I think "The Last Waltz" is the best rock film ever.

Weirwolfe likes this.
  3. noyoucmon

noyoucmon Forum Resident

I need to add the Beach Boys to my list, too.

4. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member

I have a CD of some of her 40s recordings and I have enjoyed listening to it very much, her voice is lovely on those songs.

The later period music I can only listen to sparingly, for the reason you state. :)

5. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

For me, it's definitely Led Zeppelin. So many artists that I adore trace some of their roots to Zep yet they've left me cold. Actually, in all honesty I've been considering taking the plunge to educate myself with this current reissue campaign but I'm still on the fence...

NudieSuitNezHead likes this.
  6. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

Joni
    ..perhaps some day

7. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

I am happy and proud to say I don't like VU. It is solid evidence that my hearing is intact. And evidence that there is no reason I ever "should" like something just because.

Mai Tem Baht and Tree of Life like this.
  8. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music... Thread Starter

That's it. I like similar style and feeling things and I just don't love these guys but feel like I really should. Funny as it may sound I almost feel guilty that I don't love The Band.

9. hello people

hello people Forum Resident

What a strange thread...ok...ummmm...The Who...

Jimmy Jam, ndoheny and Myke like this.
  10. mwheelerk

Excuse me. Why all the nastiness ? It's a reflection on bands and music. It's not some sort of personality flaw. Geez

11. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

It's not nastiness, it's a response to a question posed. Just because I don't agree with the concept of basing my taste on what others think I should, or shouldn't like, it's no less a valid response.
    " I don't like wax beans, but I think that I should ? "
    Makes no sense to me.

speedracer, Frosst and Sondek like this.
  12. mwheelerk

Please show me in the original post where it indicates anything other than what you as an individual, what I thought about a couple of bands? Where do I say that others have made me feel or think I "should" like a band or artist. You injected words of personal attack and criticism. It wasn't a simple comment of disagreeing with the premise of the thread I have no problem with that. How do spineless, pathetic and weak minded display a difference of opinion on the concept? Do you even understand the implications of the words you use? Disagree with me fine. I disagree with others all the time but I don't inject terms such as those you used which are totally unnecessary and insulting.

13. mwheelerk

Amazing. It was meant to be a silly thread. The over zealousness astounds. I am totally okay with any Gort crushing this thread.

MadMelMon likes this.
  14. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I based them on the people I've met in my life who had no opinion of their own. Whatever opinion was being stated the loudest, was the one they chose to follow. Such behavior turns my stomach.
    My post came from knowing such losers over the years.
    I wasn't thinking of you personally, I was thinking of them.
    Sorry you took it so personally.
    Still a strange question as others beside myself, have pointed out.

Sondek likes this.
  15. mwheelerk

A
    Strange question I accept. I have no issue with that. You took it in an entirely different direction and if you cannot see or understand that then there is nothing left for us to say.

samskeyti and four sticks like this.
  16. Moshe

Moshe "Silent in four languages."

Joni Mitchell
    The Beach Boys
    Led Zeppelin

All obviously very talented, I just don't get them.

17. veloso2

veloso2 Forum Resident

"it's a quotation from cars and girls a song by prefab sprout about Springsteen.

Regginold31 and Moshe like this.
  18. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

I like or love almost all of the bands mentioned so far. Oh well.

As far as answering the question and not just making this a threadcrap, I'll say that I'm not really that big on most modern jam-band music, even though I'm a huge Grateful Dead fan. Phish is okay. The funny thing is that I actually enjoy a few of their studio albums, but have never been that blown away by the live jams.
    I'd rather listen to Can, Television, or The Velvet Underground jam all night than bother with String Cheese Incident or moe.

19. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

It's not even a strange question - variations on the OP's question have been asked a bunch of times over the years here.

It makes sense: if I like Band A and Band B is in the same vein, I'd think I should like Band B. If I don't like Band B, they qualify for the thread.

IMO, it's not about someone telling me to like Band B - it's an issue of not liking something that seems like it should be in your wheelhouse...

20. Timjosephuk

Timjosephuk Forum Resident

Bob Dylan
    Jimi Hendrix
    Joni Mitchell

OK, I'll get my coat ...

21. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I wish that I could learn to love Neil Young more. I like a lot of his contributions to Buffalo Springfield, and some of his earlier material. I have a lot of respect for the guy--he always follows his own muse, and to hell with any expectations people might try to impose on him. I like reading about his career, but I don't often feel the urge to put on his albums. Musically, it doesn't quite take me there. I have kind of similar feelings about Bob Dylan, though I find him to be a more appealing songwriter overall.

Jackson likes this.
  22. Phil147

Phil147 Forum Resident

I'm taking the OP as meaning a band or artist that I already have music of but have never got fully into them as I have with some others. For me the big standout here would be the Rolling Stones. I have a best of collection and many years ago got a handful of their studio LPs but for some reason never got into them to the same level I did as the Who, Led Zeppelin etc.
    I keep meaning to start again with the studio albums but never seem to get around to it.
    And just to be clear its not a case of wanting to like someone I don't because everyone else likes them. I've never liked Elvis, I fully understand why people do (my wife does) and that he was incredibly talented and influential. I've just never got into him, tried but just not for me.
    Wheras the Stones I do like a bit and if I took the time and effort would probably like them even more. But instead I do something like buy the complete Led Zeppelin studio albums MFiT instead...

Hutch likes this.
  23. mwheelerk

That was the point.

Regginold31, MadMelMon and GodShifter like this.
  24. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I understood the premise perfectly. I'd say, for me, I should probably like The Who more than I do. I appreciate the songwriting and musicianship a lot (especially The Ox), but I rarely find myself reaching for a The Who album.

Slayer is same deal. Love some of their songs and they play music I should love but I don't find myself overly jazzed to hear them much.

25. Alex Chilton's solo career. I like some, others, not so much.