Bands that fell off

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ColeB24, Jul 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I was speaking of the original lineup while Dawson was alive...

carlwm likes this.
  2. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Well, I think with Flick and Fly they weeded out the hangers on that jumped aboard with Back In Black as them being "the cool band of the moment" and whoever was left was their core fanbase.

CoachD likes this.
  3. Martyn

Martyn Forum Resident

I actually like Tormato better, a more enjoyable listen IMHO. Going For The One side 1 does nothing for me, but it's not terrible. To me side 2 is excellent, really enjoy Wonderous Stories & Awaken.

warewolf95 likes this.
  4. zen

zen Senior Member

Martyn, I'm with ya!

Maybe its the part of the greatness of YES, even these, "drop off albums" are pretty darn solid.

warewolf95 likes this.
  5. warewolf95

I think quality wise GFTO is the far superior album, but, I much PREFER the songs on Tormato!!!

Going For The One...aside from the title track I really don't care for the rest of the album at all. I can enjoy it if I do put it on but I rarely want to.

6. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Simply Red....Stars (biggest selling UK album in 1991 *and* 1992), to Life....an insipid, lazy, chronically tune-free effort.

A decent lead single basically sold the whole project, but it tailed off abruptly.

EG.

Ignominious and Bobby Morrow like this.
  7. fenderesq

fenderesq In Brooklyn It's The Blues / Heavy Bass 7-7

I was looking for someone to post that... glad I didn't have to.

8. Rawkdude

Rawkdude Forum Resident

I used to think OU812 was the better than 5150 but when I listen to it now it doesn't hold up. Finish What You Started is still a great song despite the cliche lyrics.

blastfurniss likes this.
  9. Rawkdude

Rawkdude Forum Resident

Buckcherry debut to Timebomb

10. hanfrac

hanfrac Forum Resident

Clash - London Calling to Sandinista
    Oasis - Morning Glory to Be Here Now
    Teenage Fanclub - Bandwagonesque to 13
    Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti to Presence, Presence to In Thru the Out Door
    REM - Reckoning to Fables
    Stones - Exile to Goat's Head

11. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

That’s usually where the hate comes from, the feeling that they were repeating themselves. I’ll admit, there’s some truth to that, especially for King Crimson, but I also think it’s a strong effort, if not as fresh as Court.

12. Zoot Marimba

I do feel FOTW had more filler than previous albums, but it was good filler by and large.

13. Zoot Marimba

Nope, album still had Brian Jones (albeit in a minor role), and was at least halfway recorded by the time he died (and of course, he was no longer a member at the time of his death).

14. Mojo7575

Mojo7575 Forum Resident

Allman Brothers: Brothers and Sisters > Win, Lose or Draw....from one of their best to average
    Santana III > Caravanserai....Rolie/Schon split and Carlos out of gas
    E.C.: 461 Ocean Blvd.> One In Every Crowd....stunning fall off the high cliff
    Ten Years After: A Space In Time > Watt.....a near perfect album followed by a patch work (the live cut is barely bootleg quality)
    Flying Burrito Brothers: First > Burrito Deluxe....killer debut, spotty second
    Fleetwood Mac: Bare Trees > Penguin....in my mind the best Mac album followed by a dud (exposed Welch as the average contributor he was)
    Fleetwood Mac: Tusk > Mirage > Tango > Mask > Time....all downhill (could have easily included Rumors > Tusk)

15. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

The Edge...indeed

ColeB24 and notesofachord like this.
  16. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

I have to respectfully disagree... I really liked the first three albums, but I was blown away by Caravanserai... a dramatic shift in direction for sure, but for me it was an exciting direction and it still holds up today.

Tristero, Rawkdude and pool_of_tears like this.
  17. doity

doity Forum Resident

Rush - Moving Pictures to Signals. I remember when Signals came out all of the fans who came in about the 2112 time didn’t like it. Though some of my friends did. I was like, “what the hell....what is this chemistry/biology crap”. They lost me up until Presto.

Pete Puma likes this.
  18. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

I'm frequently surprised how good "Word Of Mouth" is! Absolutely love shout-Ra-y on this one!

Lonesurf, Rawkdude and warewolf95 like this.
  19. warewolf95

The title track Do It Again are spectacular songs.

Neonbeam and Rawkdude like this.
  20. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Is this a flat-Earther thread?

warewolf95, gregorya and Anthrax like this.
  21. King Crimsom -Lizard (mostly good) > Islands (mostly terrible)
    XTC -English Settlement (masterpiece) > Mummer (a nice placeholder)
    Big Country -The Seer (still prime BC) > Peace In Our Time (crap production, weaker songs)
    Paul McCartney & Wings -Venus and Mars (75% great) > Wings At The Speed of Sound (30% good)
    ELP -Brain Salad Surgery (excellent) > Works (a self indulgent mess)

timind likes this.
  22. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

We've reached the point of know return. :)

Terrapin Station likes this.
  23. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Best Crazy actually preceded Jumpin' Jive, with Night & Day following soon afterward.

24. classicrockguy

classicrockguy Forum Resident

Woops my mistake. Even bigger drop from I'm the Man to BC ! :D:D:):)

bRETT likes this.
  25. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Just played the whole album and it's one of the best 80's records from a 60's artist. On this one Ray finally manages to combine an unforced sounding "contemporary" sound with "classic" The Kinks elements. Not only him, Dave shines too. "Living On A Thin Line" obviously but also "Guilty" with his cutting, driving rhythm. That's actually a great metal/ hardrock riff.

One wouldn't notice this in 1984 but there's a lot of proto-Britpop, Paul Weller reminding stuff in here too. The problem is that all this is on an album that's deeply buried in the lower regions of The Kinks history. If this got a deluxe treatment today, anything to give it more exposure, some people might be very surprised! :righton:

Earl Grey Junior, warewolf95 and 2141 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.