Bands that fell off

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ColeB24, Jul 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crimson jon

Crimson jon Forum Resident

Cheesy star wars reference my bad lol.

2. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Star Wars, that's something else I've never been able to appreciate.

3. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

Panorama's really not bad, just uncommercial. Ric went and got the weird new wave album out of his system before going back to normal with Shake It Up.. I enjoy it but understand why it didn't set the world on fire. To me they didn't have a bad album until Door To Door

4. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

The Replacements - Let It Be to Tim (I know a lot of people will disagree. I never liked the second half of their discography as much as the first half. I always felt they started to sound generic starting with Tim),
    The Clash - London Calling to Sandanista (The obvious one was already said. If Sandanista was a double or a single album, I'd like it better but still not as much).
    David Bowie - Diamond Dogs to Young Americans
    Echo & The Bunnymen - Ocean Rain to Echo & The Bunnymen
    Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick to A Passion Play
    Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti to Presence (ITTOD's songs stuck in my mind more than the ones on Presence though I appreciate it more now).
    Meat Puppets - Up On The Sun to Mirage (I loved Mirage when it came out but don't care for it much now. Out My Way was an EP in between and that's where the generic Meat Puppets started but I still like it).
    Nova Mob - Last Days Of Pompeii to Nova Mob (Grant Hart's second NM album just wasn't very good. Even he has said so).
    Peter Frampton - Frampton to I'm In You
    Sonic Youth - A Thousand leaves to NYC Ghosts & Flowers (I've already listed them but ATL was a decent album but NYCG&F was my least favorite of all of them).

theclogs2002 and JTS like this.
  5. Odysseus

Odysseus Forum Resident

Excellent example.

I'd add Third Eye Blind going from its masterpiece, 1997 self titled album to 1999s Blue.

Aside from the brilliant songs "Wounded" and "Darkness" the rest of the album is a hot freakin' mess and was HUGE disappointment to all 3EB fans when it came out.

Gagnedouze and Crimson jon like this.
  6. Odysseus

Odysseus Forum Resident

This.

Unfortunately I long bought the narrative that The Final Cut was really just a Roger Waters solo album disguised as Pink Floyd album until just a few years ago when I finally picked up a copy and was impressed with how wrong that narrative was.

While clearly not as great as the group's best work, TFC is far better than its popular reputation would indicate and sounds like a Pink Floyd album and not like a Roger Waters solo album.

7. zen

zen Senior Member

That wouldn't be a good choice. All four studio albums with Sammy topped the charts.

8. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Judas Priest - from Defenders Of The Faith to Turbo (also, could say from Painkiller to the Ripper Owens era, but the first Ripper Owens album was actually good.)

9. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Styx - from Edge of The Century to Brave New World

10. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

B-sides:

1. "Lullaby to an Anxious Child"
    2. "Giacomo's Blues"
    3. "Beneath a Desert Moon"
    4. "Moonlight"
    5. "This Was Never Meant to Be"
    6. "The Pirate's Bride"
    7. "The Bed's Too Big without You"

11. Crimson jon

Crimson jon Forum Resident

Great answer I had forgotten all about that third eye blind follow up. The 1st album for that style of music didn't have one weak track. The follow up came and went so fast I can only recall " never let you go" .

Odysseus likes this.
  12. akmonday

akmonday Forum Resident

The Cure: Wish to Wild Mood Swings.

tdcrjeff likes this.
  13. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

I actually prefer In the Wake of Poseidon. I don't dislike In the Court of the Crimson King, but it's my least favorite KC album.

danielbravo and Haggis Wampovich like this.
  14. Odysseus

Odysseus Forum Resident

Yeah, most ppl have forgotten about Blue, and rightfully so as it's a train wreck of an album.

15. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident

Yeah, Nefertiti isn’t my favorite from ‘The Second Great Quintet’ (that honor goes to Sorcerer), but it’s better than Miles in the Sky, IMHO.

DTK likes this.
  16. William Abely

William Abely Forum Resident

Beach Boys for the twofer:
    Pet Sounds to Smiley Smile and Holland to 15 Big Ones

Lonesurf and oldsurferdude like this.
  17. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Love "Smiley Smile". Don't love "15 Big Ones".

18. ScienceFictionFan

ScienceFictionFan Forum Resident

I can name a couple -

Saves The Day - One of the best bands to come out of the whole second wave of '90s' Emo' They had a solid trilogy of Albums. Then they went mainstream and have been crap since then.

Weezer - This is a band that has always been very uneven. They can release one good album, and then follow it with four bad ones.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
  19. Biggest drop in quality in their entire career. They were doing fine without Peter Gabriel, but the loss of Hackett really hurt and things were never the same.

Bluesman Mark and Rufus rag like this.
  20. Sepultura - Chaos AD to Roots. From leaders to followers overnight.

As I've mentioned here before, The Offspring were great up to and including Americana, then their songwriting just fell off a cliff completely.

21. ScienceFictionFan

ScienceFictionFan Forum Resident

I love there stuff up until Splinter. Then for me, they started to become lazy in there song writing. Another thing, they seem to take forever to put out anything new these days. Its like they are becoming the Kate Bush of the Pop punk world.

Cosmic_Equilibrium likes this.
  22. Eleanora's Alchemy

Eleanora's Alchemy Forum Cryptid

Bands that fell off

For me, a band that comes to mind is "Smoke City" from the 1990's. They had a big hit, their first album was excellent ("Flying Away", 1997) they toured & they were a great live act. Then..... big drop off! Their second album ("Heroes of Nature", 2001) didn't live up to expectations & the group disbanded shortly thereafter. Oh well, whatever, nevermind.

23. The Lone Cadaver

The Lone Cadaver Bass & Keys Cadaver

A thread about 70s followup albums was just shut down, so I'm tossing my 2 cents worth into this thread and expanding past that.
    These are just some of the albums that really disappointed me. To be fair, most of them have one or two tracks I like.
    Procol Harum - Something Magic
    King Crimson - Lizard and then Islands and of course Earthbound
    Beggars Opera - Get Your Dog Off Me
    Deep Purple - Burn except for the title track and then Stormbringer and then Come Taste the Band
    Led Zeppelin - III and Houses of the Holy
    Badfinger - Ass
    Frank Zappa - Chunga's Revenge
    Gentle Giant - Giant for a Day and then Civilian
    Rod Stewart - Atlantic Crossing (and everything since)
    Genesis - Genesis and then Invisible Touch and then The Way We Walk
    Kate Bush - The Red Shoes and Aerial
    Mike Oldfield - Heaven's Open
    Quicksilver Messenger Service - Comin' Thru
    Three Dog Night - American Pasttime
    Alice Cooper Group - Muscle of Love
    Alice Cooper - Welcome to My Nightmare

blastfurniss likes this.
  24. freq

freq Forum Resident

Never saw a whole band fall off, but Patti Smith did, got pretty seriously injured.

25. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I'd have to say The Threetles.

The main writer went out for a smoke, and he never came back. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.