Bands that fell off

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ColeB24, Jul 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. overdrivethree

overdrivethree Forum Resident

Neil Young - Rust Never Sleeps > Hawks And Doves

Not that HaD is *bad* outright, but it heralds the end of NY’s ‘70s output, which went out with a bang on RNS. And of course, NY proceeding through the ‘80s is a whole can of worms by itself.

2. blastfurniss

blastfurniss Forum Resident

And such an obvious example too! I loathe the Hagar era but I will say the drop in quality from 1984 to 5150 isn't as bad as the drop off from 5150 to OU812. I believe VH without DLR is pointless but 5150 at least had some decent songs with hooks and was a pretty solid debut for VH mach 2. OU812 is their Shark Sandwich. Lame ballads that Journey would have rejected. Stupid lyrics. Half thought out ideas. Not enough guitar. Just a crap record.

Rawkdude and Jmac1979 like this.
  3. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Yep, personal stuff and changing tastes caught up with him.

4. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

In fairness, it was partly because John Fogerty allowed the other band members to write some of the songs and handle some of the vocals on Mardi Gras. Fogerty only contributed 3 songs and they are arguably the best ones on the lp.

Jmac1979 and scotti like this.
  5. Hammerpeg

Hammerpeg Forum Resident

The Stones going from ‘Exile on Main Street’ to ‘Goats Head Soup’ was like Wile E. Coyote falling off a cliff.

mbleicher1 likes this.
  6. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Nothing arguable about it.

breakingglass likes this.
  7. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

It's one thing I like about it really. Ramones- you want drums and guitars up front.

warewolf95 likes this.
  8. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Yes, what happened there. Maybe they smoked industrial amounts of weed as the cover art would indicate.

plugmeintosomething likes this.
  9. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Nothing but white noise in these types of threads. Didn't one just get the freeze put on yesterday for being a camouflaged "I Don't Like" thread?

morgan1098 and mbleicher1 like this.
  10. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

No way.

Mr. Pleasant likes this.
  11. ScienceFictionFan

ScienceFictionFan Forum Resident

Obviously not a Band, but Kate Bush beginning with The Red Shoes.

I've always had the feeling that by the time of said album, she was creatively done and you could tell that she just did not give a **** anymore. Then she completely vanished from the spotlight, and came back as a mother and House Wife. Ariel is bloated and it gives the impression of somebody who had been working on a project for years without any real direction (Like a painter just chucking on excess layers of paint when not needed) Then we had 50 Words For Snow with overlong songs reaching 11 minutes. Why?

And don't get me started on Directors Cut.

Since coming back, she has only put out TWO albums of new material. Before The Dawn was an amazing live comeback, but other then that, it makes you wonder if she should have bothered making a return at all?

Jmac1979 likes this.
  12. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

I disagree. OU812 is better than 5150.

5150 has two OK songs and the rest does zero for me.
    OU812 is half really good songs, half not good songs.

danielbravo likes this.
  13. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

No way I can agree to that. Panorama is one of my favorites by them. Played the SHM CD yesterday and what a great record. A bit of a progressive sound for them and songs such as Getting Through and You Wear Those Eyes are two of my favorites from them.

Can't all agree on the same music...so I do respect your opinion on it.

Jmac1979 likes this.
  14. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

Agreed. OU812 is their worst non-Cherone album. At least For UCKnowledge and Balance bounced back some

blastfurniss likes this.
  15. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

I love her but I agree. Director's Cut being one of the most pointless albums ever. She barely puts new music out and then she goes and does inferior versions of tracks that already weren't her best.

ScienceFictionFan likes this.
  16. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Maybe by comparison, but I recently gave GHS a fresh listen and it holds up on its own.

Now...Dirty Work vs whatever preceded it (Undercover maybe?) is more of a canyon drop than a cliff.

Jmac1979, frightwigwam and blivet like this.
  17. ScienceFictionFan

ScienceFictionFan Forum Resident

I get the impression that music no longer means the same to her like it once did.

18. jdrueke

jdrueke Handsome Man

This is just a personal preference, but for Phish, I love The Story of the Ghost and DESPISE Farmhouse.

19. jdrueke

jdrueke Handsome Man

I love OBC even though I can see it's not as good as Meddle, but I absolutely agree with you in regards to WYWH. Except for the title track, that album has always left me cold. Luckily they came back strong with Animals. I'm out after that.

20. blivet

blivet Forum Resident

For me the big falloff is from It's Only Rock n' Roll to Black and Blue. GHS and IORR have a lot of solid material, GHS especially, but I could go the rest of my life without hearing anything from Black and Blue and I wouldn't even notice.

Another Steve likes this.
  21. Hammerpeg

Hammerpeg Forum Resident

I can’t agree with that. ‘Undercover’ was a terrible album, too.

22. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

I think we'll get music from her again, at least she's not Peter Gabriel who hasn't released an album of originals in 17 years, but do think Kate only makes music when her muse appears. I suppose it's better than half hearted contract filler

ScienceFictionFan likes this.
  23. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

Never got the hate for GHS. Yeah it's a drop off but really a 4.5 star album after four five star albums isn't really that dramatic a descent.

Emotional Rescue was a drop off after Some Girls. Now that's a three star album if ever there was one

24. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Regardless of the reason (if we're Lookin' for a Reason ;)...), it was still a huge drop in quality from previous albums.

I always thought it would have made a great single if boiled down to "Sweet Hitch-Hiker"/"Someday Never Comes"...

25. Johnny Action

Johnny Action Forum President

Oh yes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.