Bands That Got Better After Icon Left

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bloomchild, Aug 23, 2022.

1. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

I assume that you are referring to Genesis. I don't really like the band at all and I haven't even heard much of the post Gabriel stuff, but from the little I have heard I deduce that it's somewhat more melodic. The Gabriel era has a mere two songs that I would class as melodically memorable. Maybe that's not a important consideration for many people's appreciation of Prog, but it's reasonably important for me.

2. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

This is a matter of taste. I agree that they got rawer and, arguably, sounded more powerful. The one time that I saw them was during the Resolver tour. Louise's performance is something that I will never forget.

Still, I think the band is better with Nina than without her. She writes great songs with catchy hooks and is a great singer. She should just not do easy listening solo material.

3. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

Steely Dan after the original band broke up

ARK likes this.
  4. I agree that Nightwish made a lot of their best music after Tarja Turunen left, but I still think she was the finest lead singer they ever had. Strangely their best albums were made with Anette Olzon who I think was their weakest singer. Floor Jansen is almost as good a singer as Tarja.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2022
    DankFridge likes this.
  5. MrCJF

MrCJF Best served with coffee and cake.

Which one was the 'Icon'?

Keith V and Neonbeam like this.
  6. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Queen after Freddie Mercury

Evethingandnothing likes this.
  7. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Oh yeah, sure! Somebody had to notice it. :doh:

8. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Am I getting the premise of this thread wrong? :confused:

9. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I really hope that was about as serious as my terrible Queen comment!

jupiter8 and arthurprecarious like this.
  10. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

You know how much I love Queen!

Neonbeam likes this.
  11. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

As someone who rates Exile as my favourite Stones album, I don't think they got any better after Brian Jones. They were just as good in the mid 60s and better in some ways. More melodic, better lyrics and more diverse.

12. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Post-Gabriel era more melodic? No way!
    Tunes more memorable? Maybe, in the sense that the melodies are a little simpler and easier to remember. Phil Collins also has a smoother voice, which I suppose you could call more melodic. Honestly, though, I am trying to hear it from your point of view, and I just can't. Those early albums are full or gorgeous melodies, which is what attracted me to Genesis in the first place.

Fred1958uk and DMGuy like this.
  13. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

I wouldn't want you to hear it from my point of view. I don't wanna hear it from my point of view. :)

14. Keith todaro

Keith todaro Forum Resident

Just always preferred Craig Fuller - - and I’m not so sure that Lowell George’s reputation didn’t benefit disproportionately from his death … like so many other rock stars’ did.

carlwm likes this.
  15. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

You said it; commercially. That’s not a word I associate with being better. Artistically, I favour PG Fleetwood Mac. Commercially, the McVie/Nicks version is all most people know.

Man at C&A and arthurprecarious like this.
  16. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Even in the UK this is now true even though they were huge in the Peter Green era here with big hit singles, even including a number one with Albatross. Very unusual for such an uncommercial blues rock band. Well deserved though. Surprisingly they did a bit better in the charts with singles than they did with albums.

skisdlimit and vinyl diehard like this.
  17. Randall DeBouvre

Randall DeBouvre forum resident

I know it is a joke, but I still don't get it.

speedracer likes this.
  18. Amnion

Amnion Forum Occupant

Many examples (IMO) are of bands that were going to get better anyway, not because an "icon" left.
    Take the Stones for example - they're still here! Because Brian flamed out???
    Also some questionable interpretations of "icon"... Ooops, "that guy" again, yelling at clouds.:hide:

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  19. Randall DeBouvre

Randall DeBouvre forum resident

clayton-thomas had a better voice, but he was an even more divisive personality than kooper.

AudiophilePhil likes this.
  20. speedracer

speedracer Forum Resident

Just how Dylan is always reinventing himself, he is a man of many faces, always moving on from the icon role that people try to fix on him.

I contain multitudes

Amnion and Randall DeBouvre like this.
  21. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I think the Stones got better sans Brian, as I think "Bleed" and "Exile" are easily their best albums - and "Fingers" is top 5. (Maybe top 3, depending on mood.) And Brian was an inconsistent participant for "Banquet", so that album almost becomes "post-Brian".

But I do agree they were already very good and the departure of Brian didn't mark a revolutionary upgrade.

Zoot Marimba, Neonbeam and Man at C&A like this.
  22. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Seems to me Steely Dan had 2 icons: Fagan and Becker.

Maybe someone really liked David Palmer? :D

23. finslaw

finslaw muzak to my ears

Ritchie Blackmore left Deep Purple following some really rote albums and then Steve Morse came on board and the band suddenly became inspired.

The Pretty Things have no true icons (in a just world Phil May would at least be an LGBTQ icon/pioneer), but Dick Taylor is maybe as close as they get due to his history with the early Stones, and after he left the band they created their best album.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2022
    StunnedAndRotund likes this.
  24. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

Why do you think David Clayton-Thomas' personality was even more divisive?

25. DankFridge

DankFridge Forum Resident

The live shows with Floor have been mind blowing, but I think they still have yet to capture her full power in the studio. The climax of Shoemaker was a great start. Same with the growls on Empty Hope. I guess it all comes down to Tuomas' songwriting though. He definitely has final say on everything.

Nightwish's road crew have their own band called Crewish. I read that Tuomas and Tarja both contributed their latest release. In separate studios surely, but I thought that was pretty cool!