Bands that lost just one player and lost their way

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by flyingdutchman, Mar 19, 2023.

1. Marvin

Marvin Senior Member

If they lost their way without Peter Gabriel, how did they again lose their way when Hackett left?

2. Marvin

Marvin Senior Member

Poco without Richie Furay.

I seem to be posting a lot about them today...

3. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

In the marketplace perhaps, but in terms of songs and sonics, IMO, they became Just Another Generic Yet Successful Pop Metal Band.

No Bull, Gus Tomato, Oatsdad and 4 others like this.
  4. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

That's true, I saw them back in 2000 with Entwistle. They were fantastic. I'd rather have things as they are than 40 years of crap - mediocre quality Who albums.

Mikewest and arthurprecarious like this.
  5. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

No, they actually benefitted from it. Seven was uneven, but then they released Cantamos, and continued a great run of albums up through 1977. Cantamos is a great freaking album. The 4 man Poco lineup made music equally as good as the Richie era, I’d not better.

6. DPK

DPK Forum Resident

Soul Asylum losing Dan Murphy.

Bill Diercks, JuanTCB and Memobook like this.
  7. wdiv

wdiv Forum Resident

Def Leppard after Steve Clark died in 1991. The band never came close to recapturing their 80's glory.

Misfits without Glenn Danzig

Last edited: Mar 19, 2023
  8. Walking Antique

Walking Antique Nothing is incomprehensible

I hear this kind of thing all the time, but someone would have to explain it to me. My interest in the Rolling Stones begins with "Beggars Banquet", their first album (mostly) without Brian. From then on they really became "The World's Greatest Rock'n'Roll Band". Why is Brian Jones so important?

9. Mark Snowden

Mark Snowden Forum Resident

Crazy Horse lost a lot when Danny Whitten left and became something else with Poncho. I've seen them live with Nils and it's again a different (great) band. Danny and Poncho were around when Neil was in a golden period of songwriting, Nils isn't. Neil has certainly lost his way but I don't think that's due to the loss of Poncho.

Same argument could be made for the loss of Andy Fraser but I wouldn't say Free lost their way with Heartbreaker (my fav Free LP), more like Paul Rodgers found his way forward.

Gratefully Deadicated and bmoc79 like this.
  10. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

More artistically than commercial (at first).......but Little Feat after Lowell George died.

I know that as George became more inhibited, his input was less as the 70s went on, and I know their biggest commercial success was with the first 2 Craig Fuller albums.........but I just think the classic band was through 1979. I don't really listen afterwards.

11. sami

sami Mono still rules

The Grateful Dead after Brent died. They carried on, and Hornsby provided some nice moments of chemistry with Jerry, but they were essentially Weekend at Bernie's after 1991. I'm sure many Heads who went to shows after '91 will vehemently disagree.

12. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

They were more hit and miss 1992-1995.........but I put the cause on Jerry's usage/declining health than blaming Vince Welnick.

13. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

Ok, they lost their way when Gabriel left and then completely lost their bearings after Hackett departed. Thankfully for them where ever the hell they ended was much more financially lucrative so what the hell do I know and why is anyone even listening to me or reading this? (Maybe they aren’t!)

14. sami

sami Mono still rules

Not blaming Vince at all even though his playing isn't my cup of tea - he entered into an impossible situation IMO. The band IMO had come to the end of the road by the time Brent passed. Hell, they probably should have called it quits after Jerry's coma in '86, but the machine had to be fed.

15. zen

zen Senior Member

CCR post Tom Fogerty.
    ...but they did pick up a sweet hitch hiker along the way.

16. barking spider

barking spider Forum Resident

Fairport Convention after Sandy Denny left and even more after Richard Thompson quit too.

17. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

After[Gladys Knight]left...what happened to the [Pips]???

carrick doone likes this.
  18. Post-Punk Monk

Post-Punk Monk Seeking divinity in records from '78-'85 or so…

[​IMG] MINUS [​IMG] EQUALS [​IMG]

andy obrien and hutlock like this.
  19. finslaw

finslaw muzak to my ears

Weezer didn't start until Scott Shriner got here.

20. docwebb

docwebb Forum Resident

Many of the members listed left for a reason. Things were not going well. Conflict between members over musical direction or personalities. Their leaving was not necessarily the reason for the band losing its way but rather the result of the band losing its way.

Jarleboy, blivet and ARK like this.
  21. somnar

somnar Senior Member

Great idea for a thread. For me, the interesting ones involve losing members that aren't front people and so the "lost their way" thing seems a bit more surprising. But I think those are few and far between.

I'll add here that I'm also interested in situations where you - the listener who's posting on this thread - lost interest in a band after a non-front-member of a band split. They may have gone onto greater (or equal) heights - so "lost their way doesn't apply" - but it wasn't the same for you. This one's easier for me: Elvis Costello after Bruce Thomas left and, although I didn't experience this one in real time, Springsteen after Vinnie Lopez and David Sancious left. And, although I was never super into Foreigner, I certainly wasn't interested at all after Ian McDonald left. And, come to think of is, King Crimson after McDonald and Giles left.

22. CaptainFeedback1

CaptainFeedback1 It's nothing personal.

I've got a mouldy old loaf in the cupboard. Still said 'bread' on the label last time I looked...

23. flyingdutchman

flyingdutchman Senior Member Thread Starter

Before this devolves into another damn Beatles thread, no, they just quit playing as a group. The intent of my thread was not on a group that just quit playing but kept on playing and literally lost their way.

24. B. Bu Po

B. Bu Po Senior Member

Pink Floyd after Barret.
    King Crimson after Sinfield.

Icethorn likes this.
  25. Madrid

Madrid Forum Resident

The Damned without Captain Sensible.

JuanTCB and CaptainFeedback1 like this.