Bands that were huge and then disliked*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Musician95616, Jun 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

well, it didn't really help Sinead's case that she followed her big breakthrough album with an album of jazz-arrangement cover songs when she was on SNL, so it wasn't like she was aiming for the charts. Honestly though, Sinead was always more of an "artist" and not someone who wanted to be bogged down with being a pop star, she just happened to have one song that really blew up but was otherwise not representative of her general work.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  2. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

I totally agree with you. I remember young people listening to BOTH bands, and Guns was huge in Europe back then. I remember they were pretty much everywhere and there were still full colour magazines dedicated to them, with posters and so on, in 93.People should just take a look at their tour itininerary, they were not on their way out at all.

I'm still surprised that Green Day came back and became hugely popular again. I wouldn't have expected it at all. And I was glad.
    Smashing Pumpkins were huge in 1996. Again, they toured and toured and toured all year, and they were on heavy rotation on MTV. Things started to cool off a bit around the time of "The End is the Beginning is the End" in 1997. And "Adore" was a big breaking point, especially in the US (what a shame, this album is great).
    The Pumpkins were only touring clubs in Europe for "Gish" and "Siamese Dream". Success on a wider scale came with "Mellon Collie". "Adore" came out, many people didn't like it and they left. BUT a whole new audience got into the Pumpkins with this album. Which wasn't really the case in the US I think.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
    carlwm and Jmac1979 like this.
  3. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

Right. Them and Metallica were like teflon when grunge hit, it didn't affect either at all. Aerosmith and Van Halen were still scoring big hits in the mid-90s but admittedly they were already legends by 1991 so it wasn't going to hurt them the way it hurt Nelson.

Dodoz likes this.
  4. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

[​IMG]

numer9 likes this.
  5. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

Yep, stateside Siamese Dream had done very well, and then Mellon Collie put them in the A-list for awhile. "Adore" arrived like a thud over here and they never were able to rebound. Music tastes were changing so much at the time and Adore lacked a Today or 1979 or something that drew in the casuals.

Dodoz likes this.
  6. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

Well, "Perfect" could have been that song. It's very "1979". Or "Let me Give the World to You", had Billy left it on the album...

7. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

True. Ava Adore as a leadoff single was suicide and by the time Perfect came out as a single, the album was already DOA here. It was a pretty quick fall for them, although they never really carried a stigma like some of the hair metal bands or new wave bands or whatever did when times changed, their moment just passed abruptly. Good that the album performed better in Europe at least.

Dodoz likes this.
  8. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

"Adore" came with a pretty big change in sound - way more "electronic", less rock. Would a more straightforward rock album have done better? Maybe not, but I suspect it would have.

The album still got to #2 and went platinum, but it represented a steep decline after the huge success of "MC"...

Dodoz likes this.
  9. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

A change of image, an evolution in the sound, and not touring the album too much (compared to the previous two albums) was the final blow, I'd say. Billy Corgan said that, had it been sold as a more acoustic album rather than a so called "electronica" album (which it's not, actually) it may have sold better.

10. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

If that's your criteria, you're going to need a broader umbrella. Much broader....

"Grunge", like most labels people use to categorize bands from a certain place and time, is both too restrictive and simultaneously not restrictive enough. And as such, like most labels, it's kinda useless as a result except for starting and fueling music-nerd slapfights. And, in the case of "Grunge", for selling "designer" flannel shirts. Most of the Seattle bands rejected the label outright. Good for them.

D.D.

11. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

Greta Van Zep....that's about it.

12. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

I didn’t get into Adore at first but revisited it later and it’s my favorite SP album these days. The big rock records sound super dated to me. Adore sounds way more interesting.

13. Lance Hall

Lance Hall Senior Member

Limp Bizkit. Took a while before people realized they were garbage, stupid garbage.

Fullbug, onlyacanvasky and Dodoz like this.
  14. Odysseus

Odysseus Forum Resident

IDK, I seem to recall people knowing LB was complete garbage right from the get-go.

mr. steak, tkl7, Dodoz and 1 other person like this.
  15. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

Quoting myself, how egotistical, but also Jimmy's Chamberlin departure was a blow. Okay, he was the drummer and most people don't care about the drummer (which is stupid as JC is fantastic) but it's always a blow to the image when a founding member leaves. I remained a fan but that was a big thing for me at the time.

16. Odysseus

Odysseus Forum Resident

Adore would've benefited from having fewer songs on it too. The album certainly had a lot of filler on it.

Fastnbulbous likes this.
  17. When the tide turned against The Monkees they couldn’t get arrested when it came to the charts.

18. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

I don't agree.

19. puddingdish

puddingdish Forum Resident

Except in Australia, where nobody wants to admit how much they sucked.

onionmaster, Fastnbulbous and DTK like this.
  20. Odysseus

Odysseus Forum Resident

Ok

D.B. likes this.
  21. Osthagen

Osthagen Forum Resident

Bon Jovi.

22. M2225

M2225 Nebulus 7 intergalaxy eclipse

haven't read the 30+ pages, but referring to the thread title, not many active STYX (US) threads around here? They sold in the millions, why?

carlwm likes this.
  23. BroJB

BroJB Large Marge sent me.

This reminds me of that great exchange in the Commitments;

Cos you know all about music, Jimmy. You had Frankie Goes To Hollywood's album before anyone else AND you were first to realise they were s**t!

24. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade

The first four bands I thought of were covered in the first two posts (Knack, Nickleback, Hootie, Spin Doctors)

25. DeeUK70

DeeUK70 Forum Resident

Coldplay

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.