Bands you didn't discover until you were "older"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Michael Young, Sep 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. foam55

foam55 Well-Known Member

Gram Parsons at 50.

keyse1 likes this.
  2. Mr. Pleasant

Mr. Pleasant Forum Resident

Thumbs up to that. :righton:

tin ears and Silken like this.
  3. keyse1

keyse1 Forum Resident

Hope you don’t mind suggestions
    I say this as often as possible
    Spotify Halfway and random play the songs
    Almost certain you will like it judging from the list

Mr. Pleasant likes this.
  4. keyse1

keyse1 Forum Resident

Gee that opens a bottomless pit of great music now called Americana

5. bvb1123

bvb1123 Rock and Roll Martian

When I was young I loved CSN and, to a lesser degree CSN&Y because I thought Young was the weak link. Now I love Neil Young and almost never listen to CSN. Growing up really changes your musical perspective that's for sure.

6. dreamer

dreamer Well-Known Member

Fleetwood Mac at 41! How was it possible?

tin ears likes this.
  7. lesterbangs

lesterbangs Forum Resident

Husker Du age 31 (this year actually)

8. Paulette

Paulette Forum Resident

Black Sabbath.

Of course I had heard Iron Man, War Pigs and Paranoid in the background of my life.
    But, it was not until October 2017 that I truly heard them.

And it is kinda like being scooped out and raised above.

Believe it or not, we got our first vehicle with Bluetooth capabilities in July. I was having fun setting it all up and playing You Tube through the sound system. I had also just purchased the commercial free You Tube and was using my account because of that and I was getting more recommendations all the time.

So, they popped up.

Ozzy's voice touched me and set me heavy onto a bed of thick warm coverings. If I could I would always be there. I can feel everything there and still have comfort from his voice.
    In 6 months, I've heard 9 albums all through and parts of others. I've read countless articles, interviews, Ozzy's books and Tony's book. Watched a few documentaries.
    Praise God for Black Sabbath.

9. Ken E.

Ken E. Senior Member

The Opera at 50.

10. Mr. Pleasant

Mr. Pleasant Forum Resident

I don't mind suggestions at all. In fact I welcome them.

I'll be sure to check them out.

11. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Joni Mitchell in my 40's

12. Another Steve

Another Steve Senior Member

Thirty-something years late to the party on the original, "Peter Green's" Fleetwood Mac that included Jeremy Spencer and Danny Kirwin. A boatload of talent that built on all that synergy. I was in my mid 50s.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 20, 2018
    dreamer likes this.
  13. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Better late than never, check out Pete"s Splinter Group too!

dreamer likes this.
  14. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

Madonna at 31

15. Ken.e.

Ken.e. Spinning music since...

There are so many artist that I discovered later in life that I initially had not really listened to. It started at 40 when I heard Joni Mitchell at a friend's house. I couldn't get enough Joni for a few years. I remember listening to her albums in absolute awe of what she created and her incredibly great voice.
    After that I got into Nick Drake who I also thought was amazingly interesting. His output was small yet it seemed to have a lifetime of emotion in it. His three main albums were all classic albums that I never even heard about until Paul Weller mentioned him when Heliocentric was released.
    Eventually I moved on to Chicago as a new discovery. I found that their eatly (first 9 studio albums or up to XI) were amazing albums. They had such a good sound, great guitar, fantastic horns and almost a Prog jam feel with pop sensibility. I have to admit that I thought Chicago was going to be similar to Lionel Richie. Again I was at a friends house sitting down having a beer and listening and he put on Chicago II. He put on a few other CDs I had never heard as well but that one really open my mind. I was still a vinyl listener as well as CD and found NM copies af most of their albums at Thrift Shops including the Carnegiehall Live album. I think I paid a dollar each for them. This was before the revival of vinyl got under way around 2004. The only one I've never found in NM condition is the first one, only VG. I think there are still great deals on used Chicago albums out there but personally I am not a big fan of Hot Streets and on although I did pick up a few of the for a dollar. They have been a one side listen for me.
    I Really enjoyed discovering an artist that I missed out on, it's was a lot of fun. Perhaps not as much now when I can Spotify their entire discography. Sometimes convenience takes away the magic

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.