Bang-my-head-against-the-wall-why-did-I-do-such-a-stupid-thing-as-to-sell-it list.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by William Bryant, Jan 24, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spica

Spica Easy like Sunday morning

Spica Angelus

macster, ti-triodes and Fruff76 like this.
  2. tman53

tman53 Vinyl is an Addiction

Lots and lots of guitars but the big one was a 1958 Fender Precision Bass.

SandAndGlass and Harrocks like this.
  3. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

I do wish I still had my R7. And my original GFA-555 I carried home on the train from a little shop near Washington Square where I used to drool over Polk SDAs.

[​IMG]

4. bluesaddict

bluesaddict High Tech Welder

Sold my Jolida JD9 phono preamp thinking I would need it. Pioneer PL 12D needed money to move back home to Colorado. I still miss that tt.

Non audio. 2005 KTM 525 RFS did everything right.
    [​IMG]

timind, Fruff76 and Slimwhit33 like this.
  5. Kurt RUhlin

Kurt RUhlin Forum Resident

Sold my one year old Sansui AU 717/TU 717 when moving to college. In college I bought a Sansui G 5700 which I still have today but I miss that 717...

timind and Slimwhit33 like this.
  6. NapaBob

NapaBob Forum Resident

Sold my record collection in the 90s because 'the world was going digital'. Right.

SandAndGlass, DRM, bhazen and 7 others like this.
  7. William Bryant

William Bryant Forum Resident Thread Starter

Me too! Except I didn’t sell it; I gave it to my best friend—who rubs it in my face from time to time and tells me he will never give it back under any circumstances!

macster, SandAndGlass, timind and 3 others like this.
  8. mongo

mongo Senior Member

I sold mine for $50. Hadn't used it in years. Plugged in to compare to my then current Oppo-105.
    No comparison. The Oppo was leagues better with CDs.
    The system that the Cal CD player was in included a pair of HL-P3es that I sold for like $400-500.
    Dumb, dumb, dumb

I sold most all of my MFSL albums in 93-5.
    I still don't play vinyl but I'm sure they're worth far more now than then.

Fruff76 likes this.
  9. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

Perhaps so... but if that "stuff" gives you pleasure while you're alive (or is a means to help you enjoy something you like, such as audio equipment), then it's not meaningless. The key is to own the stuff, not let the stuff own you.

MarkO, AndyCC72, macster and 4 others like this.
  10. William Bryant

Since I’m the OP I’ll go down a little rabbit trail here. Between my house and work, that is, before I retired, there are four huge self-storage companies and a fifth under construction. Hundreds and hundreds of storage units filled with ... what? Most of the houses in Meridian have two-car garages and many have three-car garages. Yet we seem to need even more room to store all the junk we’ve bought. Much of it junk we rent space to store off our property out of sight and finally out of mind until we honestly can’t even remember what all we have. This really is too much. Keep the stuff that’s meaningful to you. Donate to Goodwill or sell the stuff that isn’t. But for goodness sake don’t store stuff you will never use or even forget you own. OK rant over.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
  11. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

Buescher Series I Aristocrat tenor sax with Art Deco Engraving. I actually loaned it to a friend that “misunderstood” I wanted it back and he got rid of it. I suspect he traded it for the Conn tenor he suddenly acquired.

Pioneer SA 9100 silver-faced integrated amp a classic that I sold to me ex brother-in-law for a song and he promptly flipped it to feed his cocaine habit.:realmad:

ADS L 880 Series II speakers that would be excellent for a back up system. We didn’t have room and I sold them to a friend who still uses them.:)

My last car a perfectly maintained Ford Fiesta that sipped gas and was great for squeezing into tight NYC parking spaces. It would be nice to have as a second car.
    :doh:

12. William Bryant

The tenor saxophone story made me weep. The Ford Fiesta story—well, let’s just say yours and mine do not occupy the same place in the order of our affections!

Sneaky Pete likes this.
  13. UnityCoupled

UnityCoupled Forum Resident

Tandberg Model 6, along with my entire R2R tape collection in the late 90's.

14. jeffmackwood

jeffmackwood Forum Resident

1982 Honda CB900C in candy blue.

Replaced it with a brand new red 1983 CB1100F.

I used the 1100F to rip the back end off a Datsun B210, thus ending my riding career. (See my book for the complete story.)

Jeff

timind, Aftermath and bluesaddict like this.
  15. papatwo

papatwo Abiding Member

Pioneer SX 1980 receiver. Pain is almost, but not completely, relieved when I remember that this sale allowed me to purchase my L300 speakers.

Sneaky Pete likes this.
  16. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

I must have gotten lucky. My transmission didn’t give me problems, and Ford did preemptive work on it under a recall.

Yes your sax story made me tear up too. I do have a 1952 Beuscher Aristocrat and it is a honey. I still miss the older one though.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
    bluesaddict and William Bryant like this.
  17. Bucketfoot

Bucketfoot Forum Resident

Even though I wasn't using it anymore, I to this day regret selling my pre-CBS Fender Twin Reverb.

bhazen, Sneaky Pete and bluesaddict like this.
  18. Noel Patterson

Noel Patterson Music Junkie

Yep, several hundred lps and cds, cuz mp3 was magic.....sigh...:doh: Oh, and a Thorens TD125 in a garage sale....

DRM and timind like this.
  19. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Recently downsized for a move and sold quite a bit of stereo equipment. Probably not the most expensive or the nicest piece of equipment I sold but I regret selling my Nak Dragon.

DRM, timind, rocnred and 1 other person like this.
  20. Zach_

Zach_ Forum Resident

I moved a few years ago and sold all of my equipment. Nothing spectacular, but some Sony ES gear, B&W speakers, all of my CDs, etc. I was sort of out of the music scene for a while, and was only streaming when I listened to anything. But eventually I decided to get back in, and I bought some higher end equipment. And I found my new system is 100x better than the old. Next, I found a few boxes at my office and realized that I never got around to actually selling my CDs! So for me, it was best thing that could have happened. I have a better system than before that I enjoy more, and I'm able to rediscover all of my old music.

TimB and timind like this.
  21. Bungo

Bungo Forum Resident

I once sold my Sennheiser HD-600 headphones and "upgraded" to HD-650. Regretted the decision after a few months, sold the HD-650 and bought another pair of HD-600 which have been with me ever since, ~15 years or so.

22. fireprix

fireprix Forum Resident

Only piece of audio equipment I ever tossed was a Harmon Kardon AVR20. An old pro-logic that needed new RCA jacks on the back. Used to use it as an outboard amp because it had 75 high current wpc but every once in a while it would emit a high pitched squeal that fried numerous JBL 035TIA titanium dome tweeters which don’t really grow on trees anymore. Probably should have kept and fixed it. Someone picked it out of the trash can though.

Since others are listing cars, the one I miss most is my 1976 Oldsmobile Toronado. Had a 455 with front wheel drive. Ripped tire like a muscle car. With studded snow tires on the front would go through snow like a 4X4. Was like driving down the road on your living room couch. Paid $750 for it in about 1992 and drove it for about 12 years. Frame rusted through twice on upper passenger side rear above wheel and junked it. Funniest thing was the floor and trunk was as clean as my 89 Firebird that has been garage kept since new and never saw snow and rarely in rain. Was my winter roach but just wouldn’t die. God I miss that car.

23. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

My Nak Dr-1 I regret, also not really regret but would love to have back my Air Tight ATC-1/ATM-1 combo just because those were early days and I knew zero about tube rolling. I probably never heard those two pieces at their best.

24. smith6552

smith6552 trust the process, not the internet

Almost every original cd I had because the remasters were gonna be better.

DRM likes this.
  25. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

The fireglo Rickenbacker 320 that my dad unexpectedly bought for me at Sam Ash on W. 48th St. in 1981, while we were on a trip to NYC to visit family.

I sold it in 1985, after I got my first job and upgraded to a Rickenbacker 330.

It's not that the little 320 was such a great guitar (it wasn't), but it was such a wonderfully unexpected gift, and it was so cool of him to just whip out a credit card and buy it for me on the spot. Now that he's gone, I really wish I still had it.

[​IMG]

Alright4now and macster like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.