Bangor/Portland ME Music Stores?

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by jrice, May 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jrice

jrice Senior Member Thread Starter

I'm going to be visiting Bangor and Portland ME later this month and was wondering if anyone here could make some recommendations regarding interesting new or used CD stores in those areas (or in the I-95 corridor between them). Thanks,

Jim

2. cathandler

cathandler Senior Member

Here are a couple...

Visit Newbury Comics in South Portland, and Bull Moose Music in Scarborough. Both are nice independent chains; the latter is Maine-based. Don't go by what you see on their websites - both chains outsource their e-commerce solutions.

3. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

Bull Moose Music also has a store in Bangor (Hogan Road/Bangor Mall exit). It's one of two independent stores in the area and their prices selection are generally good. The employees are friendly and knowledgeable. Almost unheard of today! The other store is in Orono (about 10 miles north of Bangor) and is called Dr. Records. He has some used vinyl and new and used CDs. If you make the Orono trip, don't miss "Pat's Pizza". It's the best!

4. duff138

duff138 Forum Resident

I was born in Bangor, but moved before my music buying started (age 6). I have been to the BullMoose Records in Portland, and a coulpe others based in Maine and one in NH. Definiteley check out BullMoose records. Really good used section

5. jrice

Thanks for the replies. Also glad for a pizza recommendation too!

Jim

6. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

I used to live in Bangor and can vouch for Mike(Strange Design)'s recommendations.

Dr Records is a little basement store, but they had some great stock at incredibly cheap prices. I don't know if you are into vinyl but this is a great place. Bull Moose has great new stock and a very good used selection.

Evan

7. reidc

reidc Senior Member

Did there used to be a Bull Moose in Salem NH? I used to stoip at a strip mall that was perpendicular to RT 28, it was on the northbound side. I wanna say it was at a light across from Best Buy???

I haven't been in there for a couple years, but there was a ton of vinyl.

Chris

8. Yup, used to be. I forget what's there now, but I don't think it's a record shop.

9. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

While driving by this exit today, I remembered that Maine DOT, in their infinite wisdom, renumbered all of the exits on the interstate. The new exit number for Bull Moose is 178.
    If you are coming south, hang a right (actually because of construction, you can't go left anyway) If you are coming north, go left. It's tucked into the Maine Square Mall on the right just before the Olive Garden.

10. jrice

Thank you!

11. JMCIII

JMCIII Music lover first, audiophile second.

Also, for some really good used vinyl, at reasonable prices (no CD's, the owner'll shoot you if you ask about them), try Enterprise Records on Congress St. (center of town) in Portland. I never get out of there with less than $100 out-of-pocket.
    There is also a used vinyl shop on Route 1 south of Portland/Scarbourgh, though i can't recall its name off the top of my head. Prices are higher than Enterprise, but still OK.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.