Barnes and Noble Vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Fruff76, Dec 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shelflife

shelflife Forum Resident

The 25% coupon from last week served me well. The selection at my local store is spotty but there is always something worth getting. And they gave me another 25% coupon at check out.

The online selection is better and the service is often as good as Amazon's.

I don't see what the problem is.

2. MondoFanM

MondoFanM Member from ATX

B&N is pretty close to me. While I’d rather visit a record store, time doesn’t always permit when I have my baby with me.

But another vote for me being able to find the seasonal Rhino reissues here. They didn’t get all the 80s punk/new wave I wanted though. And I am into a lot of the Analog Spark stuff. I bought Cabaret, Dave Does Disney and Fiddler on the Roof here.

3. Exit Flagger

Exit Flagger Forum Resident

The only complaint I have against B&N is that the two stores nearest me have downsized their vinyl sections by 70% in the past two years.

4. Daven23

Daven23 Forum Resident

Re issues maybe. But they don’t sell the same records as a regular record store unlesss you are talking about the re issues, which I wouldn’t buy from a record store either.

I strongly believe that Barnes and Noble and FYE and Target and whatever chains sell records are targeting a specific demographic.

For example my boss’ son recently got into records. My Boss asked me where to buy records, because they have been buying him records from Barnes and Noble and FYE and they are wondering where they could find them
    More affordable. I offered to help they find all the records on her sons want list online cheaper. I asked though did it have to be a new sealed or could it be a Original? They told
    Me they would ask him. They came back and said he only wanted brand new sealed records. I told them why originals would sound better and they didn’t understand either. Her son is new into vinyl and is content playing records that sound like CDs on his Crosley player.

5. charlie W

charlie W EMA Level 10

The B&N near me has a respectable stock of records. I bought 2 David Bowie albums there and I didn't think the prices were that outrageous compared to other places or online outlets. I just don't go there that often enough to make it routine on my regular records quests.

Adam Bosman likes this.
  6. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

you shouldn't be so sure, because you are completely wrong.

7. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

In my most recent experience, new vinyl for small record stores isn't very profitable. In fact, the returns can go right against the money made in a short time.
    Labels don't accept defos.
    Big business (B&N, Best Buy, Amazon) does.

8. Brian Barker

Brian Barker "No matter where you go, there you are"

It depends on where you live. Here in Georgia, the prices at Barnes and Noble are equivalent to Amazon IF you have the membership card, and that pretty much means they tend (not always, but most of the time) to be cheaper than any of the local shops which have really expensive overhead. Also, Borders failed because they let Amazon handle their online sales. If they'd done it in house they'd probably still be around today.

dkmonroe likes this.
  9. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Not necessarily true.

That's certainly not true, in all cases. Many times the digitally sourced vinyl will come from a high-res master or may even be less compressed versus the tweaking done with the CD release.

Or it could be a redbook CD source. I'm sure that can happen as well, depends on the label / title.

I always love how "record" seems to imply a reissue, around here. The vast majority of my vinyl purchases are new releases..so the first pressing is the only pressing.

But to your point...B&N can sometimes end up being the cheapest option. They just had three 20% online coupons emailed to me since Thanksgiving. And two 25% off in store where that plus 10% extra with a yearly subscription can actually work out well. Obviously you need to purchase a lot to justify the yearly subscription cost but even without that the occasional 20% / 25% coupon is useful.

superstar19, dkmonroe and MoonPanda like this.
  10. maui jim

maui jim Forum Resident

Agreed. Was there over the holiday too. Finally sprung for their Dead exclusive. 67 show. Left at daughters home. Suppose to bring it out to me for the holidays.

11. Christopher B

Christopher B Forum Resident

Old stock....about 8 copies gathering dust

c-eling likes this.
  12. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

This might truly be one of the most embarrassing threads that I have ever seen on this forum.
    Besides exclusives, which would feature the SAME masterings as its counterparts, why would ANYONE think that Barnes & Noble sells a different version than whats sold at a local record store, Amazon or Target??? If it’s not a used version of an OG pressing IT’S THE SAME RECORD.

PooreBoy, Synthfreek, wino14 and 5 others like this.
  13. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

He’s probably quoting the sticker that’s on the record. “180 Gram Audiophile Recording”. Probably 80% of re-issues have this claim. This is a bogus thread.

14. colgems1966

colgems1966 PhD in Les Pauls and Telecasters

I got a B&N exclusive purple vinyl Electric Ladyland in store for $19.99 plus tax. I feel that was a good value.

There have been lots of exclusives too on colored vinyl that I’ve bought. Though it’s not my only source for new vinyl I have no complaints. There’s only a handful of stores in my area that sell new vinyl. I try to patronize them all when it makes sense to.

riverrat and Fender Relic like this.
  15. Daven23

Daven23 Forum Resident

For New release vinyl, Amazon and sometimes eBay or discogs will be the cheaper option then Barnes and Noble every single time. No paid subscription required. It’s not even debatable. No marking up the prices just to give 10 percent off or 20 percent off to get the cost down to regular retail. But anyway enjoy.

16. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

Except that you can walk into the store and walk out with a record within 5 minutes.

tkl7, dkmonroe, colgems1966 and 2 others like this.
  17. Mark H

Mark H Senior Member

Been a B&N member for years now. With the coupons, free shipping, and across the board 10% discounts, I've done very well. I use Import Cds and Amazon quite often also. Bought Petty's "American Treasure" last week for $109. 00 tax included. They usually have most of the new Rhino vinyl, McCartney reissues, Dylan's current and some classic stuff, same with Morrison.

I've ordered from them numerous times. Shipping is always free. Got the first 2 Kate Bush boxes for about $80.00 a piece, tax included. Yeah, you need to be aware of Friday Music, and some of the dubious re-issuers out there. Never had a problem with the rare returns. I've been extremely happy with my two local stores. Their two special edition James Taylor releases of a couple years ago, were re-pressings of the Hoffman/Gray re-issues of a few years ago.

Only real drawback is seeing 24.99 re-issues of LPs, I can go find for 8, or ten bucks, in NM condition, at a couple local used record stores. But that happens everywhere that sells new vinyl anyway

18. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

I am with you on the membership -- I feel that it pays for the $25 fee with the coupons and discounts throughout the year.

Plus they do two "vinyl weekends" throughout the year where they have B&N exclusives available -- their releases are not for everyone, but I am happy they release Broadway cast recordings (new, never-before-on vinyl, and classic titles), as well as pop vocalists among them.

As far as the reissues you mention, B&N is providing a service to people that don't want to buy used copies of albums (myself included). I will pay the premium price over going to the second-hand stores.

19. Daven23

Daven23 Forum Resident

If money is no object then have at it. What do you care what I think

20. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

There's this persistent myth that LPs at B&N are somehow different from LPs anywhere else, as if they were Woolworth or a B&M equivalent of Columbia House. I don't understand where that comes from. It's come up before several times.

21. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

Because you are spouting erroneous information, that’s why.

tkl7, Synthfreek and pghmusiclover like this.
  22. Adam Bosman

Adam Bosman Forum Resident

Same boat here. I've found myself checking them out more often for exclusives or main-stream releases. There's a B/N near my house. They're awful at getting new releases out on time, so browsing for release day stuff is a no-go.

I got the Clear Blackstar from B/N the day before Bowie died, and will forever have a soft spot for them because of it.

pghmusiclover likes this.
  23. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Three days ago I purchased Kate Bush's Remastered IV vinyl, at B&N. $80 shipped and that included tax. Care of their 20% off coupon.

Amazon would have been something like $94.00 shipped incl tax. Ebay new = ImportCD's best option and it was a few dollars more than B&N unless you bought a ton more things from them. And Discogs is generally used material and/or overseas which means huge shipping rates.

I'm a cheap bastard. You think I don't do my homework when I buy?

SJP, I333I and colgems1966 like this.
  24. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

If you read this thread you will see I mentioned specifically that the most recent vinyl purchase I made was from B&N and it was cheaper than Amazon. You are spreading false information.

I333I and Gaslight like this.
  25. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

I'd love to hear your source on this one.

Or is it "just a feeling". I'm starting to wonder if you're just a disgruntled ex-Borders employee.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.