Barnes & Noble 50% Off Vinyl Sale

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by Vinyljunkie22, Aug 6, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

Vinyl has been non-returnable for at least twenty-five years, if not longer. That’s why the labels love it.
    And there shouldn’t be any confusion about what is and isn’t returnable because nothing is returnable. If a store decides to take back a defective record, they are eating the cost or are planning to re-sell the defective vinyl at a reduced price as @Jspmike mentioned.

:—)

Shawn, hutlock and Jspmike like this.
  2. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

I managed an indie record shop just after college in the mid-90s, and vinyl wasn’t returnable then—not even if you bought direct from the labels. You just had to eat any defectives at the store level. Sucked.

3. Vinyljunkie22

Vinyljunkie22 Forum Resident Thread Starter

What makes the pressing plants so special that they are excluded from returns? If they are so confident in the quality of their product any honest customer of theirs who buys their product should be able to send back defective ones and get their money back.

Jspmike likes this.
  4. The Elephant Man

It’s not the pressing plants. It’s the labels. From my time in the business, I gathered that it was just a way for
    labels to make easy money without having to worry about returns. Once it’s sold, you don’t have to worry about it.

astro70, dee, hutlock and 3 others like this.
  5. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

Apart from manufacturing defects, alarge part of it is how fragile albums are to ship. If stores were able to return albums for things like bent corners, there wouldn't be a vinyl option. One man's split seam tragedy is another man's who cares, meaning a lot of defects are subjective to who's buying it (again apart from actual vinyl defects). Those are all headaches that the labels want no part of. Unfortunately for stores, unless otherwise stated, I believe by law they have to take returns.

6. Vinyljunkie22

So I just checked their website and it says "shrink wrapped items that have been opened" under "Items That Cannot Be Returned". So I guess technically vinyl albums cannot be returned but they are willing to make special exceptions. Amazon has a pretty liberal vinyl return policy but apparently you get banned completely if you make too many returns in a year.

7. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Yep. Also, back in the day of the in-store CD listening stations and the like, customers would often try to return vinyl simply because they didn’t like the album. Not cool.

8. The Elephant Man

I’ve posted this before but… I had a cousin who came into the record store where I worked and he bought a few albums. The following week he brought the albums back and wanted to exchange them for other albums. I told him that we only can do exhanges if the records are sealed. He said ok and left. The next week he brought the original records back and they were sealed. Turns out he went and bought a shrink wrap machine.
    ughhhh.

CWillman, Tjazz, Dignan2000 and 2 others like this.
  9. Jspmike

Jspmike Forum Resident

Thought I'd give everybody here a heads-up. I've done a bit of research and I think that the following are albums that are going to be added to the Barnes & Noble sale on the 26th -

For the Throne - Music Inspired by Game Of Thrones
    Weezer - Black Album
    Thom Yorke - Suspiria
    Elvis Presley - Good Times
    Sleater Kinney - The Center Wont Hold
    Jesus & Mary Chain - 21 Singles
    Coldplay - Live in Buenos Aires/Live in Sao Paulo/A Head Full Of Dreams
    Robbie Robertson - Sinematic
    U2 - No Line On The Horizon
    Flying Lotus - Flamagra
    Prince - Rave UN2 The Joy Fantastic
    Van Morrison - The Healing Game
    Esperanza Spalding - 12 Little Spills
    Best Coast - Always tomorrow
    Suzanne Vega - Lover Beloved
    Barry Gibb - In The Now
    Joan Baez - Joan Baez
    Silversun Pickups - Widow’s Weeds
    Tegan & Sara - Hey, I’m Just Like You
    Of Monsters & Men - Fever Dream
    M83 - DSVII
    Robert Randolph - Brighter Days
    John Hiatt - Eclipse Sessions
    Jessica Pratt - Quiet Signs
    Shovels & Rope - By Blood
    Steve Perry - Traces
    Utopia - The Complete Bearsville Singles
    M Ward - Migration Stories
    Garth Brooks - First Five Years (CD)
    Patty Griffin - Patty Griffin
    LCD Soundsystem - Electric Lady Sessions
    David Byrne - Grown Backwards
    Ingrid Michaelson - Stranger Songs
    Mark Knopfler - Down The Road Wherever
    Santana - In Search Of Mona Lisa
    Jenny Lewis - On The Line
    Steve Perry - Traces (on maroon vinyl this time!)
    Ben Webster - Horn
    Glen Hansard - This Wild Willing
    David Bowie - Never Let Me Down
    Rodrigo y Gabriela - Mettavolution
    Stephen Malkmus - Groove Denied
    Death Cab For Cutie - The Blue EP
    Mark Ronson - Late Night Feelings
    David Bowie - Tonight
    Phantogram - Ceremony
    Bob Dylan - Infidels
    Bob Dylan - Pat Garrett & Billy The Kid Soundtrack
    Lukas Graham - 3
    Bob Dylan - Planet Waves
    Bob Dylan - Street Legal
    Backstreet Boys - DNA
    Taylor Hawkins & the Coattail Riders - Get The Money

Thinking of getting Best Coast, Prince and Jesus & Mary Chain. Also considering getting Robbie Robertson - only got okay reviews from what I've seen but I'm liking what I've heard so far.

10. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

Thank you for sharing! That Best Coast album you listed is a winner. I picked this up earlier this year and it led me down a rabbit hole to get a couple more of their albums.

hutlock and Jspmike like this.
  11. Jspmike

Jspmike Forum Resident

I have all their other albums on vinyl and do own the CD. I stupidly thought I'd already bought it when I saw them in concert so didn't pick it up when it was in Deep Discount's Blowout Bin for an insane price! They really are a great band! It shall be mine!!!

hutlock and SJP like this.
  12. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

Mark Knopfler - Down the Road Wherever ? Box set? 3LP/CD $100 list or 2LP $35 list? or both?

13. Jspmike

Jspmike Forum Resident

I believe it's the 2LP version. Didn't really notice any box set additions althoigh don't quote me on that...

14. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

No Line On The Horizon is a no brainer,
    especially if it's the clear vinyl. Sounds fantastic.

Jspmike, dee and SJP like this.
  15. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

^^^ I suspect it is the black vinyl that is still circulating in the stores.

Armed with the current 25% off coupon, I scouted a local B&N store this morning. Grabbed the new Nick Cave "Idiot Prayer" 2LP as it would not be part of the upcoming sale. Mentioned vinyl sale to the guys working in the music area and they had no idea about it. Makes sense, they didn't have a clue last year on the 26th of December either. Nothing was stickered that early but it still rung up at half off.

hutlock, Jspmike and dee like this.
  16. I picked up the Elvis Today LP last year, sounds nice although I haven’t compared it to an original RCA.

Jspmike likes this.
  17. dee

dee Senior Member

LOL The Healing Game vinyl isna xmas gift from elsewhere. At least it didn't cost much. Also juat bought the U2 record in the Classifieds. Clear vinyl though and good price. Funny coincidence.

That Robbie Robertson album is kind of tempting also. Thats a 2 LP iirc. Not sure I have that on cd. Also Bynre's Grown Backwards - missed that one on vinyl and with bonus tracks.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2020
    Jspmike likes this.
  18. Vinyljunkie22

With Spotify and Youtube there is no excuse to do that today. I don't really subscribe to the whole Digital vs Analog battle. To me it's the best of both worlds. I prefer vinyl but I also like Spotify because you can't listen to vinyl in the car or on the go and also I use it to preview albums before I buy them on vinyl. Sometimes I'm just too lazy to get up and put on a record or just want to listen to one song on repeat. Spotify has also helped me discover a lot of new songs and bands I never would have found otherwise. We really live in a great era for music where it's all out there and available in whatever format you prefer.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2020
  19. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident

Thanks, Mike! There are several on that list that would be of interest.

Shawn, Jspmike and dee like this.
  20. dee

dee Senior Member

How to find the list of all the sales titles online, thru the B&N online site? I'm in for Grown Backwards and maybe Sinematic. Kind of a wasted trip maybe for just 1 title so would like to add a few more. Would have been in for Healing Game and No Line as well but they're under a xmas tree somewhere or in the mail.

Jspmike likes this.
  21. Jspmike

Jspmike Forum Resident

I'm hoping that they put up a list online by tomorrow like they did for the Summer sale. Nothing up as yet that I can see.

dee and hutlock like this.
  22. Tjazz

How long will the 50% off sale last? Starts 12/26 till ?

Jspmike likes this.
  23. Jspmike

Jspmike Forum Resident

It lasts for about a month. I will try and remember to check tomorrow and get back to you...

dee, Shawn and Tjazz like this.
  24. Tjazz

Was hopping to see some B&N exclusive color vinyl for 50% off.

Willie Nelson, Cher, Doors

Last edited: Dec 25, 2020
    Jspmike likes this.
  25. atlantasteven

atlantasteven Mercy Mercy Me

Only vinyl? No cd, dvd, blu-Ray or 4k at 50% off?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.