Barnes & Noble in-store Bl. Fri. music deals?

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by Black Elk, Nov 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DLD

DLD Senior Member

Yes, I did that. I took a long list of items forum members said their stores had at a discount that our Dallas area stores didn't have in stock to a customer service Kiosk at one of our local stores. Nice lady spent 15 minutes with me checking on titles. Out of the 15 or so albums, I found 2 that either weren't out of stock or their system said were not discounted. Picked em up last week. Total bought, so far, 25. Most likely done. And couldn't be happier

2. dee

dee Senior Member

3. Collapsed Lung

Collapsed Lung Forum Resident

...I popped into the B&N down on Warren Street in Lower Manhattan on Sunday. Still a lot of discounted inventory there, including the Rhino mono Love debut and the 2LP+7" edition of McCartney's "Pipes of Piece." Of all the Manhattan stores, it seemed the least picked-over...

superstar19 likes this.
  4. RubenH

RubenH Forum Resident

It seems that whether or not something is 50% off varies by store, even within the same geographic area; in other words, there is no one "master list" for all of BN.

5. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Yes. This has been mentioned multiple times in this thread. Not sure where the confusion came from...

davers likes this.
  6. Jspmike

Jspmike Forum Resident

These are my purchases over the last few days from the sale -

New Order - Movement
    Nina Simone - My baby just cares for me (Jazz Images)
    Depeche Mode - Violator
    Depeche Mode - Speak & Spell
    Bauhaus - Crackle
    Cure - Mixed Up
    Smiths - Meat Is Murder
    Replacements - Let It Be
    Replacements - Tim

There's still some great vinyl out there in the sale!

davers, Kym, dee and 4 others like this.
  7. dee

dee Senior Member

Nice.

I got the Let It Be disc.
    Saw Cure Mixed Up I think in the bins.
    Don't recall seeing the others around.

Thought The Who Live at Leeds 3LP deluxe was on sale. The warehouse got more stock in but a store checked for me and they said it wasn't 50% off. Boo hoo on them. They have some unenthusiastic customer service at that store lol. I've done in-person LP orders elsewhere. The aforementioned store wouldn't even mail the record to home address, only store. I don't like them lol. Customer Service much better at a store in a location with a more demanding clientele. Funny how that works lol.

Will hit 2 stores tomorrow in the area and call it a month for now. It appeared to me the local used record shop was selling the B&N Rush titles and some of their other titles, like Bowie's Heathen clear vinyl, as new, for full price.

If there isn't a 'master list' it would SEEM to me to suggest there is a relevant list of common 50% titles, the same titles, at many, many stores. Their availability for the sale at each participating store may thus be dictated by when they last sold a copy or how many of said title they sold. I don't know. It IS disappointing to find or try to order a title that is posted as being on sale in this thread, but then not at or in local store or computer. It is what it is. Still, there are dozens and dozens and dozens of the same sales titles at the 7 stores I've regularly browsed and bought at and 'special ordered' through.

Mike has a nice inroad with the store computer :);)
    Reminds me when workimg at Ticketmaster. Worked on the up and up, but access and more access to it whenever, was a huge benefit.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
    Tjazz and Jspmike like this.
  8. BigDave

BigDave Forum Resident

I'm in Ohio for work this week and stopped by two stores that weren't too far away from my hotel to grab a couple I hadn't seen before

Roberta Flack: Killing Me Softly
    Randy Newman Little Criminals (saw this one at both stores)
    The Time: Ice Cream Castle
    Various Artists: The Matrix

There were definitely other titles I had never seen at the ten or so Illinois stores I visited previously. but both also seemed a little bit picked over.

Jspmike likes this.
  9. hutlock

May I ask where in Ohio? I’m here permanently and I’m wondering if you went to the one in my area I haven’t hit yet... thanks!

10. statcat

statcat Forum Resident

were there multiple copies of Love or just one? I've been trying to find it for awhile. Everything I bought (Big Star, Nuggets, Zodiac, Faces) in upper west and east side Manhattan stores there was only one copy of.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
  11. Jspmike

Jspmike Forum Resident

dee likes this.
  12. Collapsed Lung

Collapsed Lung Forum Resident

There was just one copy of the Love -- I didn't buy it (was tempted, but I got more than enough waiting to be listened to at home)...it was there two weeks ago when I went last, so it looks like their regular customers are not Arthur Lee fans. So it very well may still be there!

13. BigDave

BigDave Forum Resident

Columbus, around Westerville.

The first one was on Polaris and the second was by Easton

14. hutlock

Ah, thanks. I’m in Cleveland, so there’s still hope I guess!

BigDave likes this.
  15. dee

dee Senior Member

Will the 25% be on those same titles that are at 50% off or is it possible the 25% is a different sale of vinyl inventory? 25% off with B&N regular prices won't amount to much of a savings even but you might be surprised how much the local shops themselves charge for new vinyl. $19.99 is a bargain. I see $21.99 and higher as a standard rate. I did chance upon a sealed and assumed new 2LP blue vinyl remaster of the Television debut for $16.99. I thought to myself that had to be a misprice and went back to buy it the next day.

16. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

I've hit both of those stores numerous times (Both have 50% mixed in with regular) and nothing new has been added. I believe the local manager has a say on adding titles to the 50% racks. Some stores have certain titles at 50% while others don't. If you are into soundtracks (especially Cabaret), cigarette head lady, Diana Krall, U2 POP, Jayhawks...plenty remain in Columbus

BigDave likes this.
  17. BigDave

BigDave Forum Resident

I've been to the Polaris one a bunch over the last couple years as it is right by the hotel I usually stay at. They always seems to have some titles I never/rarely see at other B&N locations.

18. Jspmike

Jspmike Forum Resident

Just read more details on the sale. The 50% off sale finishes this Sunday night. The vinyl which has been in that sale will then change to only being 25% off.

dee and Shawn like this.
  19. Are there plans to downsize the vinyl departments? These sales are certainly putting a dent in the inventory.

20. Rentz

Rentz Forum Resident

guess i better scrounge around again and see if i missed anything, last time i checked the place was picked clean
    maybe they can order me some rush if its not all gone

dee likes this.
  21. hutlock

I thought It was initially announced that the change from 50% to 25% happened NEXT Sunday on Feb 9.

@Jspmike can you confirm the date for us? Thanks!

dee likes this.
  22. Jspmike

Jspmike Forum Resident

Having read the details it is going to finish on 2nd February - this Sunday night.

black sheriff, dee and Bloom like this.
  23. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

Some of those records would not go at 90% off

24. BigDave

BigDave Forum Resident

Yeah that seems weird that here is a bunch of records that we couldn't even sell at 50%, let's now make them only 25% off instead so they can sit forever.

Not to mention they will have to go through and re-sticker everything that had the 50% sticker on it.

I believe on the regular clearance items they usually go to 75% then finally to $2 (regardless of original price). Seems to be a much more effective strategy to clear out the stock.

Jspmike, dee, Davidmk5 and 2 others like this.
  25. hutlock

Agreed. There are PLENTY of records I saw that I would happily pay $2 for.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.