Barnes & Noble in-store Bl. Fri. music deals?

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by Black Elk, Nov 30, 2019.

1. I was just at my local B&N and can confirm it’s the B&N exclusive edition. And I purchased it ;) Along with Brian Wilson’s No Pier Pressure and Springsteen’s Devils & Dust (both also at 50% off). The Springsteen is a bit of a blind buy but for the price it’s worth the risk.

DLD and Jspmike like this.
  2. DLD

DLD Senior Member

Stopped by one of their Plano (Dallas burb) locations, nothing on sale, 11:00 a.m. this (Friday) morning.

Jspmike likes this.
  3. breakingglass

breakingglass Forum Resident

My Atlanta Buckhead B&N had a small segregated selection marked at 50% off, maybe 50 records. Nothing of interest to me.

Jspmike likes this.
  4. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Avatar Of Aspersions

No Line On The Horizon is a no brainer if your store has a copy left. I bought the clear vinyl two years ago...I imagine the black vinyl is good also.

Thesmellofvinyl and SJP like this.
  5. Jspmike

Jspmike Forum Resident

I think it may be the clear vinyl that we have in the store - not the black vinyl unfortunately. I will see if the black vinyl is available when I get to work...

6. hyde park

hyde park Forum Resident

My clear copy of No Line on the Horizon sounds great.

Jspmike likes this.
  7. black sheriff

black sheriff Magic City

Drove over to my local B&N last night. I picked up a couple of records that I had put back last time. Music section looked the same as the prior 50% sale, minus a few more titles. The racks are getting pretty empty. I also grabbed the latest issue of Songlines magazine on the way out. Great mag if you like World music.
    [​IMG]

Tjazz, Shawn and Jspmike like this.
  8. rogertheshrubber

rogertheshrubber Forum Resident

Wow - two discs that I definitely would've grabbed, really like that Gregg Allman. Nothing at all worthwhile in my local NJ store - usual recent Springsteen LPs

black sheriff likes this.
  9. U2Achtung1

U2Achtung1 Well-Known Member

Has anyone picked up Wonderful Wonderful by The Killers?

Curious how the pressing sounds. It's included in the sale.

10. Thesmellofvinyl

Thesmellofvinyl Forum Resident

Neil Young’s Return to Greendale was not half off at my local store but Colorado was.

Thanks to Jspmike!

Jspmike and black sheriff like this.
  11. Jspmike

Jspmike Forum Resident

That's really strange that they did not have "Return To Greendale" at 50% off. I checked that one myself been as it's a box set. I don't think it's sold just yet- it looks like a nice set.

12. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

I picked this up online over a year ago for about $8.00. No red flags noted upon first listen but it is by far not the first Killers I go to when reaching for one of their albums to listen to.

Here is what I picked up in the sale. Nothing that wasn't there previously but for $12+ per album, these were worthwhile to me.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 15, 2021
  13. Thesmellofvinyl

Thesmellofvinyl Forum Resident

Hm, the one I saw was an LP set but not a box set. I noticed the CDs were 30% off and thought about asking them to mark down the Young Shakespeare box set; had to control myself, though.

Jspmike likes this.
  14. Jspmike

Jspmike Forum Resident

The "Return To Greendale" set that I marked down is the one which contains 2 cd's, 2 records, 1 blu-ray and a DVD. It's was $99.99 but in the sale I marked it down to $49.99. I will triple check when I go to work tomorrow (I'd double checked it the other day!).

As regards to the CD sale they seem to have been recently classing CD sets that contain one vinyl record in them as "vinyl" in the computer system to avoid offering them in the CD sale. I'd been hoping to get Stone Temple Pilots "Tiny Music" set in the sale but unfortunately it was not included. I will wait for the next coupon...

Davidmk5, davers and Thesmellofvinyl like this.
  15. @Jspmike have you heard of any plans in the downsizing of the B&N vinyl offerings in-store? Of the B&N stores I visit it seems the stock has been going down and not replenished much. One store I go to is relocating and a manager told me that the store’s selection of merchandise would remain the same except for the vinyl which is being substantially downsized (the move to the new location is happening so as to conform to the new B&N layout/design).

black sheriff and Jspmike like this.
  16. Jspmike

Jspmike Forum Resident

I have fortunately not heard anything about the vinyl being downsized (and fingers crossed it won't be). It's a good seller in our store although anything that I bring into the store needs to sell as unlike CD's and DVD's we cannot return vinyl. Unless a manager is really on top of their game or an employee is really dedicated then I sometimes wonder if the music department is just an afterthought. The reason why my store is well stocked is because I'm constantly shortlisting throughout my shifts. With demand being so high, pressing factory's running behind, global pandemic etc... it has been a lot more difficult to get everything we want into the store. For example, we've been out of stock of Nirvana's "Nevermind" for the last several months (as soon as I spot that back in the warehouse I'm going to get a load in!). I'm hoping that it is these issues that are affecting stock levels rather than a decision to downsize.

17. Radical347

Radical347 Well-Known Member

I hit up 3 Barnes & Noble yesterday and picked these up, all 16 @ 50% off came to $240 including tax. (Some have a 25% off sticker, but were 50% off because one of the stores had a sign that said "all records marked as 25% off are 50% off from 8/13-8/16")

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Shawn, Davidmk5, superstar19 and 3 others like this.
  18. U2Achtung1

Anyone see anything about when this ends?

And has anyone picked up Memphis Rock and Soul by Melissa Etheridge? I'd buy Medicine Show, though it didn't have a sticker at mine.

19. Jspmike

Jspmike Forum Resident

Going from memory I think it finishes on September 6th (the albums will then go to 25% off). I'd get somebody in the store to double check the price on "Medicine Show". The Barnes & Noble Exclusive version is definitely part of the sale in my store.

Shawn likes this.
  20. Jspmike

Jspmike Forum Resident

I was able to order the following albums back into my store so they are still available in the 50% off sale -

The Cars - Heartbeat City
    The Cars - Panorama
    The Black Crowes - The Southern Harmony And Musical Companion
    Led Zeppelin - Coda
    John Mellencamp - Scarecrow
    John Mellencamp - The Lonesome Jubilee
    Love - Love (Music On Vinyl version)

21. U2Achtung1

Picked up:

U2 - Best of 1990-2000
    Pearl Jam - Yield
    Roxette - Look Sharp! (Barnes Exclusive)
    Melissa Etheridge - The Medicine Show (Barnes Exclusive)
    Tanya Tucker - While I'm Livin' (Barnes Exclusive)
    Of Monsters & Men - Fever Dream

22. Radical347

Radical347 Well-Known Member

I picked this up during the sale. Tbh, I (unfortunately) find the sound quality on this one pretty bad.

Jspmike likes this.