Barnes & Noble sales

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by Jspmike, Jun 30, 2022.

1. Jspmike

Jspmike Forum Resident Thread Starter

I really like Barnes & Noble and hope they succeed but some of their decisions (like this one, as well as significantly reducing stock in its sores) baffle me. Mike, I vote to put you in charge![/QUOTE]

That's funny! Whilst there have been a few battles i have been very fortunate at the store i work at (Clackamas, Oregon) as I've been allowed to have a very large say in the vinyl/Criterion/Arrow video titles that we carry at our location (thanks to the support of the customers). I think that's where my control begins and ends!!!

davers, Thesmellofvinyl and Shawn like this.
  2. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

My membership expired in January but I recall going on line to turn off automatic renewal. This is because the local store closed for five months due to a relocation to another nearby location, but it seems like a wise decision in retrospect.

Thesmellofvinyl likes this.
  3. Thesmellofvinyl

Thesmellofvinyl Senior Member

Now they’re offering the Hey Clockface LP for $11.

Elvis Costello Hey Clockface on DeepDiscount

4. Jspmike

The criterion 50% off sale is back at Barnes and Noble. It starts Friday 30th June and runs until Friday 28th July. I've spent the entire work day getting ready at my store in Clackamas, Oregon and I'm spent! I don't even have the energy to go and clean and listen to the Stones "Goats Head Soup" which arrived today from the SOV sale! I should mention that like the last few years the membership dues not stack on top of the 50% off sale. However I'm assured by my managers that the new rewards program does work in conjunction with the sale. With the rewards program you get a stamp for every $10 you spend. When you get ten stamps you get a $5 reward. It's a free program so worth it if you intend shopping the sale (or buying anything else for that matter). From time to time they also do double stamps for reward holders and triple stamps for Premium members although that won't be happening in the next 23 hours. Anybody who needs any help let me know.

5. theycallmemitch

theycallmemitch Forum Resident

I noticed the one closest to me doesn't really have a movie section that I notice any more but I did go yesterday briefly and saw a display of recent Criterions in the small area where the vinyls are. So unless I'm missing where they moved the section to, it's a lot less than it used to be.

Jspmike likes this.
  6. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

When I was looking online last night I noticed several titles are in stock at our neighborhood store.
    Unfortunately, I've pretty much renounced physical media for video.
    Figures. Where I lived before I was buying Blu rays hand over fist w/o a B & N nearby, so it was all online sales.
    Now I live about a mile from a beautiful ( at least from the outside ) B & N, and between hundreds of DVDs and Blu rays I never reach for, on top of a Roku stick filled w/ streaming channels with nearly all the content I have on physical discs here, I'd have to be touched in the head to buy any more.
    Yet there I was last night scrolling through the Criterions on the site.
    :shrug:

7. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

Did you get Two Lane Blacktop?
    Been looking at that one for a while.

8. Myke

On Criterion DVD about a thousand years ago, yes. My first avatar here in 2010 !

9. masterbucket

Worth buying or maybe too dated now?
    Anywhere to stream it?

10. Myke

Will never be dated.
    Dennis Wilson + James Taylor + Warren Oates + a '55 Chevy !!!!
    Not streaming on any channel the Roku offers which helps me to feel better about having it as physical media !!!
    Think I'll pull it and watch it again.
    I highly recommend it .

Review : Two-Lane Blacktop Blu-ray

AND I SEE AMAZON IS MATCHING THE 50% OFF TOO !!!!!

Shawn and masterbucket like this.
  11. Myke

The two I'm tempted by are

One False Move w/Billy Bob Thornton ( own the DVD )
    Malcolm X (own the 2012 Blu ray) also price matched by Amazon at 50% off

Jspmike likes this.
  12. Suedebelly

Suedebelly Forum Resident

It feels like old Harry Smith needs to transform himself into a dog in order to partake in this conversation. :agree:

nedison and Jspmike like this.
  13. theycallmemitch

theycallmemitch Forum Resident

No idea about the quality but Roku shows it on a couple of apps I've not heard of in SD. I'm guessing it's a public domain or poor print. Roku

I also found it on FB, looks to be good quality maybe ripped from the Criterion Blu Ray. Two Lane Blacktop | Two Lane Blacktop - July 7, 1971 In this cult favorite road film, a mechanic (Dennis Wilson) and a driver (James Taylor) live only to race and maintain... | By Mike's Auto Sales & Parts | Facebook

Shawn and masterbucket like this.
  14. masterbucket

Good deal......I will pick it up.
    I watched Vanishing Point last week on some obscure streaming channel on roku......another good one.

Myke likes this.
  15. Myke

Started with the DVD, then the Blu ray when it came out.
    My son came home with a 2011 Challenger a few years back.

hutlock and masterbucket like this.
  16. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Oh man, I don’t want to encourage you to spend money but One False Move is one of my all-time favorites. Watched it again about 3-4 months ago and the tension is still there all these years later.

Jspmike likes this.
  17. Myke

@masterbucket - Turns out I have the 2 DVD DE with a screenplay paperback included. 2015 release.

18. Myke

I just pulled the DVD. I remember buying ALL of Billy Bob's films a long time ago.

Amazon says June 20, 2008.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2023
    hutlock likes this.
  19. Interestingly, we can order Criterion pre-orders at the sale price on the B&N web site, so I put in an order for The Ranown Westerns: Five Films Directed by Budd Boetticher and After Hours. Also, by checking a box on the checkout page I was able to enroll in the free rewards program. Super easy.

hutlock and Jspmike like this.
  20. Jspmike

The free rewards program is doing double stamps starting today until the 14th. Great way to earn for future purchases if you are purchasing a lot of items.

Shawn and hutlock like this.
  21. Myke

Decided to take the more diplomatic approach ( still better than the buy-buy-buy !!! days of old ).

Malcolm X - bought the 2012 BD 8 years ago for $9.99. Digibook so I won't sell it. May upgrade, haven't decided.

One False Move - DVD bought in 2008. Plan to rewatch before deciding to upgrade or not ( Blu-ray.com LOVES it ! )

A Poem Is A Naked Person - have never owned, but plan to rent for $4.14 before deciding to buy Criterion or not. 4.5/5.0 rating. I've really gotten back into Leon lately, so...

Jspmike likes this.
  22. Leviathan

Leviathan Forum Resident

Can you use the stamp $5 rewards on Criterions? Also can you use multiple rewards on a single purchase? (i.e. earning 20 stamps gets you $10 in rewards?)

Jspmike likes this.
  23. Jspmike

Yes, you can use the $5 stamps on Criterions and you can use multiple rewards on a single purchase. I had a customer use a $40 reward on a $41 record - he only had to pay $1! Once you sign up for a rewards card you will receive an email from Barnes and Noble. Make sure you go into the email and confirm your account so you can then spend the rewards when you receive them.

Shawn and Leviathan like this.
  24. davers

davers Forum Resident

Good info as always Jspmike! I picked up a couple Criterions and the Arrow Waterworld 4k this week so my first reward notice has popped up.

On a related note do you know if there will also be an Arrow video sale this month (July 2023)?

Jspmike likes this.
  25. Jspmike

I believe there will be but I have not yet been given an official date. This is a guess but it may occur in just over a weeks time - I'll keep you posted

Shawn and davers like this.