Barney Miller DVD SET

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by the pope ondine, Dec 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident Thread Starter

I went on a Barney Miller binge (I had dvr'd a ton and forgot about them) it might be one of my favorite shows ever. the cast (as well all know) but also supporting actors are almost all fantastic. and the writing is hilarious but also touching a lot of the time.

question: does anyone own the shout box set? worth it? any commentaries? I have a bunch on dvd-r from back in the day but quality is pretty rough, thanks

Keith V, melstapler and bmasters9 like this.
  2. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

3. the pope ondine

looks good....I got some xmas money....might have to splurge!

[​IMG]

melstapler and Myke like this.
  4. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Just checked Amazon, Bull Moose, Import CDs, and Deep Discount. Same $105 or so, everywhere. Well worth it.

My 2011 preorder cost me $97.99 inc. shipping. Consistent.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
  5. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

I bought a copy from an eBay seller in China for $32 shipped. It's the real deal, just took a few weeks to get here.

MikaelaArsenault and Myke like this.
  6. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

Mine came with a bunch of Fish episodes as well.

melstapler likes this.
  7. the pope ondine

I see them, thanks!

8. Gramps Tom

Gramps Tom Forum Resident

I scored one about a year ago, and watched every episode of the Barney Miller show. Haven't watched the Fish season that's included.

It's worth the $100 or so. Don't remember what I pd for it, but mine was brand new, and somewhat less expensive.

On a similar note, about the same time, I bought the WKRP complete series at my local Half Price Books. Similar vintage, and was also worth it.

the pope ondine likes this.
  9. the pope ondine

i don't think youre missing much with Fish, too much of a good thing....

10. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

The absolute coolest theme song. Reminiscent of Steely Dan.

dlokazip likes this.
  11. Third Walt

Third Walt Forum Resident

Over the past couple of years I bought a few assorted Shout! Factory TV DVD sets from sellers on ebay that at prices that I thought were too good to be true. I later on found out they were bootlegs. The real Shout! Factory discs will be dual layered and Region 1 only. The bootlegs are single layered and Region coded 1-8 (single layered = worse picture quality). I eventually replaced all of these with genuine editions from either Amazon (not 3rd party sellers, I got a bootleg from one of them also), or legit dealer blowitouttahere! on ebay when I caught them on sale - higher prices than the bootlegs but not too bad. The packaging on the bootlegs is incredible, they look exactly like the real thing. Hard to believe they could be produced at a cost that could generate a profit at the prices they sell for.

Shawn and Jerry Horne like this.
  12. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

No, but he is missing a lot with that WKRP set :angel:

Myke likes this.
  13. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

Got the box for Christmas one year. It's worth it. All the episodes. Interviews. Commentaries. The original pilot (which is bizarre, to say the least).

I agree about the Fish episodes. That show never really connected with me.

This month, I've been working my way through Season Four again.

bmasters9 and Myke like this.
  14. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

I scanned the UPC and it's the one listed on Amazon, it is region 1 only, the discs are not DVD-Rs, it was the complete booklet too. This seems like the real deal to me, and if it's not it's a really good imitation.

I bought from a seller name "tvmovies " who seems to not be selling them any more.

melstapler likes this.
  15. bmasters9

bmasters9 Forum Resident

I have it too, and Fish has been very much untouched-- that is the only thing standing between me and full completion, and will have to be (albeit I've long finished the main event of Barney Miller).

melstapler and dlokazip like this.
  16. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

Wonderful show. I’ve been re-watching it lately and I had forgotten how great it really is.

Myke likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.