Basic Pre-amp & amp question from a (semi novice) integrated amp owner

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Garthb, Nov 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Garthb

Garthb Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have an integrated tube SET amp, and am considering buying a vintage Mcintosh tube amp, but I do not understand how the pre and the amps work. The purpose is to play vinyl and some CD's with my vintage Klipsch Belles.

Question: If I get a Mcintosh MC225 amp, what do I need for a preamp? Can I get an inexpensive preamp (with just a volume control), or do I need a quality preamp like the Mcintosh MX-110z?

Thanks for any help!

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
  2. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

If the SET integrated amp has a pre out/main in connection, then you can use any compatible preamp and plug its output into the SET’s main in or amp in or however it’s labeled.

Glmoneydawg likes this.
  3. Garthb

Ok, I read the specs and the Whammerdyne amp allows for a preamp, so question #1 answered, thank you!

4. Scott in DC

Scott in DC Forum Resident

How well does your SET integrated drive your Belles? What is prompting you to seek out a amp/pre combination?

Scott

5. Garthb

Scott, great question, my SET amp drives really well- clean, solid mid and highs, and the velodyne sub adds great bass. I would love more "airy" and "3D" soundstage, (perhaps the warm glow I associate with the Mcintosh sound that I've only heard a few times?)

6. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

As for question #2, never scrimp on a preamp. It’s the collection and distribution point for all your sources. The delicate line-level signals have to be treated with great care in order to preserve their integrity and fidelity.

If you’re going to moderate the budget for a preamp, consider a passive preamp.

Garthb likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.