Basic Surround Sound System For MOVIES

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Khorn, Feb 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian Thread Starter

I am interested in opinons about a basic 2K-3K surround sound system for movies only. I already have a Tosh SD4800 DVD player for the source so I would need the receiver/amplifiers/decoders ?? and of course the speaker system including the subwoofer.

Music is not a consideration in this case as I already have a decent 2 channel system for that purpose.

Any suggestions based on personal experience would be appreciated.

Thx

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

The way I do it is kinda wacky (see my profile) but what route are you thinking of going? Seperate amps and a pre that controlls all in an A/V situation, or a receiver that does everything in one package?

Remember, there are possibilities for more home theatre sound formats. DTS may be replaced with a new version of Dolby Digital soon. Be prepared to change, if need be. :)

I like my setup for what it is: Seperate amps that are interchangeable and upgradeable. If an amp doesn't do it for me, or an idea becomes something I want to do, in a Pre/Amp/Amp/Amp situation, it's easier to make changes without mass insanity.

3. Khorn

I think that I would go the all-in-one receiver route. I am not that critical when it comes to the surround aspects of movies. In my present situation I feed the 2 channel DVD movie tracks to my pre and through my present audio system as my TV is in the same room. I probably will be moving soon and, there is a good chance I might set up one room for TV only so I might as well go surround at that point.

4. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

The easiest thing is to buy a good A/V Reciever such as a Denon or Yamaha for around $600 to $1K and use the rest of the budget on a Speaker package w/subfrom companies like Energy or Cambridge Soundworks. This a growing field so their are many choices.

Back when I assembled my system their were no Speaker systems, so mine is a hodgepodge of different brands.

In an average room this combo would work great. With movie soundtracks your not looking for that extreme fidelity you crave with a dedicated 2 channel system.

Today's A/V Recievers are excellent buys.

5. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

For movies only I'd save your money by going integrated.

I was at a local Audio King this weekend and saw a Denon 3802 demo unit on clearance for around $800US. Denon has a new line of 3803's so they were clearing out the old 02's.

I don't know if something like this would be upgradeable for future formats though.

6. SVL

SVL Forum Resident

Energy could be the way to go for movies. I have their Take 5 package with the 10-inch sub, and it is quite competent for most movie material. Not nearly as good for music - rather pathetic, actually.

For movie use only, a moderate cost DVD player with progressive scan capability may be a good idea. Toshiba, Pioneer and Sony all make them these days.

7. I would also recommend the all in one package for the power source and sound field processor. If you are lucky you will find some excellent "out of date" receivers for this. An example is the Yamaha RXV1, it has been superceeded by the new RXZ1 but is still on some store shelves. I saw one at my local Audio King about three weeks ago, inquired, and the salesman immediatly went to $1000. This means if pressed you could get it for less. It was a demo but was in excellent shape and had all the parts, box, remote, and so on. If you can't find a new "old" unit, try used. I know you are aware of the deals available in used equipment. Some of the lesser HT receivers are also very good. Having less features, and usually less overall amp quality, they still provide great HT watching. In any event, with a little searching, you should be able to meet your dollar goal and still have a very nice system. Good luck.

8. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

9. Sckott

Khorn,

Is true surround sound very important to you? If so, I would go for something new on the Onkyo line. Make sure it will do DD, DTS and the older matrixed Dolby Surround. Get a powered sub with a simple RCA lead in, crossover and it's own volume knob.

Many have said the new Dennons are good, but their last line wasn't that impressive to me. What dissapointed me was the control and ease of use.

See, many of the movies made with DD don't have a lot of info for the back speakers, but the sub, center and front speakers are important.
    However, if you wish to do DTS, which I think it's NEATO, I'd look into getting speakers for the back that don't dwarf behind the front and center speakers in build......

10. Khorn

I think a modest all in one package speaker system may be the way to go. I don't want to start "climbing the ladder" on this one. It's like when you decide to buy a second sound system for a small room (kitchen or something) and you first start looking at small potable sound systems a step above a boombox and end up wanting a British integrated amp, a pair of LS3/5a's and a 1K cd player. I have that weakness so in this case I want to really keep it modest as there is no reason not to. I don't want to start feeling I need some EAD surround components and a whole M&K speaker system.

11. Sckott

Nah, it's OK to go light. Besides, you have to be happy in experience in this 1st level.

But you don't want to go to BB and buy speakers, right? No JVC and Panasonic speakers, right? Well, you know what you should do, and the budget.

I'll give you a pointer though! Don't forget the center channel. ;) It's a good thing.

12. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

If you get a discontinued AV receiver, make SURE it will do Dolby Pro Logic II. This is an essential feature. Lots of movies out there have mono surround mixes that DPL II will really liven up.

I love my Denon 3802. The manual's not very well-written, but after a little practice it's not hard to operate, and it's very flexible. Sounds great, with music too. 800.00 is a good price.

You really should buy all your speakers at once. Timbre matching is crucial for a good surround effect. Ideally you'd have six full-range speakers all around: left, center, right, left rear, center rear, right rear. Most mortals end up with a subwoofer in the front and matched speakers all around, however.

13. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Try popping into Audio Excellence on Bayview. Or call first. I think they'd be able to help you out.

JM Lab speakers are 1/2 decent and they had some sets (surround) the last time I was there.

14. Khorn

Tnx I'll check 'em out next time I'm up there browsing the SACDs.

And hey man, You're messin' me head with that avatar of yours. OUCH!! my eyes hurt!!! :eek: :eek:

15. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

The SACDs? MY SACDs!?! :mad:

Hey, man, knock it off! Stay away! ;)

Actually he was expecting another shipment that he got from CES soon... I should visit to see whats new!

I wonder what the Living Stereo SACDs sound like.

Anyway, good luck with the HT set up!

My avatar is "all dolled up" - what's wrong with that? :cool:

16. Khorn

"What's wrong with that?" he asks! For heavens sake LOOK AT IT!

Hell, if you stare at that thing for too long forget about "saving the Nauga" 'cause "the Nauga will have to save you"!! :D :D :D

17. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

I use my existing minisystem, mixer and digital cable box (along with the other video components, of course) with excellent results.

18. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

I'm debating getting a Pioneer Elite receiver: VSX-43TX. Later this year, most likely. Lists for $1200, but I see some selling on eBay for around $720-$750 after shipping. I like the fact that it has preamp outputs for all channels, which allows me to use different power amps if I want to. It has a fair number of a/v inputs, almost enough for what I need.

Thing is, I want to have all of my 2-channel audio AND the home theater in one system. When I move, I'm going to have a basement system, but it won't be for critical listening. The one upstairs in the living room will need to do it all. I have yet to find a receiver or preamp that has two phono inputs and at least six tape monitor loops. ;)

I'm considering using a preamp in parallel with the left/right outputs of the receiver. It doesn't take anything for me to make up a switch box, where I can send my audio-only system to the main power amp one moment, then switch it to use the receiver. If I should ever want to listen to multichannel audio (I have a couple of Dolby Pro-Logic CDs), my preamp has two outputs, so I could feed that output to the Aux input on the receiver.

I'm going to be building my own subwoofers...I plan on having at least two of them. :D (Mr. Moe Bass at your service!) For the speakers, I have enough Boston Acoustics laying around that it will not be a problem having a matched system.

19. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

A DJ mixer will suit you just fine for the same purpose and if you go on the Site Seeing Section of this site, there is a link to NorthernLightFX and we will be able to sell you one for about $300 new.

20. Henry Love

Henry Love Senior Member

Another vote for Denon here.I love mine.If you do go the Denon route make sure it's an authourized dealer or you don't have a warranty.Check their website.I've got Definitive Technology speakers,very good for HT.You can get them with or without built in subwoofers.Definitely worth a listen. Check out Audioreview.com for lots of user reviews.Happy hunting.

21. seasideboy

seasideboy Senior Member

I have a related question. I, too, am trying to integrate my HT and stereo setup. My stereo setup is a Manley Purist preamp, old Stromberg Carslon power amp (it works!) and Joseph Audio speakers (as well as other speakers for A/B'ing). How can I make this part of an HT setup? How many more pre and power amps will I need? One channel for each? How will those units decode the 5.1 signal? Can I buy a 5.1 receiver and still use my pre/power amps with it?

22. Sckott

No.

You buy a HT preamp and do 2 stereo amps twice, a powered sub and a monblock for the center with it, or you get a HT receiver for everything. Do not pair amps & pre's with receivers.

23. seasideboy

seasideboy Senior Member

that's what I thought. Can the HT preamp and the Manley stereo preamp share everything else in the chain? If not, how about just sharing the speakers with an A/B switcher?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.