Bass Management??

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by audio, Apr 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. audio

audio New Member Thread Starter

Audiophile purists/snobs: Bass Management?? What the heck??

What is "bass management"??

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

3. audio

4. audio

The player I am looking at says "Advanced Bass Management sets each speaker's low-pass crossover point separately" in the specs. This sounds goofy to me. What does this mean for stereo if that's all I am using it for? Is this some bogus effect that I can't shut off? I don't understand what this means. Here is the link for the player I am considering: http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?stk_code=phidvd963sa&SVBName=279

5. Holy Zoo

Holy Zoo Gort (Retired) :-)

If you're using it for stereo with full range speakers and no subwoofer, then just turn bass management off.

6. Angel

Angel New Member

Actually, real men don't need subwoofers. ;)

7. Holy Zoo

Angel: :righton: ;)

8. audio

Right on. So it can be turned off. That's the answer I was wating for. Thanks, Jeff!

9. audio

I'm not sure if I'm a real man or not, but I certainly don't need a subwoofer. I'm not knocking them, but for some reason they give me the creeps.

10. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Half the time, I'm not a real man. ;) Just for the record!

11. Holy Zoo

All the one's I've used have, but I've never played with a Philips. What I suggest you do is go to the Philips website and poke around for their electronics section. They may have a more complete description of the features & options. Sometimes they even have a downloadable pdf instruction manual.

BTW, what's with the "snob" comment up top?

12. audio

I've been to the Philips website. I think it was designed by Lewis Carroll.

The "snob" comment: I've been called an "audiophile snob" so many times by people who don't understand why I don't like multi-channel audio or special effects on my stereo amp, or why I will sit for hours with a stack of shims making sure all my components are perfectly level. Sometimes I get the feeling that we "audiophile two-channel" enthusiasts are viewed by the general public as a band of neurotic snobs. Plus, I'm feeling particularly insane and sensitive this evening because of all the questions and new information surrounding shopping for a new cd player. Sometimes I feel like just going down to the drug store and buying a $99 boom box and forgetting all this "high end" stuff that's driving me up the wall(the MFSL version, that is...aaarrgghhh)! My standards are so high, that not only do most of my friends and family think I'm nuts, I'm starting to feel that way myself!

13. Holy Zoo

14. audio

Thanks! I must have been digging in the wrong place. I've seen the product brochure before. Unless I missed something in both of these links, although it says that "bass management" can be adjusted, does it say if you can just plain turn it off? In any case, I'll just call Philips tomorrow, although I called their product support a few months ago when I was shopping for a TV and it was a miserable experience.

15. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

So you only use a subwoofer half the time...? :D

I think real men build their own subwoofers, one for each corner of the room, using multiple 18" professional drivers powered by about 2400 watts each. Not only can it be felt several blocks away, the lights in the neighborhood dim substantially with each bass drum kick. :D

Signed, Mr. Moe Bass. ;)

I definitely plan on subs when I up my system for home theater use, but I'm still not sure about using them for most music listening.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.