Bass Management

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Frank., Oct 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frank.

Frank. New Member Thread Starter

Does anyone have a recommendation for an add on bass management system. Right now I'm looking at the Outlaw ICBM $249. I'm getting ready to purchase a B&W ASW 650 neither but my DVD-A player or my receiver have bass management.

Frank

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Your choice is to basically buy a sub with the crossover capabilities built in, as most of them do. You won't necessarilly need BOOM management, but if you have it, it helps a lot.

My pre is .1 management able and the sub I use, a KLH, has crossover, amp on board, and also has phasing in/out. You don't need much for a great sub, if you feel that space/room dimmentions are a factor. Otherwize, large speakers and a good power amp can bring good results in the lows.

Nothing wrong with a sub, but good speakers, capable of true full-range, should do well with the appropriate setup....

3. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

;) Ahh, Sckott, in a perfect world...but there are just too many CDs out there without the proper bass levels. And anyway, I love a good thump any day of the week, and the sub provides that. A pain to adjust now and again, but worth it. BTW, Frank, refresh me: are you living in a home or apartment. If the former, a woofer is not only a must but you can get away with it(provided the wife doesn't mind--some people like me just dig a lot of bottom, some don't); if the latter, a sub would probably drive your neighbors into gathering up that eviction petition. Sckott's recommendation is solid, though, if you want to go that way, and if you're in an apartment, probably the way to go.

Happy listening,

ED:cool:

4. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

I use the ICBM and I feel it is an excellent audio product. It works very stealthly in my system which has both SACD and DVDA.

Since I use smaller speakers all around with a sub, the ICBM solved my problem of Bass Management forever.

Now I can sit back and enjoy both SACD and DVDA in each format's full glory.

The only downside to the ICBM is the amount of cables you need to hook it up to these modern players. Right now I have 6 cables each coming from the SACD/DVDA players which go into 2 Radio Shack switchers. Then from the Radio Shack I've got 6 cables going into the ICBM. Then I have 6 cables going into the Denon 3300 A/V Reciever. Sheesh!

But it all works pretty good now.
    I continue to be blown away on how good James Taylore's JT sounds on Multi SACD. Incredible!:)

5. ferric

ferric Iron Dino In Memoriam

Bass need very little management. They swim around the lake looking for food. I toss them day old doughnuts as a special treat. ;)

6. Frank.

Frank. New Member Thread Starter

I am living in a house with a very large living room. My main speakers are B&W 604 S3s (floor standers) They do a very good job with the bass but you know how it is you always feel your missing something. Plus, my surround speakers are Infinity bookshelf.

JohnG

The cable thing does bother me I you can spend way too much on them, and I would like to get a SACD player soon. What kind of switch are you using with your SACD player and DVDA.

Frank

7. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

I'd go as far to say, if you're into home theatre and MCh audio, a sub is vital.

I DO use a sub, but it's because I have sonically unfriendly spaces, and also use the same stuff for HT.

If for just stereo, yes, in a perfect world, your front speakers should be able to take care of <60hz stuff. If not, either a sub or a amp/speaker upgrade will do. Nothing beats using strong front speakers in place OF a sub.

I still have a KLH 100w powered I use. Some poor bastard flew it on ebay as "broken". Just some bad caps. $18 later and some soldering, it came to life.

I love buying broken stuff. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.