Bates Motel on A&E - Anyone Watching? *

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by rockclassics, Mar 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Get2Me

Get2Me Forum Resident

Also, setting this show in modern times means the characters would have knowledge of the actual movie Psycho, if only by way of pop culture media saturation. C'mon, it's an oft studied/debated classic and there's no way they wouldn't be aware of it. That being said, there's no way to explain away Bates Motel as a true prequel, other than in an art-imitates-life kind of way. That's what doesn't add up and what I find difficult to wrap around my brain.

2. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

It's not intended to blend seamlessly into the Hitchcock classic, obviously. I think some of you are thinking way too hard or just putting too much effort into rationalizing not giving it a chance in the first place. It's not that hard of a show to understand.

MikeInFla and JimC like this.
  3. Production in Vancouver is slowly dying because Montreal and Toronto now offer bigger tax breaks. I sometimes go to Langley on business, I'll check out the Bates Motel the next time I'm there. I liked the first episode, I think it caught some of the creepiness of the original. On the other hand, I want to live in this fictional town where a guy can be surrounded by babes who invite him to wild parties the instant he arrives.

4. Which is what "Twin Peaks" did, at least during the first season. I can live with that.

JimC likes this.
  5. I don't recall ever seeing Agent Cooper texting. :tiphat:

kevywevy likes this.
  6. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I can't believe they didn't ante up to license the Hitmen song on which this show is based.

At least, from what I read, the guys in The Hitmen are going to get residuals for the show.

7. True, but Cooper did use a portable miniature tape recorder while surrounded by girls who wore 50's style skirts and shoes and hung out in a diner.

Mazzy likes this.
  8. Sort of like Rachel Sweet!!

9. I hadn't thought of that! Now if I only I could live in a world where Rachel was still releasing records.

10. Jimbo62

Jimbo62 Forum Resident

I thought the 1st episode was good. The time period problem doesn't bother me for some reason. You just have to not think and overthink it (something I'm good at!). The kid was really good and must have studied some film as I thought I saw some Anthony Perkins mannerisms in there. And is it just me or was that teacher that was talking to Norman scary looking or what...

JimC likes this.
  11. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member Thread Starter

Yeah I thought the teacher was weird too. It almost seemed like there was more going on there - like she was going to make a pass at him. I swear she was in another movie I saw - maybe one of the Final Destination movies?

12. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Scary looking? This woman? I think she's super cute. But I'll be Norma won't be so fond of her.

[​IMG]

She was one of the main characters in Final Destination 2. She also plays the recurring role of The Blue Fairy in Once Upon A Time. I remember her from Battlestar Galactica.

13. rockclassics

Thanks. I knew I had seen her before. I didn't recognize her in Once Upon a Time.

14. Texastoyz

Texastoyz Forum Resident

It was ok. I never envisioned Norma Bates as a MILF though. More of like an Ellen Corby/Grandma Walton type.

15. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Wasn't this already done with Anthony Perkins and Henry Thomas ( quite well, I'll add) in Psycho IV: The Beginning?

16. billdcat

billdcat Well-Known Member

Heard a rumor that they first pitched this show to PBS under the working title "Downton Stabby" . :hide:

Mazzy likes this.
  17. The kid is great. He is British and played Charlie in the Tim Burton Chocolate factory film.

18. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

19. spewey

spewey Senior Member

I love Vera Farmiga soooooooooo much!!

Myke and waxtomcat like this.
  20. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Finally caught it today. It's pretty dark, but interesting. I may have to go for the whole season.

21. waxtomcat

waxtomcat Forum Resident

I agree. Anything that puts her on my TV once a week is okay by me!

Lonson likes this.
  22. gottafeelin

gottafeelin Forum Resident

I
    had
    no
    clue.

Reading that wiki entry has now ruined several movies for me and will probably give me nightmares for six months.

23. rockclassics

New episode - number 2 tonight in about 35 minutes.

24. rockclassics

Interesting.....they just quoted William Blake's The Tyger. This is the same verse that is used in The Mentalist when referring to Red John.

Tyger! Tyger! burning bright
    In the forests of the night,
    What immortal hand or eye
    Could frame thy fearful symmetry?

25. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

You're thinking too hard. What if this is a world in which the events of Psycho and the movie never took place? That isn't so hard to imagine, is it?

Doh, that's a Wikipedia entry I wish I had never read...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.