Bates Motel on A&E - Anyone Watching? *

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by rockclassics, Mar 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spewey

spewey Senior Member

This show is awesome!

2. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

I watched the pilot and really enjoyed it, looking forward to seeing where it leads.

3. 200 Motels

200 Motels Forum Resident

Just watched episode #2 last night. Very interesting show. This episode really laid out a lot of branches and I can not wait to see where they go. A lot more twists to the old Psycho story :)

4. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

I don't know, I watched the first episode and while I enjoyed the acting a lot, I found some of the graphic scenes, a bit too graphic, especially that scene with the mother and the former Psycho house owner. Hitchcock would have done that scene with much more class and I fear that while they are dead on (pardon the pun), with their telling the story of how Norman became, well, NORMAN, they are delivering it, a bit heavy handed! My wife did not watch with me on DVR, but when I told her about that scene alone, she said, "I won't watch that!" and that is a sometimes a deal killer in the watching of television, in the Chris C household! Hell, I just finally got her to stick with "The Big Bang Theory"!

wayneklein likes this.
  5. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Which opens the prospect of people live-tweeting their Bates Motel experience. OMG, is some1 watching me through the wall? #perv

Marble Index likes this.
  6. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

Have you ever seen the opening rape/murder scene from Hitchcock's "Frenzy"? That is far more graphic than the scene from Bates Motel.

7. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

I have not and thanks to your heads up, I probably never will. If what you say is true, I stand corrected on my "done with much more class by Hitchcock", comment!

8. 200 Motels

I will admit their is a strange sexual tension in this series.. It sure was weird in episode 2 when Norma undressed in front of Norman and seemed to enjoy it. Norman could not turn his head away. Seems like the series will try to push some uneasy boundaries with the viewers.

9. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member Thread Starter

Yeah I noticed that too. Norman seemed embarrassed to me but his mother seemed like it was no big deal.....sort of giving him a show. The scene with his teacher was weird too....like she was coming on to Norman.

10. 200 Motels

It is pretty safe to say that Bates Motel will provide plenty of psychological insight to the Norman Bates we find in Hitchcock's Psycho. The twists with the criminal factions in the town and corrupt cops are the twists and turns I'm most looking forward to. No way to predict what's is happening with that angle. I'm sure that is something even Hitchcock could not dream up.

11. Yes Frenzy is disturbing just watched it recently again. I too saw episode 2. Like the show but still wish it took place in the 50s. Seems its not just the Bates who have skeletons in their closet.

12. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

This is an intriguing show. Something is not quire 'right' about it for me, but I'm still watching.

13. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

One thing I find in real life is that old off-the-road motels often have a strange, "displaced from time" feel to them that can be a little unsettling at times, even spooky. Keeping the look of the house and motel consistent with the original movie, but making the show contemporary has the nice effect (perhaps intentionally, perhaps not) of tapping into that sense of dislocation.

Of course, I read a lot of comics as a kid. One trick comic book readers learn is that you can make inconsistent continuity line up if, well, you just squint a bit. After all, the location of Tony Stark's pivotal injury has routinely changed, changing from the Vietnam War to the Gulf War to Afghanistan without explanation. But the essential story elements have stayed more or less consistent, so we just roll with it. So I'm not really that out of sorts that it's hard to reconcile precisely with the original film.

14. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Not sure I'm nuts about giving the town a Twin Peaks-esque dark undercurrent, teeming with secrets. It could serve to make the titular Bates Motel itself less special, if it's not handled with care.

15. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Robert Bloch's book "Psycho" came out a year before the film, so they aren't required to follow the lead from the original film. I can't imagine the series without Hitchcock's mansion and hotel and can't remember if Van Sant's remake used the same set.

16. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

I really like this so far. There's a definite Twin Peaks vibe going on, good solid acting, lots of dysfunctional sexual tension and quite a few secrets and mysteries. My kind of show. Somehow I think Hitch would approve.

17. rockclassics

I sure hope this show does good enough in the ratings so it doesn't get canceled and leaves us hanging with unresolved storylines.

18. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

---------------
    This is another great show not on a major network. How far have the big 3 fallen. Great cast.

19. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

---------------
    She was excellent in Boy In The Striped Pajamas.

20. rockclassics

New episode coming up tonight in about 30 minutes.

21. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

My first episode. I'm liking it already.

22. rockclassics

Well, no one got killed tonight. But Norman had some kinky thoughts about his teacher. :shh:

23. 200 Motels

I think the third episode focused a little too much on criminal elements of the town. Is the actual Bates Motel even going to open this season? Seems like Norma, Norman, and the brother are too caught up in criminal acts to even worry about the actual Bates Motel :)

24. Great point

25. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

In that regard, Norman is just like every other high school boy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.