Bates Motel on A&E - Anyone Watching? *

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by rockclassics, Mar 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

Yes, she has transformed into the most unlikeable character on the show.

JimW and rockclassics like this.
  2. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

Actually, he did not.

D-rock likes this.
  3. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Well, not only did he kill her mother, but I think Emma was coming to the same realization that Madeline had...Dylan knew about Norman all this time and let it go on. He sure didn't ever tell Emma he had suspicions that Norman had killed her Mom...years ago. That's a pretty big lie to keep from your wife.

chacha and Rufus McDufus like this.
  4. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

That's what I found strange. She went from a meek girl with a condition where she has to have air canisters with her to a confident outgoing woman who is in control of more than I could imagine for her. The writers didn't put forth effort with that transition.

JimW likes this.
  5. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Keep in mind they jumped over two years in her life, during which her health improved, she got married and had a baby... she'd be different at the end of that.

rburly likes this.
  6. JimW

JimW In the Process of Becoming

And that's really saying something on this show!!!

Strange direction for the writers to take her. It doesn't make sense to me...

7. JimW

JimW In the Process of Becoming

That;s a good point. But Dylan had shared much of his suspicions/ worries about Norman w/ her. And she knew how much Dylan struggled w/ his family situation. He was in a tough position- do you make accusations against your own brother if they're just thoughts w/ no hard evidence? Again, very little/ no empathy shown by Emma for someone you supposedly love- and who saved your life.

She always seemed so sensitive and open previously; I just find it hard to see how her journey would have hardened her so.

D-rock likes this.
  8. Squealy

I'm confused that anyone finds it confusing that she would be deeply upset or angered or disturbed that her brother in law, someone she considered a good friend, murdered her mother (and other people) and that her husband knew about it and is now helping him. I think anyone might have trouble reacting empathetically or rationally to that situation.

chacha, marcb, Paul Mazz and 3 others like this.
  9. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I have to agree with Squealy. . . relationships and marriages have been tanked by far less . . . .

10. Squealy

I also think going to see Norman (after saying she never wanted to see him again) showed that Emma had more complicated feelings than she was maybe willing to show to Dylan. And that having seen he's not himself she may now have a different understanding for him going forward (not that there's much more time for that).

marcb, JimW and Lonson like this.
  11. Ron Scubadiver

Ron Scubadiver Forum Resident

Not watching, but I am experiencing similar levels of hospitality where I am right now.

12. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

He found her Mother's earring, right? And then hid it from Emma all that time. I'd consider that hard evidence.

As far as the change in Emma....I think some people aren't getting that there's been at least two years time lapse since last season. She went from the fragile tube girl to being a mother.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
    rburly likes this.
  13. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member Thread Starter

Just discovered that A&E is showing all of the 5th season episodes today. Tonight is the final episode.

14. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

And also there is a 30 minute cast party after the episode.

15. balzac

balzac Senior Member

And I'm still pegging this after show to be a minor and possibly major trainwreck. The "After Hours" show they tried a couple times a few seasons back make Chris Hardwick's awful "Talking Dead" seem like freaking David Frost.

With all the commercials, I don't anticipate they'll be able to give the show a proper sendoff in what will amount to about 19 minutes of actual programming. They'll all miss the show. It probably won't get much past that.

16. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

So does Dylan find out about his Dad tonight?

17. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member Thread Starter

T minus 22 minutes and counting.......

18. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

So Dylan still doesn't know? I forget.

19. Bowieboy

Bowieboy Forum Resident

I will admit that I was actually choked up, although in a way it worked out for the best for everyone involved.

chacha likes this.
  20. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

It was a good, appropriate ending. Bates Motel was a solid show -- never more than that for me, aside from Vera Farmiga's Emmy-worthy acting -- and it ended well. I even cared a little for Dylan at the end...

rockclassics and IronWaffle like this.
  21. Squealy

It felt right, how things worked out. The show's take on Psycho was always more tragedy than horror and tragic was how it ended. Though I was a little bothered that Norman could not only come back to the house but open up the motel and stay there for a whole day without the cops knowing anything about it. The sheriff even asked them to go there!

22. Bowieboy

Bowieboy Forum Resident

The one thing I did find interesting was since the first season everyone assumed that Dylan and Emma would both somehow die before we got to Marion Crane's entrance on the show, and instead they turned out to be the two who survived.

IronWaffle, Sean Murdock and chacha like this.
  23. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Dylan (Max) was wonderful in the final scene.

IronWaffle and Sean Murdock like this.
  24. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

On Norma being dead:
    Norman: "Well, I disagree."
    Dylan: "It's not something you can agree or disagree with!" :laugh:

25. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

I thought the final episode was about as good as it could have been. It makes sense that Romero would not be involved. It also makes sense Dylan would be the one to end it and it also allowed Emma to redeem whatever issues anyone had with her character this season. I'm happy there is really no room to continue the show in the future as these 50 episodes should stand alone and be it.

MikeInFla, IronWaffle and chacha like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.