Bates Motel on A&E - Anyone Watching? *

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by rockclassics, Mar 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member Thread Starter

Last night's episode was another good one - very suspenseful.

The interchange with the sheriff was interesting - not sure what Norma was thinking. But I think the sheriff figured it right - that Norma thought she had something on him and he would agree to whatever she wanted. I suspect he is more involved in either the motel "business" or the "field of green business".

I think there are 2 more new episodes for this season. I suspect they will leave us hanging as to the storyline to get us to come back next season. I don't expect too much will get resolved in the next couple of episodes.

2. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

I'm enjoying how many parts of the show are building blocks toward the movie. From Norman's quick to anger outbursts, to Norma's controlling of Norman to Norman being intrigued with taxidermy (loved the blues playing in the background!). The show is well written and acted IMO. Love it!

noname74 likes this.
  3. rockclassics

New episode tonight. Tonight's episode and next week's episode are the last two for this season.

4. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

Thanks for the heads up!

5. Chip Z

Chip Z Forum Resident

rburly likes this.
  6. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Yeah, another good episode. Do we think that Norman or Norma actually has the $150K stashed away somewhere?

7. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

I'm still not really sure what I think of the show. It's interesting, but in the grand scheme of things I don't know if it actually adds up to much. I'm positive that it needs to be more than 10 episodes per season to really fulfill all the elements it has introduced.

8. 200 Motels

200 Motels Forum Resident

I have fallen off the wagon with this show for awhile now. Plan on catching up with my DVR soon. I have a question for you.

Did the Bates Motel ever officially open? If not, I guess there is always next season!!!!

9. applecakes

applecakes viva la vinyl

It is very hard to set up a huge story in 450 minutes. A lot of first seasons are truncated. Hopefully season two will be 20 or 22 episodes. I think it is doing quite well for A&E. not sure how big the budget is, hopefully they aren't in the red.

Clear off your DVR and get ready for the finale on Monday. The first motel guest has a critical role.

10. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

I wouldn't ever expect a network-sized season order for Bates Motel. If it gets increased for Season Two, it will be to 12 or 13 episodes. Producers love the cable model and don't WANT to be pressed to crank out 22 episodes a year.

11. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

It is open and there are currently rooms filled.

Totally agree. Too many times recently with serialized drama I really liked the show, but then got bored, and I think a lot of that had to do with the story taking too long to develop and too many plots opened and closed without consequence to fill time. I gave up on both Revenge and Once Upon A Time for this reason.

12. rockclassics

As agentalbert stated above, the hotel is open for business. There was a mysterious guest in Room 9 who was asked to leave. Now there are a bunch of "croppers" in several of the rooms. Norma is not happy about the blue smoke with the funny smell coming from these people. :nyah:

13. rockclassics

I think they do - but, they just don't know that they do - yet.

14. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

We know the sheriff's involved in all the bad stuff, right?

15. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Nope, we don't. He may be. We really don't know what side he's on, or if he's in someone's pocket.

I think Norma could be helped by smoking a doobie herself.

The part where the girl on oxygen ate the pot cupcake was stupid, I thought...

16. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Big time.

17. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Can we give another shout-out to what a fantastic job Vera Farmiga has done on this show? She is playing Norma brilliantly as a nutcase who truly believes that SHE'S the sane one and everyone around her is crazy. Her collection of facial tics and incredulous expressions is terrific, and none of it comes off as hammy or over-the-top. She can turn on a dime from fawning and sweet to irritated and dismissive on a dime. Great stuff.

hernan-r, spewey, xilef regnu and 3 others like this.
  18. Have you ever ate a pot cupcake? That was pretty spot on. :laughup:

19. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Oh, I thought her reaction was realistic enough. The part I thought was silly was that she was willing to eat the cupcake...

20. i get it but i think she wants to fit in since she also isa bit of an outsider. wants something..

21. ringosshed

ringosshed Forum Resident

Is Norman's teacher coming on to him?

22. She totally has a dark side or big secret.

xilef regnu likes this.
  23. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I don't know about that, but I wouldn't be surprised if Norma thought so (once she meets or observes her) or started a rumor to the effect as a way of getting her to stay away from Norman. Anytime Norman mentions another female's name, Norma is instantly suspicious.

But holy mackerel, that's the kind of teacher I wish had come on to me in high school.

24. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

She has a short life expectancy, wouldn't she want to try every experience she can while she can?

25. Exactly. At least they didn't play a song with a sitar over the scene.

LSP2003 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.