"Batgirl" shelved by Warner Brothers

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ghostworld, Aug 2, 2022.

1. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

2. Bluesman Mark

Bluesman Mark I'm supposed to put something witty here....

But they've got to find a way to shoehorn Kilmer, Clooney & Bale as Batmen in it also.... "Screw the continuity & canon!! There's money to be made here!" :D :laugh:

3. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

The problem is that just because HBOMAX is affiliated doesn't mean advertising is zero cost.

4. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Maybe they should just turn it over to these guys and let them do their thing.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 3, 2022
  5. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

zobalob likes this.
  6. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on

Well, you can watch this for taste of what you missed...

7. bloodisthin

bloodisthin And after all, we're only ordinary men

8. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

Honestly, I now suspect that this “cancellation” is only part of the hype machine. I mean, I’m usually up to date on future comic book releases and this one slipped under my radar until this news appeared. It’s free press. If I was a betting man I’d put money on them reversing their decision within the month. But that would all depend on the level of public outcry. If this is all planned then I doubt it will take very much.

9. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

Apparently it was bad enough to throw away $90 million dollars.

10. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Damn. I’d have probably watched this for Keaton, Simmons and Fraser alone. DCWarnersHBODiscovery must really think they have a piece of crap on their hands if they can’t ride the wave of Michael Keaton Batman nostalgia with this flick.

Of course, Margot Robbie couldn’t even save the terrible Harley Quinn / Birds Of Prey film, and I think her Harley is great. Maybe DC are learning their lesson.

I have to think a conversation was had: “How does this figure in to the Robert Pattinson Batman franchise we already have? It doesn’t? What about Joker? It doesn’t tie into that either??”

11. Chrome_Head

You’re joking? There are several set photos here, including Simmons as Gordon, the Firefly suit and the Keaton batsuit.

MikaelaArsenault and FredV like this.
  12. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

That was unwatchable by humans. A pal of mine at WB worked on some of the post on Catwoman, and he told me right before release they had like 6 different versions of the film: the director's version, the editor's version, the producer's version, the studio's version, the marketing department's version, all of them different: some more moody, some faster-paced, some more sinister, some more violent. I asked him, "are any of them any good?" and he shook his head. Total disaster -- cost $100 million, made $84M. As far as I know, the director (Pitof) never worked again.

I dunno what their thinking is, because it couldn't be that bad that you couldn't show it as a Pay TV movie on HBOMax. There's a lot of weirdness going on at Warner Bros.

13. ognirats

ognirats haruhist

Honestly I'm not surprised another cape$hit movie failed, however not getting even released really speaks something

14. zombie dai

zombie dai people live in dreams, but not in their own

how much would the promotions cost? so 90 mill plus...?

15. zombie dai

keaton's back?!

16. Hammerhead

Hammerhead Forum Resident

17. Chrome_Head

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Bluesman Mark

Bluesman Mark I'm supposed to put something witty here....

Personally, I think we need a film with both Jared Leto & Joaquin Phoenix as the Jokers & Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn. Given the edginess of the relationship between the Joker & Harley, it could be a stunning, errrrr, hot mess. Which Joker does she love? Which one does she kill? I mean, if you have multiple Batmen in a movie, why not multiple Jokers?

In the future, we'll all be Batman or Joker for fifteen minutes.... or maybe Bat-Mite. :D

Hammerhead likes this.
  19. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Not Keaton, it’s his body double.

20. jwstl

jwstl Forum Resident

I have zero interest in this film but I’m following the story because I’m a fan of HBO and HBO Max and I think this speaks to the future of Max if not both. If you think AT&T was a terrible WB owner just wait until Discovery digs into it and cuts costs way down. I don’t have much hope for the continued excellence of HBO and Max.

OldSoul and RSteven like this.
  21. Chrome_Head

He’s in the movie however.

22. zombie dai

batman returns! for his pension

23. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

A few interesting takes on the whole fiasco around Batgirl & Scoob.

24. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

I believe that is actually his stunt double.

25. paste

paste Forum Resident